U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 01:24 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,765,271 times

Advertisements

It's a lot easier to point out why people stay in poverty than it is to explain to them how to get out of poverty, because there is not an A-B-C formatted list to follow. Just read back over this thread and see all the rationalizations and excuses about why a person stays where they stay.

Co-workers don't work as hard (so what? You aren't trying to get them ahead). God wants me to stay poor (really?). The man is keeping me down (sure, if you say so). My tax return is too small (I don't even know what to say about this one). Nobody ever gives me a break ( and they never will. You have to make your own opportunities. If you wait for someone else to do it for you, then you will wait forever).

The truth is that many people with low incomes are at their comfort level. Getting ahead makes them nervous, so they come up with all sorts of justifications about why they can't try. Many of them expect someone else to do it for them. Hey, maybe that lottery will do it?

Getting that paycheck is the most effort that they are willing to put into it, and even getting a paycheck is expecting someone else to do it for you. For that paycheck, someone else has organized and run the business. It is someone else's investment. It is someone else making the sales, and doing the books, and studying the regulations, locating the raw materials, and finding out what the customers will buy.

If you want out of poverty, you must make the decision that you are getting out, and then you must study to get the knowledge about how to get out, and then you must actually take the steps. Making excuses is what keeps you down.

A quote from a wildly successful cousin of mine. He wondered why some people got wealthy and some didn't, so he studied the people around him. This is what he came up with. The facts are exactly the same for everybody. The only difference between this person and that is what they have done with that information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 01:51 PM

736 posts, read 398,136 times
The key to freedom is education. Plus, by becoming a tight wad. I worked as an aide in nursing homes, got Pell Grants and but myself through a cheap jr. college for a registered nursing degree. I have made > $100,000 per year. I have a career that is such a blessing and I actually look forward to going to work every day. Anyone in America can become whatever they want to become. All it takes is Factor D (determination).

Old 02-23-2013, 02:35 PM

3,634 posts, read 4,855,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's a lot easier to point out why people stay in poverty than it is to explain to them how to get out of poverty, because there is not an A-B-C formatted list to follow. Just read back over this thread and see all the rationalizations and excuses about why a person stays where they stay.

Co-workers don't work as hard (so what? You aren't trying to get them ahead).

I was only pointing out how my experience has been, not giving an excuse to not work hard or be responsible like I already am. I was showing people the path I have been on. Seeing people around me who I know do not work as hard who have gotten breaks when I didn't to prove the point that it doesn't really matter sometimes who the best man for the job is. Simple as that. This has nothing to do with an excuse for my own situation. Sorry if you misunderstood that.

God wants me to stay poor (really?).

I didn't say that God wants people to be poor. In my own path God has used me and used other people to reach me that I wouldn't have had that experiences of if I was on a different path. Wealth might be the 'goal' for worldy people who have no faith in God and even for some who do have faith, but his plan to me is more important than any amount of wealth to me. Society has fallen in love with the idea of making money and value it more than most things and has forgotten what's really important. You may see this as me saying my faith is an excuse of why I have remained poor, but how is it that you came to the conclusion that you know what kind of 'success' God has planned for me and my personality? Maybe I'm not like everyone else who goes after the material things in this world. The point of my posts are to show people by my own experience that the world can tell you you didn't do this or that and therefore you haven't been successful, but that is only the mindset of a worldly person. A man of faith knows not to follow the ways of this world. From my experience and by faith I know I'm exactly where I am supposed to be at this point in life. God has closed and opened the right doors for me to build up spiritual riches. People don't think about it this way though. It's hard to tell someone that is consumed by the world that you don't care about being rich or having what most other people have, not to say that I wouldn't like to be comfortable financially and not to say I haven't tried by naturally working hard and being responsible, but there is more to life than having a nice house, a car, good job and all of the things most people think are success.

The man is keeping me down (sure, if you say so).

How would you know what the man has done or what anyone has done or not done to me? Do you also know what I ate for dinner last night? What came out of my azz into the toilet today?

My tax return is too small (I don't even know what to say about this one).

What I would say to this one is that you should read my post again. I was only saying that some people who do have the extra money to invest with thier tax return have a leg up on people like me who have to use the whole thing to pay bills and put a roof overhead. The people who have extra to invest with tax returns and make something out of it tell people like me how to come up financially or how to get out of our situation, yet they had a little extra help that we didn't get and they judge us as if we didn't make smart decisions. If I had the money that some of these people with 3 children get back and waste on cigarettes, clubs, alcohal, drugs, entertainment beleive me I would be able to turn that into something good to better myself. (I don't know what to say about your judgement of my statement).

Nobody ever gives me a break ( and they never will. You have to make your own opportunities. If you wait for someone else to do it for you, then you will wait forever).

Make your own opportunities? Nobody gives breaks? As if I haven't heard or lived like this yet...lol...You're really bunching me together with a lot of other people to beleive you know my story like that. Tell me, since you seem to know my story, what opportunities have I passed up, made, or taken? By the way, lots of successful people gets breaks or help on the way up. Not everyone just simply learns things on thier own, and comes up with the money to start things on thier own.

The truth is that many people with low incomes are at their comfort level. Getting ahead makes them nervous, so they come up with all sorts of justifications about why they can't try.

Try? Comfortable? Yeah sure, I'm very comfortable supporting my unemployed mother realizing I have no foot in the door anywhere to better myself and help her have a place to live when she gets too old. I'm comfortable worrying each month if I'm going to get the hours/tips at work to make ends meet. Yeah, I'm real comfortable here. I guess you are speaking from experience. Your own experience that is. Again, tell me how I have or haven't tried since you know me like that.

of them expect someone else to do it for them. Hey, maybe that lottery will do it?

Yeah sure..ok...I hear people like you on talk radio all the time who seem to know the path to success for each and every individual that is struggling or out of work.

Getting that paycheck is the most effort that they are willing to put into it, and even getting a paycheck is expecting someone else to do it for you. For that paycheck, someone else has organized and run the business.

So, the owner can do all of the jobs required to make his business run smoothly? This is a new concept to me. I should bow down and lick the boots of my employer for allowing me to serve him. I do appreciate being given an opportunity to work, but you are going overboard with this statement. I could actually sue the company where I work for safety concerns but I choose not to. The owners don't care about employees in most jobs. This is a fact. They only care about the money. If they cared about employees they would have asked me how my leg was doing after being attacked by a dog on delivery one day, but they never asked even though they were there and saw me walk in with a bloody leg that day. Still waiting to see if they even care.

It is someone else's investment. It is someone else making the sales, and doing the books, and studying the regulations, locating the raw materials, and finding out what the customers will buy.

If you want out of poverty, you must make the decision that you are getting out, and then you must study to get the knowledge about how to get out, and then you must actually take the steps. Making excuses is what keeps you down.

I'll tell that to the collections people whom I owe 60k to for school loans.

A quote from a wildly successful cousin of mine. He wondered why some people got wealthy and some didn't, so he studied the people around him. This is what he came up with. The facts are exactly the same for everybody. The only difference between this person and that is what they have done with that information.
Sounds like you've pretty much accounted for all the inns and outs of life in your response. Thanks for the advice, but I have heard this and lived this advice since an early age. Nobody starts the race of life at the same point. I've heard what you've said over and over again by people who are ignorant to my own situation and it frustrates me as an individual to be grouped up with a bunch of people as if I'm on the same path and have made the same mistakes. We all have different paths, some harder for others, and that's just how it is, but I don't beleive that being the hardest worker or smartest person is what makes you successful in this society which lives in a box.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:47 PM

Oh, and don't have any kids. Let your brothers and sisters have the kids Borrow them for short times, then give them back when their manners wear off. That way your genetics continue while you get off scot free. Imagine the money you save and the freedom. It costs about a million dollars to raise and educate a kid, look it up. The world is overpopulated anyway.

The person back on the first page said about how to be frugal. I ask myself every time I am about to buy something-- do I really need this? 75-80% of the time I don't. Do everything on the cheap, its fun!

I do not have any credit cards. I do not spend money I don't have and never have done so. I put all my cash into land. Land that can feed me and I can live on and the beauty to feed my soul. Money is just paper, and the investment world is a bunch of financial ant farms. People lost their 401Ks. Those tunnels can shake down Life is enough of a crap shoot as it is. My advice is if you want to do something there is nothing to it but to get after it. Get education in something that floats your boat and pays fairly well. Keep at it. Don't do it on student loans. Junior colleges have very cheap tuition and if you are poor enough you can get Pell grants. DON'T USE INTERNET COLLEGES. I have been to college three times in my life. Those internet colleges are an expensive scam. Give youself pep talks PRN (as needed). If I can do it, any other idiot can do it.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Don't do it on student loans.
This was a mistake I made. I did have some grants, but the rest was on student loans. Now I owe 60k, and can't get my foot in the door anywhere because I lack experience.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:54 PM

5,463 posts, read 4,579,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
So the 3rd world immigrants who live here in the US and are now legal who happen to be in poverty are all just dumb I guess. Smarter and harder has nothing to do with it in some cases. Nobody got a job or started a business without some kind of opportunity or help from someone along the way. Whether it be help to learn the aspects of that business from a friend or family member, or an opportunity from someone who allowed you to get a loan or open a door for you to get into a job and work your way up. Americans are really prideful and think that they did this and that and it was all because they were smarter or more hard working than the next man. Maybe this is the case for some people, lots of people actually, but you have to be a fool to think that there aren't smart and hard workers that just didn't get the opportunities.
You'll never get them to admit that. It's better for their ego if they believe they were smarter and harder working.

Look how many small businesses fold because they don't have enough money to expand, buy the equipment needed, or take advantage of opportunities that would help them succeed. It takes money to make money is very true. When working for someone else, you are at the mercy of your employer. I still think it is possible to escape poverty but it isn't easy. And God help you if you have family issues or a streak of bad luck that won't allow you to focus 100% on getting ahead, but rather costs you money.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:55 PM

Hey RazorRob. Heres a shirt for you. NoiseBot.com Funny T-Shirts - I Pooped Today! T-Shirt, Hoodie, or Tote Bag

Old 02-23-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
lol...Thanks alot...I think!

Old 02-23-2013, 03:02 PM

$60,000 in the hole for student loans..... thats too bad.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
You'll never get them to admit that. It's better for their ego if they believe they were smarter and harder working.
True statement right here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics