Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
so you go where they pay you a good wage period. Just like any other immigrants be it from India or China or from the US and if UAE wasn't paying - where will you go?
I did not emmigrate to the UAE. Most of what I do is done via telecommute from US. There are certain parts that I need to be present for and thus I have to fly there. Flying is still much cheaper than trying to live there. Currently there are 100's of contracts available in UAE/Qatar/Saudia Arabia but due to fear factor of the Middle East the positions go unfilled. I've made a hand shake deal with some of them, that when I have open time I can take on their contracts, but if they find someone in the interim there is no fee charged by either side. Its one part of Sharia that I actually like. They don't want people from India nor China as they consider them as low quality (from my experience doing contracts in India, they are somewhat correct. The simplest way to look at it is that they always stay within the lines and look at things with a narrow vision).

The difference here is that I'm actually filling open positions. In the US people are being brought in under H1B and L1 to undercut the payscales. I've interviewed at major corporations where my skill level exceeded their requirements and I would be in the top 10% of their payrange. Instead they hired someone at the bottom of their payscale under H1B (I know people inside that corporation) and now they are sending him to school to learn what he is missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Currently there are 100's of contracts available in UAE/Qatar/Saudia Arabia but due to fear factor of the Middle East the positions go unfilled. I've made a hand shake deal with some of them, that when I have open time I can take on their contracts, but if they find someone in the interim there is no fee charged by either side. Its one part of Sharia that I actually like. They don't want people from India nor China as they consider them as low quality (from my experience doing contracts in India, they are somewhat correct.

Hand shake deal? I call that baloony!!!

No international projects are done with hand shakes..only with strict contracts coupled with penalties for missing the deadlines and ofcourse incentives for reaching targets.

What you are suggesting is pure BS.

Anyway, your comments deviate from the original premise that US has been in a declining trend considering the rankings and you offer no solution than your rants.

Last edited by Tampaite; 03-11-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Hand shake deal? I call that baloony!!!

No international projects are done with hand shakes..only with strict contracts coupled with penalties for missing the deadlines and ofcourse incentives for reaching targets.

What you are suggesting is pure BS.

Anyway, your comments deviate from the original premise that US has been in a declining trend considering the rankings and you offer no solution than your rants.
Sorry to tell that hand shake agreements are common in Muslim countries, Israel and certain communities in NYC. You like numerous other Americans are narrow minded to think that the world runs on US standards. This is why there are numerous threads asking why Americans are hated in numerous countries: This is one of the reasons.

Personal Attacks are uncalled for even if you totally disagree with statement of another poster. Starting a thread does not give you full rights and controls over its contents.

The US is a Capitalist country and its gone unchecked for too long. We do little to protect ourselves by creating easy visa programs that allow for abuse and very little ramifications for violating it. We are the most lenient country when it comes to illegals. We report unemployment numbers that are highly skewed compared to true reality. We report job creation, neglecting the fact most of these jobs existed at higher rates and have come back at lower rate. We use the Dow as a marker for our economy, yet we forget its a stacked deck where numerous companies out of the 30 have been replaced (6 since 2008). Another correction is coming and nothing is being done to stop it. If the D's and R's don't stop bickering and work together, Greece will be looked at as step up to where we will be.

You want a solution: Term limits for Senators and Congressmen. Remove all of them and start over with new group. Remove all lobbyists.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:48 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,771 times
Quote:

Personal Attacks are uncalled for even if you totally disagree with statement of another poster. Starting a thread does not give you full rights and controls over its contents.
Sorry, this was not a personal attack.

I asked for a solution and you gave your 'own' story of how you are doing well off in UAE blah.blah etc so have to weer off into another discussion.

I still call it baloony about hand shake agreements when you are operating across international borders.

Now, if you know someone in UAE and they offered the job and you took it then its different.

Last edited by Tampaite; 03-11-2013 at 03:56 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry, this was not a personal attack.

I still call it baloony about hand shake agreements when you are operating across international borders.

Now, if you know someone in UAE and they offered the job and you took it then its different.
You seem to not understand the current version on Information Technology (IT). Most of it is now software related. Thus most work related to it can be done remotely. Due to security reasons some of the software related work has to be done onsite. I work at the design and implementation stage of software. There are relatively no moving parts in the hardware that we use. Getting people to work remotely is easy. Getting people to go to a Muslim country to do onsite work is difficult because each time a bomb goes off in lets say Iraq, the news reports it as all the Middle East is going to blow up and bombings are happening everywhere. As to hand shake agreements, I do them while I'm in UAE. They are introduced to me by the current people I'm contracting for. In the current economy there is no saying "No". Friendly agreements need to me made to keep doors open and keep bridges crossable.

Think of it this way. If the gang activity in Miami were broadcasted nationally daily, how would it effect Florida as a whole? Tourists would have second thoughts about coming to Florida and many would stay away due to the perception of statewide gang activity.

I did not take this thread in this direction. I responded to TuborgP and the thread followed in it. If you want to discuss Retirement then re-create the post in #1 in the correct forum. As its too late now for it to be moved.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,483 times
I think perma-nomadism is an erosive quality of modern labor constructs. A false economy if you will. I could get a kings ransom compared to what I do now in the States if I were to agree to be the rich Saudi oil man's airborne bus driver. But I don't want to live in Dubai. My culture, values and family reside in this Continent. So we make our choices and place value on them. Most Americans don't have a marketable skillset to be able to outsource themselves even if they were willing to do so. So for most, emigration is a non-starter.

Indeed this Country is on the decline. But I still believe as long as one manages the right side of the column (expenses) this is still a decent and peaceful Country to live in.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post

... But I still believe as long as one manages the right side of the column (expenses) this is still a decent and peaceful Country to live in.
Managing the expense side is not difficult, but the problem is that it gets higher monthly and needs to be continuously balanced and cut in certain places. Salaries have stagnated and many have dropped. The older you are the harder it will be to find a new job, if you lose yours, to cover your current expense level. Retirement savings levels have dropped dramatically since the adjustment of 2008. The lucky ones are the people who have a pension to look forward too, the unlucky ones are the ones with 401ks.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Very true. The percentage of foreign students has risen substantially, even in state funded universities. That may be partially due to the decrease in federal funding over the past 10 years. Be careful what you wish for.

Still, why wouldn't a university be expected to chase profits/funding like any other free market business? A real conundrum.
There is a difference between chasing profits and looting hapless students. Toilet Cleaner in China and India gets more money then the stipend/salary of Ph.D. students in USA. There has been a rise in college tuition, rise in University administrators and professors salary and cut in Research funding. There aim is to make Student Loan business more profitable by putting more and more debt on students and making them more poor in their life.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
We need to worry about the illegal immigrants.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
I did not emmigrate to the UAE. Most of what I do is done via telecommute from US. There are certain parts that I need to be present for and thus I have to fly there. Flying is still much cheaper than trying to live there. Currently there are 100's of contracts available in UAE/Qatar/Saudia Arabia but due to fear factor of the Middle East the positions go unfilled. I've made a hand shake deal with some of them, that when I have open time I can take on their contracts, but if they find someone in the interim there is no fee charged by either side. Its one part of Sharia that I actually like. They don't want people from India nor China as they consider them as low quality (from my experience doing contracts in India, they are somewhat correct. The simplest way to look at it is that they always stay within the lines and look at things with a narrow vision).

The difference here is that I'm actually filling open positions. In the US people are being brought in under H1B and L1 to undercut the payscales. I've interviewed at major corporations where my skill level exceeded their requirements and I would be in the top 10% of their payrange. Instead they hired someone at the bottom of their payscale under H1B (I know people inside that corporation) and now they are sending him to school to learn what he is missing.
Only up to 65,000 H1B visas are issued per year, and a large number of them go to individuals with a PhD or master's degree. It is simply stupid to say they are low quality workers. In fact, they are better than Americans, and that is why they are accepted to begin with.

Other things being equal, companies prefer American citizens. Everyone H1B applicants know that. In fact, many companies ask if you are an American citizen in the first interview. If not, they just reject you. This is extremely common.

Being "overqualified" for a job is very common, too, and it's strange you blame the H1B holders.

Those "Indians and Chinese" completed most of their education in their home country, and the US just take them here for free. Now you blame India and China? Who actually is more evil??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics