U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:58 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times

Advertisements

Saw today that for first three months of 2011 500K+ jobs were created and just 300k+ cretaed in january and feburary 2013. Jobs is I think the oen think that really isn't recovering like mnay other areas and may never get bacl k to historic low rates.I alos think that we will have to see when FED stops life support of QE what happens;just a week ago many believing the FED notes signal it coming sonner lead to sell-off in eqauities.Being in uncharted trritory in FEc support ;who knwo what happens when it starts let rates float.I don't really see nay real movement to equities by retail investors just by the low volume numbers.Markets are traders who buy and sell on news now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 01:49 AM

5,170 posts, read 3,726,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is the title the newest headline on CNBC. I do not believe it for a minute, but now I am starting to feel like I live in 2 alternate universes. Can't the main stream media make up their mind? One day sequestration is going to cause a recession, then it happens, and now this.....

Finally! Economic Recovery Is Starting to Pick Up Steam

I can't take it anymore.
I dont believe it either. Just ask FDR about how things were getting better all the time ...

Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,004,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I dont believe it either. Just ask FDR about how things were getting better all the time ...
Many people didn't want to believe housing was turning around either despite the facts and data.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:29 PM

29,462 posts, read 33,699,747 times
The Rebound in Americans’ Net Worth: Real or Not?
Quote:
The slow and not-so-steady climb back from the Great Recession is nearing another milestone. The total net worth of U.S. households and non-profits is nearly back to 2007 levels, according to flow of funds data released by the Federal Reserve.

A rebounding housing market and booming stock market helped household net worth climb $1.17 trillion over the fourth quarter of 2012. The increase brought total net worth for households and non-profits up 9 percent from the end of 2011 to nearly $66.1 trillion. That's the highest it's been since the end of 2007, when the net worth for those categories totaled $66.12 trillion.
Quote:
On top of that, the Fed data don't account for inflation and population growth since the end of 2007, and those factors make a big difference.

Moody's Analytics economist Scott Hoyt notes that real per capita wealth plunged 27 percent and has recovered less than half of that loss—so while gaining back the $16 trillion lost during the recession is great, household balance sheets on average remain much weaker than they had been before the recession.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:24 AM

4,174 posts, read 2,783,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Sure, those of us who remain can could gloat about our good fortunes. I could brag about my rock bottom buying opportunities, but I won't...
You just did!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:49 PM

17,749 posts, read 15,026,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

What was real was that those assets were revalued to a low market value due to financial manipulation long enough to change hands.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM

5,798 posts, read 5,237,191 times
The problem is that the number of part-time jobs that were added (446K) is soaring as opposed to full-time (170K), resulting in a net loss of 276K jobs, as gallup reported on Thursday, one day before those loaded numbers from the Labor Dept.

Thank the ACA, aka ObamaCare for those atrocious numbers.

Until the government gets out of the way and lets the market put people to work, the economy is going to suck, which we're not about to get with President Apocalypse, aka the Micromanager-In-Chief strangling everybody with a weak dollar and thousands of pages of new regulations.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:48 AM

5,412 posts, read 8,279,710 times
I am particularly interested in "Architectural Billings" as a lead indicator of positive business conditions...

Calculated Risk: AIA: "Strong Surge for Architecture Billings Index"
2/20/13
"As the prognosis for the design and construction industry continues to improve, the Architecture Billings Index (ABI) is reflecting its strongest growth since November 2007. As a leading economic indicator of construction activity, the ABI reflects the approximate nine to twelve month lag time between architecture billings and construction spending. The American Institute of Architects (AIA) reported the January ABI score was 54.2, up sharply from a mark of 51.2* in December. This score reflects a strong increase in demand for design services (any score above 50 indicates an increase in billings). The new projects inquiry index was 63.2, much higher than the reading of 57.9 the previous month."

“We have been pointing in this direction for the last several months, but this is the strongest indication that there will be an upturn in construction activity in the coming months,” said AIA Chief Economist, Kermit Baker, PhD, Hon. AIA. “But as we continue to hear about overall improving economic conditions and that there are more inquiries for new design projects in the marketplace, a continued reservation by lending institutions to supply financing for construction projects is preventing a more widespread recovery in the industry.”

The American Institute of Architects - Architecture Billings Index Signaling Gains for Fourth Straight Month, Press Releases

Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 AM

4,174 posts, read 2,783,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
"Belief" has nothing to do with it. FDR has been dead for 70 years.

At this point in time, the positive data outweighs the negative data.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,119,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is the title the newest headline on CNBC. I do not believe it for a minute, but now I am starting to feel like I live in 2 alternate universes. Can't the main stream media make up their mind? One day sequestration is going to cause a recession, then it happens, and now this.....

Finally! Economic Recovery Is Starting to Pick Up Steam

I can't take it anymore.
That is there job. They jerk the sheeple back and forth so that they reamain confused and uninformed about what is being done to them. There has not been a free press or anything that slightly resembles journalism in this country now since the days of Watergate.
If you get your information from the main stream media, you have not got a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics