U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 02:58 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times

Advertisements

its easier to get a better job, while already working at one- send out resume's , go for the interviews, you cant teach motivation, so be enthusiastic in the interviews, do research on the companies, offer a few ideas as a consumer
attitude makes the man,,, or woman,,not the car you drive, everyone can respect frugality, because its discipline,,

avoiding stupid mistakes is half the battle...use the good advice everyone else has given about vehicles, being thrifty, watch every penny you spend.
living poor doesnt mean feeling poor- as many have written, you can separate need, from want....
some people dont have tv's saves them the expense of the tv, and 60-180 mnth on a cable bill
some folks get a used laptop, and many places has free wireless..

by cheap stuff on craigslist or goodwill- target "reduced" produce, such as bananas, when they are brown-sometimes 10 cents per lb
by cheap chicken on sale-leg quarters, under 1.00lb
by the ramon noodles..

, the 1.00 frozen pizzas , drink water not other costly beverages,

again, its all in attitude- if i had to start over again, id be going to my nearest independent grocery store- and ask them if i can work, in exchange for food, even if you are cleaning the floors for a few hours, it will add up and save on groceries- just look respectable if you do this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 03:41 AM

17 posts, read 22,912 times
It is really easy to get out of poverty. Look to stand on your own two feet...Meaning if your working for someone else...your lining their bank account and your just working to make them money..
Been there done that...LOL

I was working for guy cleaning carpets for a national franchise chain..Yes the one person who gave me a chance in life.....I own him a great deal and he treated my own kids with the upmost respect...If I was to get my kids for the weekend This wonderful man cleared my entire day so I can be there with my kids got off the bus from school.. He was Morman if anyone cares...

Anyway this gave me insite how to be a good boss and how to build a business of my own..
I was never poverty working there but I did not just toss money away either....I knew what I was doing for him and just started to collect my own cleaning equipment just in case....

I built a local chain of cleaning companies that has the best service rating for my area and the best customer satisfaction in the entire region!!

I went from hoping to get a job for almost 4 years after my conviction and homeless to owning four homes and buying my exwife and her husband a really nice home that they now have a total of 9 kids together!!

So what was my secrete to getting started?? Nothing at all.. I just did things smart, trusted my own judgement and persued my goals little by little and NEVER second guess your first insticts on how to get yourself going...you have the knowledge...just Have to use it and be smart about doing it. Meaning don't go out a buy a new car at the first sign of success, often business goes in waves of great, holy cow I am rich, to oh snap....where did my customers go?? Businesses fluxuate with the world news and whats going on in your region or state..

Good Luck I hope you can rise above the rest how didn't have the balls to even ask how. Kudos to you..
p.s. dont let anyone including family to drag you down or take you under with them...and NEVR ever do business with family...EVER! for any reason..
I even turned down family as a customer while I was starving...don't regret it one bit because ther'e always a catch that will take you under...

Old 02-23-2013, 03:50 AM

64,529 posts, read 66,075,955 times
not for nothing but why are you bragging about your screen name? i can tell you no one will like you any better for it and a whole lot will like you even less so why bother?

just sayin!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,484,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not for nothing but why are you bragging about your screen name? i can tell you no one will like you any better for it and a whole lot will like you even less so why bother?

just sayin!

He is probably like you joining in on that condiment suit about how "one size fits all"

Old 02-23-2013, 06:56 AM

3,634 posts, read 4,854,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Once you realise that most luck is by hard work and effort ;you might learned the answer.
I disagree. Some people do have bad luck. Not everyone is so stupid that they don't uderstand the concept of working hard. Some people do just keep having situations and obstacles pop up once they think they almost have their head above water once again. Life is more complex than a simple A + B - G = F type of equation that society and people say is the path to success. Sometimes people that give advice and have used that equation to succeed like others they know don't understand that not everyone has all parts of the equation or some people have other variables that you never knew existed or maybe you can't relate to.

Sometimes people that have the ability to give opportunities make decisions that prevent someone from having that same opportunity that they had because they came from a different background or saw past mistakes in the applicants history and make a complete judgement of the person based on that.

Life hasn't been as simple as what your path or your buddy's path has been for me and for other people. I wish being the hardest worker meant that you will be noticed by people in the high places, but in my case it has meant that I will be the workhorse and watch azzkissers or people with more charisma get promoted and get opportunities. People like me struggled for 8 years to get a 2 year degree because of family issues, and the people in power look at my inexperience and time gap between finishing school and judge me without knowing what I was going through in life. I can try and try and be the best I can be, but that hasn't helped me.

I've seen people, lot's of people in my path who have worked along side me or who I grew up with that I knew didn't work as hard as me, yet they got the opportunity as I was held back once again. It's great for them and I don't hold anything against them for it, but it sucks when some things are beyond your control. And don't forget, God also keeps us where he wants us to be in this life for his purpose (Christians), so for someone to tell me I didn't try hard enough or do this or that to succeed, well maybe God's idea of success for my life is not what this world calls success.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 AM

There will always be those for which there is no hope . There can be a whole host of reasons from luck to location .

But for the most part i will say that where there is a will there is a way.

Given the exact same situation you will have those that will go on to be successful and those who think they can't so they never will.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
I used my tax return to buy a large chest freezer.
I've heard things like this a lot, but I'm 34 and have worked since I was 16 and not one year went by where I even had enough money from a tax return to do anything except keep a roof over my head. So, I guess for people like me, we don't have the same opportunity to do things like this to invest into making our situation better. I'm a single guy, no kids, never been married, never had a credit card, and I'm getting about $300 back on my taxes this year, but I know people with 3 kids who will be getting back over $3000 in taxes and they pay about $800 a month for rent and get food stamps, yet the money they have will be gone in a few months after they buy liquor, smokes, go out to eat, go to the movies, bars, ect..while spending only half of the tax return on their kids. Now the way this system works is ridiculous for single white males like me. There are no benefits for being a hard worker and being responsible with your money. Seems we always get stuck and get to watch others succeed for their irresponsible actions.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 AM

maybe they have special low income credits that perhaps you are not taking or entitled to or just had more witheld and over paid their taxes.. comparing taxes is useless without every bit of data to compare..

Old 02-23-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Given the exact same situation you will have those that will go on to be successful and those who think they can't so they never will.
Wish this life of complexities was as simple as your statement. There are many types of people, situations, degrees of struggle and pain, various sorts of obstacles, personality disorders, health issues, job/life experiences, people in your path of life that close/open doors, amount of places you've lived, and I can go on and on, but sometimes no matter how hard you try things do not go your way. Some people do succeed in similar situations, but coming from a world where every part of life was low income for every success story you'll find lots more people that are stuck and did actually try thier hardest to overcome yet could not because there just aren't that many opportunities for each person and because the amount of people in power that cannot relate to the situations of the applicant that came from poverty compared to those who understand and open a door of opportunity.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 AM

26,837 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I disagree. Some people do have bad luck.
no doubt.
Attached Thumbnails
How hard is it to get out of poverty?-everythinghappens.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics