Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:25 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Westerners have since the mid-90s been predicting doom and gloom for China. Every one has been wrong. I suppose some jackball will finally get lucky and imagine he 'predicted' something when the Chinese economy eventually has a downturn, like all economies do, but it will have nothing to do with the veracity of the prediction. In any case, China still has plenty of room to grow within its domestic economy to weather any storm in the near turn.
What did they predict would be bad? If it was environmental pollution, they would be correct for example. However you, and they, need to be specific. Financial problems are easy to solve logically, when you are in the know. Its a huge political problem since macro economic fiscal policy is so counter intuitive. China has lots of material wealth, but they have a potential financial mess, if they lose that political battle. If the wrong person has influence and they stand to lose, they will push the wrong policy for everyone else. If they are like Wall Street they would spare a penny or their own for every trillion in losses for us.

However even more critically you have missed the point entirely. Running a deficit isn't a problem to me, its the solution. So my whole post said nothing about China's doom unless they don't put money into wages while stopping real estate speculation. So it was not that I think China is doomed at all. What I think is they are the only ones who are not falling for austerity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 PM

621 posts, read 658,140 times
We are headed into a world wide debt restructuring event. Fun Fun Fun.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
We are headed into a world wide debt restructuring event. Fun Fun Fun.
Europe has provided an example of what not to do. We have decided that is exactly what we should do. We should pretend that we are a market economy, give the creditors everything they have stolen though monetary manipulation and fraud with, and then make this criminal class we can't vote against our central planners.

Its one thing to give bankers a huge cash pile. However that's not enough. The next step is to put America on sale at distressed prices so they can snap it up cheap. We gave them the money to pay fines and loan back to us , and we owe them the favor to sell to them for pennies on the dollar the money we gave them.

Its interesting to me also how China will do just fine because they are a creditor nation. Yeah that's what we were in the 30s and what Japan was in the 80s and still people just assume that its different. We were different after the first round of the robber barons and again after WWII. Its clear it only takes a generation to forget.

So my only hope is China will provide a better example. If they do I hope they do beat us since everyone will get what they deserve.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:31 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Its apples and oranges. China is still a 3rd world country in large areas. They need to modernize rapidly. Running a modest deficit is a smart thing to do, for their situation.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Its apples and oranges. China is still a 3rd world country in large areas. They need to modernize rapidly. Running a modest deficit is a smart thing to do, for their situation.

OK most people know the difference between apples and oranges. What is the difference between our D- infrastructural grade in the US from the needs of a third world country? I don't know what it is so I am hoping you could tell me.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
More like apples and apples. Our wealthy distribution is that of a third world economy and it is hard to get into business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Europe has provided an example of what not to do. We have decided that is exactly what we should do. We should pretend that we are a market economy, give the creditors everything they have stolen though monetary manipulation and fraud with, and then make this criminal class we can't vote against our central planners.

Its one thing to give bankers a huge cash pile. However that's not enough. The next step is to put America on sale at distressed prices so they can snap it up cheap. We gave them the money to pay fines and loan back to us , and we owe them the favor to sell to them for pennies on the dollar the money we gave them.

Its interesting to me also how China will do just fine because they are a creditor nation. Yeah that's what we were in the 30s and what Japan was in the 80s and still people just assume that its different. We were different after the first round of the robber barons and again after WWII. Its clear it only takes a generation to forget.

So my only hope is China will provide a better example. If they do I hope they do beat us since everyone will get what they deserve.
That my dear friend is the moral justification to take the profit from the banks with inflation. Time to tax the banks.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:34 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
OK most people know the difference between apples and oranges. What is the difference between our D- infrastructural grade in the US from the needs of a third world country? I don't know what it is so I am hoping you could tell me.

Fastest-Growing Cities On The Planet - Business Insider

Look at the link. Many cities in china have had 5x population growth in the last 20 years. When you are rapidly growing like that, deficits matter much less.

There is no reason why we cant maintain sound infrastructure and run a balanced budget in the USA

Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
There is no reason why we cant maintain sound infrastructure and run a balanced budget in the USA
I do have a plan to do just that. Nobody likes it thou.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Fastest-Growing Cities On The Planet - Business Insider

Look at the link. Many cities in china have had 5x population growth in the last 20 years. When you are rapidly growing like that, deficits matter much less.

In China all cities have grown rapidly.

My hometown has grown from 300,000 in 1994 to over 1 millioin now. It is just a "small" city nobody knows.
You can now find KFC, McDonald's, and Walmart there! Last time I went to the McDonald's restaurant in downtown I saw a black man order in Chinese.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,385 times
I keep telling people that its economy is the LAST thing China needs to be worried about. The fact that the country is an ecological basket case is of vastly more concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics