Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times

Advertisements

I sure hope the landlord is paying for the utilities. You would never be able to figure that one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
You will be sleeping in the living room. Is there another room where people will hang out/watch TV during the day or will everyone be in your "bedroom" all day?

This might be a good post for the rental forum.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,280 times
If you consider the living room a room, then divide the rent by 4, knock $200 off the rent from the guys sharing, $150 off of yours and tack it on to the private rooms: 2X$375, 1X$425, 2X$562. I still think that is fair to have those with the private room pay more. Seems like not only are you sacrificing not having a bathroom, a closet and having everyone walking through your room, but you want to pay more. I think that you should pay the same as the two sharing, if not more. Again, it's all about what the others are willing to pay. If you think $700 for the private rooms is fair and the two guys wanting them don't, then either you live there and pay $700 or suck it up and charge them what they think is fair.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 PM

38 posts, read 61,598 times
yes I think $700 is fair.
I dont want to pay more... and people will not be in the living room because its not essential to go through the area. I guess when I said living room, i meant more like a spacious room in the back that happens to be furnished.
When someone has friends over, they will either have to be in the dining room or whatever room the friends live in.
theres also a clubhouse at the apartment complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I sure hope the landlord is paying for the utilities. You would never be able to figure that one out.
utilities = $50 per person for water/energy/internet.

there is even a washing machine + dryer in the house so we dont have to pay for laundry.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,280 times
I meant to say you should pay less not more, sorry about that. I think $700 is fair too. A private room would carry a huge premium to me. However, to the two guys that want them, it might not and you might have to deal with that.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:03 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The great chase View Post
also: the living room is bigger than a normal room, but it dosnt have a closet so I think it evens out.
Your rent should be the least amount, since you have the least amount of privacy. Can't exactly be banging a girl and have people walking through the living room to get to the front door or kitchen all the time. While it's true the people sharing a room have you walking in time to time, they have more privacy then you do.

I'm more than a little surprised that the is no common bathroom in the house, usually houses that have bedrooms with bathrooms still have a common bathroom, even it it's a 1/2 bath with just a toilet and sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The great chase View Post
I guess when I said living room, i meant more like a spacious room in the back that happens to be furnished.
So it's not a living room really, just a room with furniture (but no bathroom), and no one will have to walk through your room to get to the front door or kitchen, but you lack your own bathroom. I changed my mind, you should pay the same as the shared room with a bathroom, while you don't have a bathroom, you still have a private space that no one intrudes on you privacy, does this room have a door? Also why call it a living room, aren't you going to move a bed in there, or you going to sleep on the sofa?

Last edited by TechGromit; 02-28-2013 at 02:12 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 07:15 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Good luck with getting a landlord who will rent to 5 unrelated people when nobody has enough to pay the full rental amount and it is only a 3 bedroom house.
This. It's one thing to take on a roommate, to save some money, in your apartment, that you can afford to pay for.

It's another kettle of fish entirely to have a loosely organized co-op of people, all of whom need to pay their part of the rent on time, to stay in good stead with the landlord.

Consider that while you are in school, you need to tend to your studies, not to chasing down one or more roommates who are behind on rent. A cheaper place that you can pay for yourself, or at worst with one roommate, would be better, IMHO.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
$650 each private bedroom and bath ==> $1300
$325 each / roomate in shared bedroom => $650
$350 for you, own room, no bath = $350
------------------------
T O T A L ... $2300
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics