U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 PM

20,904 posts, read 22,800,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Only up to 65,000 H1B visas are issued per year, and a large number of them go to individuals with a PhD or master's degree. It is simply stupid to say they are low quality workers. In fact, they are better than Americans, and that is why they are accepted to begin with.

Other things being equal, companies prefer American citizens. Everyone H1B applicants know that. In fact, many companies ask if you are an American citizen in the first interview. If not, they just reject you. This is extremely common.

Being "overqualified" for a job is very common, too, and it's strange you blame the H1B holders.

Those "Indians and Chinese" completed most of their education in their home country, and the US just take them here for free. Now you blame India and China? Who actually is more evil??
Add to them the 75,000 yearly L1 visas and then add to those spousal visas and the numbers grow further. Stating are a large number means as much as stating your computer has a large amount of Ram as neither states any facts. Most are not a lower quality employee, they just work in the US for less money and work longer hours (they won't complain about the longer hours since its much more then they would get in China or India). That being said, in the higher end of IT many of them will not have the certifications due to the cost of getting a training copy of the software, the training involved and the test to be certified. Thats why I also have per diem contracts to deal with what they can't. Saying they are better than Americans is an insult. Some are and some aren't. Now if you want to compare work ethics, then yes they are better as they have the ethics Americans used to have in the 50's.

Saying companies prefer Americans is a generalization. It means nothing. It depends on the company and the level/age of the technology in use by that company.

I don't blame H1B/L1 holders, I blame the system that allows them to be hired at a lower cost and employers not being held to the same standards as hiring Americans (the fines related to visa employee violations is much less the violating American labor laws). I don't blame Indians/Chinese for anything. Again I blame the system. Their system puts a higher value on education compared to American education by subsidizing it. Thus by the time they enter the US they are not carrying the same debt load as Americans carry to get to the same location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 PM

3,184 posts, read 3,232,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Add to them the 75,000 yearly L1 visas and then add to those spousal visas and the numbers grow further. Stating are a large number means as much as stating your computer has a large amount of Ram as neither states any facts. Most are not a lower quality employee, they just work in the US for less money and work longer hours (they won't complain about the longer hours since its much more then they would get in China or India). That being said, in the higher end of IT many of them will not have the certifications due to the cost of getting a training copy of the software, the training involved and the test to be certified. Thats why I also have per diem contracts to deal with what they can't. Saying they are better than Americans is an insult. Some are and some aren't. Now if you want to compare work ethics, then yes they are better as they have the ethics Americans used to have in the 50's.

Saying companies prefer Americans is a generalization. It means nothing. It depends on the company and the level/age of the technology in use by that company.

I don't blame H1B/L1 holders, I blame the system that allows them to be hired at a lower cost and employers not being held to the same standards as hiring Americans (the fines related to visa employee violations is much less the violating American labor laws). I don't blame Indians/Chinese for anything. Again I blame the system. Their system puts a higher value on education compared to American education by subsidizing it. Thus by the time they enter the US they are not carrying the same debt load as Americans carry to get to the same location.

Education, healthcare, transportation is subsidised in every country except USA. Can you name a country, even in Western Europe where common working class people have so much debt as compared to USA? How much debt an engineer in Germany has incurred because of his studies? Nil-zero. How many home foreclosure we see in france or Australia as compared to USA? How many people in Japan or Canada suffer from debt, bankruptcy because of Healthcare????

Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 PM

11,920 posts, read 13,308,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Education, healthcare, transportation is subsidised in every country except USA. Can you name a country, even in Western Europe where common working class people have so much debt as compared to USA? How much debt an engineer in Germany has incurred because of his studies? Nil-zero. How many home foreclosure we see in france or Australia as compared to USA? How many people in Japan or Canada suffer from debt, bankruptcy because of Healthcare????
Said engineer in Germany is subsidized only after passing rigorous testing by the state to determine if they are a worthy investment. The hope and expectation is, after paying for the education, the individual will pay back on the investment in the form of tax revenue.

In America, everyone is free to pursue whatever career they choose. True, they must test into these programs at the college, but the state will not tell you that you shouldn't pursue your career interest. In Germany, if your scores are not high enough, they simply won't subsidize your college. You can still attend if you have access to the capital, but it's not peaches and cream for all as you suggest.

In America, they seem to be shoveling every young person into college, whether they are college material or not. Which system is better? Personally, I think the German system is better at allocating finite resources and spending money wisely. The American system seems to be using college as a place to hide the true job situation... There aren't enough to go around anymore. If you're in college, you're not counted as being unemployed. Go to college and make your politicians look good Or at least not as bad.

Another thing worth mentioning... I believe the German system is better, and evidence of this would be the term "German engineering". There's a reason you don't hear "American engineering" used as a benchmark or slogan of high quality...

Old 03-15-2013, 02:51 AM

4,174 posts, read 2,799,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

Another thing worth mentioning... I believe the German system is better, and evidence of this would be the term "German engineering". There's a reason you don't hear "American engineering" used as a benchmark or slogan of high quality...

Are German Cars Reliable? The Myth of “German Engineering” | AutoGuide.com News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or