U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 12:58 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,376,080 times

Advertisements

There is only one store in my area that has double coupons. You have to cut the little doubler coupons out of their own circular and there is a limit of four (although I guess you could pick up extra circulars and use them in multiple trips - which might be doable if you grocery shopped several times a week, which I don't do).

I know a lot of people use the Walgreen's and Rite-Aid coupons, which supposedly if done right can actually make you money - as well as give you five hundred tubes of toothpaste and a spot on the show "Hoarders."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 01:25 PM

4,793 posts, read 6,529,795 times
We have 3 supermarkets near us. They all email us their weekly circular. We can find all the bargains before leaving the house and print out the list. Used to get Sunday Paper just for the coupons. It's just not worth it anymore.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:11 PM

6,238 posts, read 18,196,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
There is only one store in my area that has double coupons. You have to cut the little doubler coupons out of their own circular and there is a limit of four (although I guess you could pick up extra circulars and use them in multiple trips - which might be doable if you grocery shopped several times a week, which I don't do).

I know a lot of people use the Walgreen's and Rite-Aid coupons, which supposedly if done right can actually make you money - as well as give you five hundred tubes of toothpaste and a spot on the show "Hoarders."
That too! I don't have the money to stock up to that extent; I doubt many do! For us to buy 2 of something, we are going to have that item for months. I've got the room but it just doesn't make sense when that money could go for something else.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:31 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,061,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The distribution of coupons has also shrunk. When we first moved to this area, there were two mailers of coupons, a free penny-saver paper with a coupon insert, and we subscribed to the local paper, which had coupons. Now, there is a coupon flyer maybe once a month, the penny-saver dropped the coupon addition, and we no longer subscribe to the newspaper.

The first paragraph of the article:
Did American consumers suddenly get rich, or just get sick of using coupons? Not likely. Did the number of coupons issued shrink last year? No again. Then why did the number of redeemed coupons decrease dramatically?

Perhaps the author of the article doesn't bother to check his or her mailbox???
I doubt that the author gets coupons buy mail anymore like a large number of folk's today. I haven't got coupons by mail for years so I'd say that I'm more the norm than not.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,821,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Successful couponers have never just used a fifty cents off name brand at full price. OF course the store brand is still cheaper than that. The strategy is to shop at a store that doubles coupons for items that you buy anyway, and only when it is already on sale. This takes time and energy to plan. And coupons for produce often have to be downloaded and printed from the manufacturer's websites, and if your store doesn't take printed coupons...

So since there are fewer areas that have multiple stores within a shopper's convenient radius that all double coupons... I'm not surprised that the usage is declining. Still worth it for budgeting SAHMs in major metro areas, though.
As a former SAHM in an expensive area, I totally agree! We didn't have double coupons, but at our local Safeway you COULD couple a manufacturer's coupon with the store's online (load onto your store card) coupons. Use them both when an item is on sale for a good price and you could get a great price. Similar thing with the drugstores; find a good sale (or get dollars back on a future purchase -- often these can be significant!) and couple with a coupon and you get basics for much cheaper than full-price store brands. For the most part my coupon use is for stuff like toothpaste, but I've still found it worth it to skim through the coupon circulars because there often are still some useful coupons out there for basics. Maybe not as many as before, but still enough to make it worth my while to take a look at the weekly options, clip out what we might use, and cross-reference with the weekly sales at our local stores.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:49 PM

22,815 posts, read 28,698,284 times
most supermarkets by me double coupons. the ones that dont are either target and walmart or these smaller supermarket chains based on nyc where i think there is less doubling going on. but that nyc chain place does have some good deals and has better prices on produce than most local supermarkets, so its still good to have.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:13 PM

518 posts, read 670,098 times
also, I feel as though all of the coupons are for gross products like " I can't believe it's not butter" when I just want a pound of butter. So many of the coupons are for processed junky food. I don't want to eat those individually wrapped, velveeta like,pasturized cheese product with vitamens added to it. I just want a pound of cheddar cheese.

Bowing out on that curmudgeonly note.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:52 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,376,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
As a former SAHM in an expensive area, I totally agree! We didn't have double coupons, but at our local Safeway you COULD couple a manufacturer's coupon with the store's online (load onto your store card) coupons. Use them both when an item is on sale for a good price and you could get a great price. Similar thing with the drugstores; find a good sale (or get dollars back on a future purchase -- often these can be significant!) and couple with a coupon and you get basics for much cheaper than full-price store brands. For the most part my coupon use is for stuff like toothpaste, but I've still found it worth it to skim through the coupon circulars because there often are still some useful coupons out there for basics. Maybe not as many as before, but still enough to make it worth my while to take a look at the weekly options, clip out what we might use, and cross-reference with the weekly sales at our local stores.
I get my toothpaste at The Dollar Tree.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:10 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,023,809 times
Hi all--

I got a subscription for the Sunday paper primarily for the coupons and to have something to read while on the throne.

That said, I won't be renewing my Sunday paper subscription later this year.

It's completely pointless to save 50 cents on the name brand product when the store brand is $2.00 less.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 PM

10,762 posts, read 19,147,216 times
I use less coupons because they stink anymore - there are fewer of them, they want to you buy some ridiculous number of items for a small amount off, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics