Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times

Advertisements

Just wanting to get an idea of what my options are regarding paying back of a personal loan I gave to a supposed friend. I had loaned him $8000 to bail him out of personal financial difficulties-I wrote 'LOAN" on the memo, FWIW. It was to be paid back to me via paypal- as I have sinced moved to australia, at $120 per month until repaid in full. My friend has since passed on unexpectedly, and now the family is saying they are "withholding" $4000 of that money because I "owe" them that, for acts of kindness my friend had done for me. Is this even legal? What options, if any do I have? Would it even be worth it to pursue this from Australia, or am I just basically at their pathetic mercy? Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times
If they pay you back $4,000, I'd say you'd be lucky. You might be able to file against the estate, hopefully others will tell you how to do this. I'd assume you'd need a lawyer. I lost a car in this same type of situation. His new wife refused to honor what was owed me, and took all of his millions and ran. I didnt pursue it though. Good luck and hope you get the entire amount.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times
Oh I should say that since I settled my parents trust, they wont want a lien against it. It'll delay them getting whats due them. It could take a long time. Maybe if you tell them thats what you're going to do, it might scare them into settling with you.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Just wanting to get an idea of what my options are regarding paying back of a personal loan...
My friend has since passed on unexpectedly...

Would it even be worth it to pursue this from Australia
or am I just basically at their pathetic mercy?
Start with getting the $4000.
Deposit the funds, take a deep breath and see how you feel then.

Beware of any release statements that may come with the money.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
It doesn't take long to run up a big bill with a lawyer.

Take what you can get and call it a day. Be prepared to write it off.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
THanks all!! Looks like I'm pretty much SOL-Lesson learned!!!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
If you have a written and signed loan contract you can file against his estate for the total amount you can prove is owed. It doesn’t require a lawyer as the basis is the note and payment history. If all you have is 'Loan" on the memo line, write it off as odds are you will never be able to prove he still owed you the money.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:24 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
From what I remember from Business Law, writing something on the memo is not legally binding. Its simply a memo, like a note to yourself. To be legally binding, it must be written on the BACK of the check, below the signature line. By signing, the receipient is acknowledging the terms of the verbage written below. For example, I always write "payment in full for all services rendered to 123 street" so a repair person can't file a lien later.

Getting money out of an estate is extremely difficult and probably not worth it for the amount involved. Especially being in another country.I seem to recall you have to file a claim against the estate in person in a certain time frame, or appoint an attorney to act in your behalf. There goes your money right there! Also, it sounds like they are prepared to fight claims, so......

Pat yourself on the back for helping a friend in need at a difficult point in his life, and let it go.......

Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If you have a written and signed loan contract you can file against his estate for the total amount you can prove is owed. It doesn’t require a lawyer as the basis is the note and payment history. If all you have is 'Loan" on the memo line, write it off as odds are you will never be able to prove he still owed you the money.

So true....one can't prove a negative. You can prove what he paid, via receipts, deposits, etc, but you can't prove he didn't pay it........

Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
take them to judge judy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics