U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 PM

21,072 posts, read 25,981,651 times

Advertisements

I use coupons if it is something that I buy anyway. It also has to be convenient to get to the store. With the price of gasoline, I can't just run to the market to save 50 cents.

More power to those super couponers, but they will show their list of $200 worth of stuff that they bought for $1.29, and there is nothing that they got that my family will use. So, by not buying, I saved the $1.29 plus the cost of gasoline to get there, plus the cost of the gasoline to haul all that unwanted stuff to the food bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:18 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,529,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I use coupons if it is something that I buy anyway. It also has to be convenient to get to the store. With the price of gasoline, I can't just run to the market to save 50 cents.

More power to those super couponers, but they will show their list of $200 worth of stuff that they bought for $1.29, and there is nothing that they got that my family will use. So, by not buying, I saved the $1.29 plus the cost of gasoline to get there, plus the cost of the gasoline to haul all that unwanted stuff to the food bank.
Well if I could get $200 worth of stuf to donate to the food bank for $1.29 that would really make me feel good and I would go for it!!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:03 AM

22,815 posts, read 28,698,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

why do people keep commenting on non-existent people? it seems to make some people feel good about themselves for criticizing these "extreme couponers" that buy a hundred tubes of toothpaste and call them hoarders and say "i dont want to be like that." well, nobody does. the show is fake!!! you are attacking a group of people that exists only in a reality show that fakes the scenario to make it more outrageous.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:32 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,529,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why do people keep commenting on non-existent people? it seems to make some people feel good about themselves for criticizing these "extreme couponers" that buy a hundred tubes of toothpaste and call them hoarders and say "i dont want to be like that." well, nobody does. the show is fake!!! you are attacking a group of people that exists only in a reality show that fakes the scenario to make it more outrageous.
PLEASE say it isn't so. A reality show would fake something.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:11 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,184,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Usually the store brand ends up being less expensive than the brands that have the coupons.

I generally check the ads to see where milk or meat is on sale and don't run around from store to store wasting $5 in gas to save $0.20. Also buying bulk can save more than coupons for small amounts can.
Where I shop, sometimes yes and sometimes no. While they frequently run Buy One, Get One specials on name brand products, they rarely do so with their store brands. If the name brand is BOGO, it's always a better deal than the store brand. Even more so, if you have a coupon which they double. I buy when the products I regularly use are BOGO or better (they also do frequent Buy 2, Get 3 Free specials). If I need something that's not on sale, then I usually go with the store brands. In a typical shopping trip, I usually save close to 1/2 off on the total bill since I shop the specials and clip coupons.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:15 PM

21,072 posts, read 25,981,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you are attacking a group of people that exists only in a reality show that fakes the scenario to make it more outrageous.
No, I am not. I am vaguely aware that there is some sort of TV show about it, but I have never seen it and I would not watch it even if I did have access to it. I am commenting about the brags made by couponers on different forums that I belong to.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:03 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,561,955 times
More people are shopping at warehouses, like Costco, that do not take coupons. People are also more health conscious, and not buying as much processed food. Or spending money on expensive brands,, and opting for "Great Value" brand.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:21 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,376,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
More people are shopping at warehouses, like Costco, that do not take coupons. People are also more health conscious, and not buying as much processed food. Or spending money on expensive brands,, and opting for "Great Value" brand.
Exactly.

When my local newspaper did have coupons in the paper, I don't remember there being much in the way of "for scratch" cooking - mostly they were for frozen snack items and pizzas, expensive even with a coupon name brand mayonnaise, with an occasional decent coupon for toilet paper or toothpaste.

And I know that oregonwoodsmoke and I both belong to another message board that has some seriously rabid couponers on it - and they don't take kindly to it when others (like myself) say we just don't "get" how people can provide a family with healthy foods like fresh fruits and veggies, whole wheat pastas, etc. and claim that it only costs them $3.47 a week.

Like I had mentioned before, when I did get coupons regularly, I NEVER saw any for fresh produce - yes, canned fruits and veggies occasionally, but nothing fresh.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:42 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,408,015 times
I used to clip coupons a lot more, 15 or 20 years ago (the olden days), when they didn't expire in 6 weeks! Remember the ones that had no expiration date? Others were good for 6 months or a year.

I don't go shopping every week (trying to cut down), so frequently the coupon will expire before I get around to using it. I don't get the Sunday paper anymore either, so the only coupons I get are the ones from the circulars in the mail. I do look through it for brands that I always use and won't change (bath soap, deodorant, dog food), as well as others that look interesting. But I can tell you that right now, I don't have more than a dozen coupons in the envelope in my purse, and I'm sure some of them have expired already!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,821,999 times
I don't buy processed food -- I cook most things from scratch -- yet I still find coupons for the basics. Not for everything, of course, but they're out there. Flour, yeast, olive oil (not the cheapest brands, but a good brand), salt, vinegar, organic eggs, cheese; I've found and used coupons for all of those basics within the past year. And I haven't made the jump to regularly making my own tortillas, so have often used coupons for those. They're mixed in with all the coupons for processed stuff and toiletries, but they're definitely still out there. And I often use frozen vegetables in the winter, and coupons for those frequently showed up. Sometimes the coupons show the fancy gimmicky blends on the front (I hate those; like to do my own seasoning!), but they're good for all varieties, even the basics. Get a buy 2, save .50, use it on a double coupon day and/or a BOGOl, and you can get a great deal. Not extreme couponing good, but I still find it worth my while to take a look at coupons. I HAVE seen coupons for fresh produce, although admittedly it's not often. (this summer I had a couple of coupons for melons, but they were very expensive and not local so I didn't buy them.) But using coupons, where useful, for some of the other basics, frees up money for produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics