U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:08 AM

5,106 posts, read 6,071,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sex_offender View Post
It is really easy to get out of poverty. Look to stand on your own two feet...Meaning if your working for someone else...your lining their bank account and your just working to make them money..
Been there done that...LOL

I was working for guy cleaning carpets for a national franchise chain..Yes the one person who gave me a chance in life.....I own him a great deal and he treated my own kids with the upmost respect...If I was to get my kids for the weekend This wonderful man cleared my entire day so I can be there with my kids got off the bus from school.. He was Morman if anyone cares...

Anyway this gave me insite how to be a good boss and how to build a business of my own..
I was never poverty working there but I did not just toss money away either....I knew what I was doing for him and just started to collect my own cleaning equipment just in case....

I built a local chain of cleaning companies that has the best service rating for my area and the best customer satisfaction in the entire region!!

I went from hoping to get a job for almost 4 years after my conviction and homeless to owning four homes and buying my exwife and her husband a really nice home that they now have a total of 9 kids together!!

So what was my secrete to getting started?? Nothing at all.. I just did things smart, trusted my own judgement and persued my goals little by little and NEVER second guess your first insticts on how to get yourself going...you have the knowledge...just Have to use it and be smart about doing it. Meaning don't go out a buy a new car at the first sign of success, often business goes in waves of great, holy cow I am rich, to oh snap....where did my customers go?? Businesses fluxuate with the world news and whats going on in your region or state..

Good Luck I hope you can rise above the rest how didn't have the balls to even ask how. Kudos to you..
p.s. dont let anyone including family to drag you down or take you under with them...and NEVR ever do business with family...EVER! for any reason..
I even turned down family as a customer while I was starving...don't regret it one bit because ther'e always a catch that will take you under...
All in all, I agree with your theme and it seems you learned through each experience and came out the better for it. That is a lesson in itself.

I would only add, live below your means, get an education or skill to do what you like, just do the best you can each day. Give of yourself to others; it will come back to you. Treat people kindly but value yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 AM

64,745 posts, read 66,226,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Let me ask you now. What is your idea of poverty, and what was your experience that lead you to learn the checklist that you provided?
common sense i would believe. taking care of the basics might not always lead to success but it sure will make it far harder to achieve and increase the odds of not having failure..

want a good sample of this , just watch a week of judge judy. see the morons with 2 and 3 kids and no means of support, education or a even a plan.

plus it wasn't like it was some unfortunate issue like the husband died and he had a great job.

there was no husband , no job and no thought.

alot of those in poverty in this country comitted their own financial suicide.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:18 AM

28,777 posts, read 2,364,477 times
"Ability is of little account without opportunity." ~Lucille Ball

Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 AM

3,634 posts, read 4,858,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
want a good sample of this , just watch a week of judge judy. see the morons with 2 and 3 kids and no means of support, education or a even a plan.
I laugh at these kinds of people all the time. I love watching the Maury show sometimes and seeing these people come back for multiple DNA tests to find out who was the mother or father of their child. I just hate being bunched up with these people because I'm in the lower income bracket. These people are nothing like me. I actually know how to budget what little money I have, and make a decision to not sleep around or do other things that would cause more financial strain and problems in my life. I'[ve just had some hard times to overcome with little opportunity.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 AM

and you just may be the casualty of plain old bad luck and for you we are sorry . but that does not change the financial suicide much of america brings on themselves.

one of my favorite comedy skits is sam kinisons growing food in a desert skit.

he is sitting on the floor sifting in sand. he goes this is sand. nothing grows in sand.

instead of aid and money we should be sending u-halls and vans to these starving countries so they can move to where the food is.

as sam said move to where the food is, what a novel idea.

much of the poor just keeps sifting through that sand over and over waiting for something to grow.

many lost jobs and are still chasing ghosts instead of re-grouping and going elsewhere or into different fields.

go to where the food is , i have had to do that personally and my company had to do that to survive .

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-23-2013 at 08:51 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 AM

mathjak107 - Does your computer keypad not have a shift key?

Last edited by geebabe; 02-23-2013 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 AM

actually i am left handed and only can type with one finger so using the shift key is really a pain.

anyone who is bothered by it can just skip reading and move on.

if all anyone can comment about on any of my posts is i hate using a shift key then i suggest anything in them would be a waste to read anyway for them.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:18 AM

341 posts, read 425,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Let me ask you now. What is your idea of poverty, and what was your experience that lead you to learn the checklist that you provided?
My idea of poverty is the Federal Poverty Guidelines, used to qualify for most government entitlement programs.

These are the guidelines for 2013 Federal Poverty Guidelines

People that have income under 100% for their household size are considered living in poverty. People at these income levels get free rent in the form of Section 8, free food (food stamps), free child care, free health care, and are entitled to utility assistance. Yet they still usually end up in crisis and can't make their bills.

For a household of 1, you are doing fine making $20,000/yr, and would not be considered "living in poverty" according to the federal government. As you add people to the household, with that same income it gets a little harder.

I have worked with non-profit agencies that serve homeless and people in the lowest income levels. The people they serve are given every chance to take advantage of opportunities to better themselves. These "family self-sufficiency" programs have little success rate. People will line up for days for free housing, but are nowhere in site when a job fair is in town.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
actually i am left handed and only can type with one finger so using the shift key is really a pain.

anyone who is bothered by it can just skip reading and move on.

if all anyone can comment about on any of my posts is i hate using a shift key then i suggest anything in them would be a waste to read anyway for them.
Dude, don't put words into my post. I only asked a question. So if what you're saying is you can only type with one finger, fine, but I don't see what being left-handed has to do with that. (I have two left-handed adult children who both know how to type.)

However, since you stated you only can type with one finger (be it on the right hand or left hand) then good for you. I am really sorry I offended you because you "only can type with one finger".

Last edited by geebabe; 02-23-2013 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: oops

Old 02-23-2013, 12:27 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,878,590 times
The polarization of wealth that has occurred in the US over the last 30 years is historic in its scale. Upward social and economic mobility are more difficult now than at any time in our history. It is no secret the middle class is disappearing and they ain't migrating upwards. While it is still possible, certainly, to escape poverty, I would argue that it is more difficult to do so than ever before, and all evidence indicates it will only get harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics