Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times

Advertisements

Comparing corporate fast food chains to privately owned fast food chains. How corporations ruin the quality of fast food. Compare in n out burger and chick fil a to mac donalds and jack and the box. It’s obvious how much better privately owned fast food chains are and how their employees are better treated. But I would like to know how the two compare in profits. My guess is that both are very profitable, but that corporations reduce quality and complicate menus in order to squeeze as much profit out as possible. I have a feeling the world be a lot better place if more big business were privately owned. My generalization about privately owned companies are that they have a soul, they care about their business. Sure profits matter, but it's not the only thing. Privately owned companies have pride in their product and care about their employees. Publicly traded corps, not so much. It's about squeezing every last dime.

Thought? This is not a debate. It's a discussion. So dish up the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 11:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Don't food yourself most business like McDonld's started out as priavtely woned business.They like most business only went o to sale stocks because of the mnwey ;just as In and out is likely to do. Personally I don't see the big deal about in and out as those same type burger are sold ehre by mnay burger shops .It wasn't unitl teh 70's that the cheaper fast gfood burger shops even appeared here. I can well remmber guys from california thing burgers only contained poickles and secret scaue when they first ordered a burger where that was not the case and the fround their own meat.Op neesds to really look at what was privately won and still is and now goign public works.Manytime priavte owneed buasiess are a gropu of investors and eve investment groups.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
The corporations can expand faster and capture more of the market. Mcdonalds, Yum Brands are already global, while In and Out, and Five Guys are just regional.

The corporations are mainly about making their financials statements look good so they can just sell their stocks at the highest price. The people behind the corporations are looking to jump from bubble to bubble, or hot item to next hot commodity. Or another way to put it, they dont only own and run food businesses to make money. If it goes bad, they move onto something else. So they take less care.

In and Out and Five Guys really cannot go anywhere else. Well they can if they wanted, but understand they are where they are because of their core business which is food. They do what they can to keep that up.

You should put this in the business subforum.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:05 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Why do people still eat at fast food restaurants?
Y'all know their food is entirely crap (and often comprised of non-food ingredients).

Old 03-10-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The corporations can expand faster and capture more of the market. Mcdonalds, Yum Brands are already global, while In and Out, and Five Guys are just regional.

The corporations are mainly about making their financials statements look good so they can just sell their stocks at the highest price. The people behind the corporations are looking to jump from bubble to bubble, or hot item to next hot commodity. Or another way to put it, they dont only own and run food businesses to make money. If it goes bad, they move onto something else. So they take less care.

In and Out and Five Guys really cannot go anywhere else. Well they can if they wanted, but understand they are where they are because of their core business which is food. They do what they can to keep that up.

You should put this in the business subforum.
You're missing it. You don't know the profits that a privately owned business could bring in year after year. That's only speculation. Because privately owned company profits aren't published.

I'm comparing quality, between the two. And come on now, Can you tell me that in n out, or chick file is not better quality wise than mac Donald or jack in the box.

What makes these crap corp work is marketing. MacDonalds and Jack in the Box spends $$$$$ on advertizing and has crap food. Chick fil A and In N out spends ZERO on advertizing and has quality food. Do you looooove Jack in The Box??? I Doubt it. No one does.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:03 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Lots of advertising, convenience, and a gullible public is why the mega-chains thrive.

As for profit, when you buy a fast food restaurant for yourself, you get a lot of benefit from all the advertising dollars. The down side is that you give a big chunk of your profits in franchise fees.

Locally owned individual fast food burger places can survive if they sell a superior product. Other than that, the big nationals just bury them.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I love Jack in the Box, and I have only had Jack in the Box a handful of times because I live in the Northeast. Whenever I go west, I make a point to go to Jack in the Box.

I dont know about their marketing. For an industry like fast food, I dont think marketing will make much difference. People arent that obsequious. Actually I have not seen a fast food ad on the telly in a while. But no one I know will eat a certain food more because of a celebrity, or catchy phrases, or hokie comedy.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM

318 posts, read 566,643 times
I want to go to a private mid priced eating establishments but time and time again I leave disappointed. They don't know how to run a restaurant. I think the reason is so many immigrants are coming to America and want to open restaurants because it is relatively easy to do. They don't have the modern scientific approaches to running a restaurant and fail. I hate it but the chains have better food if you are talking about places under $20 a meal. (In most cases)

Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i dont really know which fast food chains are private or public corportations. you have a list?

Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont really know which fast food chains are private or public corporations. you have a list?
Most are publicly traded, e.g. MacDonald, KFC, taco bell, subway, and so on. Arby's is an exception IMO...pretty good quality for fast food.

There aren't many privately owned, Chick Fil A, FiveGuys, In n Out

KFC used to be Privately owned by the owner. Then it was sold. The owner stayed on board to oversee quality, the after he was replaced the quality went down. He was quoted as saying,

"My God, that gravy is horrible. They get tap water, mix it with flour and starch and end up with pure wallpaper paste. Another thing. That new crispy recipe is nothing in the world but a damn fried doughball stuck on some chicken"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics