U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,198,298 times

Advertisements

Don't go into unneccesary debt, buy mainly only what you NEED and work overtime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 03:38 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,076,982 times
Under consume and save, work as much as u can, learn valuable skills and don't have kids too soon. Network! That's most of the solution.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 PM

2,110 posts, read 4,048,112 times
Want to get out of poverty? Come up with a unique and strange Kickstarter project - maybe something like musical condoms or edible socks. You'll get tons of press coverage and make big bucks.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 PM

7,405 posts, read 7,358,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I've heard things like this a lot, but I'm 34 and have worked since I was 16 and not one year went by where I even had enough money from a tax return to do anything except keep a roof over my head. So, I guess for people like me, we don't have the same opportunity to do things like this to invest into making our situation better. I'm a single guy, no kids, never been married, never had a credit card, and I'm getting about $300 back on my taxes this year, but I know people with 3 kids who will be getting back over $3000 in taxes and they pay about $800 a month for rent and get food stamps, yet the money they have will be gone in a few months after they buy liquor, smokes, go out to eat, go to the movies, bars, ect..while spending only half of the tax return on their kids. Now the way this system works is ridiculous for single white males like me. There are no benefits for being a hard worker and being responsible with your money. Seems we always get stuck and get to watch others succeed for their irresponsible actions.
This sounds like whining. Be extremely good at what you do, the rest will take care of itself. Nothing will come to you, you have to go out and get it. That means being better than everyone else at work. Doing enough to get by will leave you in poverty for the rest of your life. You have to excel, or accept a low standard of living. The choice is yours, only yours, and 100% controlled by you. If you work hard and make yourself the best, you will find that you get very lucky.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,747,741 times
It's pretty difficult. More fortunate people can suggest ideas, and some of them might have value, but the poor have to bear a lot more barriers to accomplish things than wealthier people do. You may suggest finding a job, any job - but who's going to hire you if the power's shut off, the shower doesn't work, and you are unkempt as a result? You may suggest starting a business - but where is the money to start a business when you have roughly -$50 to your name and nobody will loan out money to you? In addition, the poor tend to have some counterproductive habits that make it more difficult to establish wealth even if they have the resources. Many of them spend their tax returns on flat-screen TVs and expensive cellular phones rather than investing it, for example, simply because they have less of a "future orientation" than more affluent people. After all, wouldn't you want to live for today rather than tomorrow if two of your brothers and an aunt were locked up in jail and you had a lot of early deaths in your family?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 PM

24,698 posts, read 26,777,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
It's not stupidity which has led me and others like me to this level, but luck.

Some people with little effort they manage to better themselves. After all the hard work of trying all the time an seeing that you haven't even made one bit of progress just nails it.
As long as you think this way, you are very likely to stay poor. Nobody "betters" themselves without a lot of effort, both physical and mental. Poverty is not just a lack of money, but a mindset. You have to be willing to challenge your own thinking if you want to get out of poverty. Often, your thinking will be reinforced by family and friends around you (like attracts like). So, that often means you won't be hanging around the same people if you want to get out of poverty because they will hold you back and won't be willing to adopt a different way of thinking.

Working hard is important, but you also have to work "smart". Someone who works minimum wage jobs is never going to get rich. Someone who works hard out in the fields will never get rich.

This might mean you have to strategically take on some debt to go to school to get a marketable skill. Make sure there really is demand for whatever skill you get. Don't just take the school's word for it. And you have to be careful that it's not too much debt. More than 20K or 30K is too much for most people unless they're going into a very lucrative field.

How difficult it is to get out of poverty also depends on your place in life. If you are old, you are likely to stay impoverished. If you are a single parent with multiple kids, you are likely to stay impoverished, although your odds are still better than an old person's would be.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-24-2013 at 12:36 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,149,865 times
Quote:
I've heard things like this a lot, but I'm 34 and have worked since I was 16 and not one year went by where I even had enough money from a tax return to do anything except keep a roof over my head. So, I guess for people like me, we don't have the same opportunity to do things like this to invest into making our situation better. I'm a single guy, no kids, never been married, never had a credit card, and I'm getting about $300 back on my taxes this year, but I know people with 3 kids who will be getting back over $3000 in taxes and they pay about $800 a month for rent and get food stamps, yet the money they have will be gone in a few months after they buy liquor, smokes, go out to eat, go to the movies, bars, ect..while spending only half of the tax return on their kids. Now the way this system works is ridiculous for single white males like me. There are no benefits for being a hard worker and being responsible with your money. Seems we always get stuck and get to watch others succeed for their irresponsible actions.
A chest freezer costs ~$150-$180. I was a single white male at the time too, you didn't get any deductions for rent, mortgage, student loan interest, etc.?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Some people do have bad luck. Not everyone is so stupid that they don't uderstand the concept of working hard. Some people do just keep having situations and obstacles pop up once they think they almost have their head above water once again.
I do agree situations like this happen. Usually, people who go from crisis to crisis have childhood trauma in their backgrounds (often physical/sexual abuse) and need to get treatment for it. This is one area where I think seeing a psychologist/shrink is worth the money.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
If it was as simple as working hard and doing the right thing then why do people in the 3rd world struggle all the time? Why is it that for every success story in the ghetto here that there are 1000 stories of failure even though they tried their hardest?
Third World countries are another topic entirely. We're talking about a person's general prospects in the U.S. or another First World country here.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-24-2013 at 12:03 AM..

Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
The polarization of wealth that has occurred in the US over the last 30 years is historic in its scale. Upward social and economic mobility are more difficult now than at any time in our history. It is no secret the middle class is disappearing and they ain't migrating upwards. While it is still possible, certainly, to escape poverty, I would argue that it is more difficult to do so than ever before, and all evidence indicates it will only get harder.
As others have alluded to, a BIG part of the problem that is (deliberately?) ignored by mainstream media is the 41% out of wedlock birth rate. As someone else said, you have do to things in the right order (education...marriage..then kids). If you don't, you're screwed (literally and figuratively).

Even liberal folks are admitting that the explosion in single parent households is not sustainable or healthy:

20 years later, it turns out Dan Quayle was right about Murphy Brown and unmarried moms - Washington Post

.....a wealth of research strongly suggests that marriage is good for children. Those who live with their biological parents do better in school and are less likely to get pregnant or arrested. They have lower rates of suicide, achieve higher levels of education and earn more as adults. Meanwhile, children who spend time in single-parent families are more likely to misbehave, get sick, drop out of high school and be unemployed.

I am not suggesting, by the way, that this is the only reason for the increase in inequality...but it is a pretty big one that is consistently ignored by mainstream media.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-24-2013 at 12:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics