U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 PM
 
355 posts, read 700,641 times
Reputation: 460

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
There is something wrong with the system.
Yeah... I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I said I'd rather be homeless than work two full time jobs.
THAT... is pathetic...

 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Sunnyside
2,009 posts, read 3,774,919 times
Reputation: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
My dad lives 500 miles away, that's the only problem.
doesn't this kind of go with the whole moving in with your parents thing? So your whole I can't move there because I won't be able to get a job excuse goes right out the window if you can get a job there right?

If you spent your time right now on a job search board, making calls, going into places, etc... you could find a decent job so I could stop paying for you to live.

If you took all of your effort of making up excuses and transitioned that into a job, you would probably be a good employee too!!
 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 3,659,461 times
Reputation: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
doesn't this kind of go with the whole moving in with your parents thing? So your whole I can't move there because I won't be able to get a job excuse goes right out the window if you can get a job there right?

If you spent your time right now on a job search board, making calls, going into places, etc... you could find a decent job so I could stop paying for you to live.

If you took all of your effort of making up excuses and transitioned that into a job, you would probably be a good employee too!!
My mom and dad are divorced and live in two completely different places. My mom lives in a small town and my dad lives in Silicon Valley. My dad has a tiny place and I do not want to burden him by living there.

And gimme a break, it's not like you are personally paying for my SSI. The total that comes out of your pocket is like 0.00001 cents or something.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Sunnyside
2,009 posts, read 3,774,919 times
Reputation: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I do want to get a part time job.

You guys are missing the whole damn point because you just want to judge me. I'm saying that it's so hard to make money. Ebay and craigslist doesn't work because of fees and caveats, making music hasn't got me anywhere, nor has some art that I've tried to sell. It just seems like nothing I do works.
Well your reason for not being successful in the 3 areas that you have tried... Is it's a saturated market. How many local bands and artists are there in every city that don't make any money doing what they do no matter how hard they try? A metric Eff ton. Why? Because there are so many! You posted in the economics forum so you should learn some economics.

In order to make money buying and selling on eBay you have to do so in volume. If you made 19 dollars off 5 coins... theoretically, you should make 190 dollars off of 50 coins.

It's extremely easy in this country actually to make money. You just need the drive and work ethic to get it.

It's hard to make money in this country with minimal effort. But I guess you can say that for the whole world.

So please, stop making excuses and go out and do something with your life. If you want to be a starving artist making paintings or making music then be one and get off SSDI.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
 
355 posts, read 700,641 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
And gimme a break, it's not like you are personally paying for my SSI. The total that comes out of your pocket is like 0.00001 cents or something.
No one should have to give you anything and yes I am personally paying for your SSI everytime I PAY taxes. Because of people like you when I am old I won't be able to collect ANY of the money I PAID INTO it.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:31 PM
 
2,135 posts, read 3,537,157 times
Reputation: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
No one should have to give you anything and yes I am personally paying for your SSI everytime I PAY taxes. Because of people like you when I am old I won't be able to collect ANY of the money I PAID INTO it.
100% agree. I won't get any of this money in 50 years it will all be gone.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Sunnyside
2,009 posts, read 3,774,919 times
Reputation: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
100% agree. I won't get any of this money in 50 years it will all be gone.
I will be extremely surprised if it even makes it 30.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
905 posts, read 2,218,724 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I do want to get a part time job.

You guys are missing the whole damn point because you just want to judge me. I'm saying that it's so hard to make money. Ebay and craigslist doesn't work because of fees and caveats, making music hasn't got me anywhere, nor has some art that I've tried to sell. It just seems like nothing I do works.

While the system is definitely flawed, YOU are the problem here. You have nothing to offer society and you say there is something wrong with the system? Even a fraction of a penny of my money shouldn't go to you. A lot of us have put up with how crappy the "system" is and made it out on top. Why don't you give it a shot?

Some of my suggestions for things that you can teach yourself are picking up some programming books and learning that on your own. Maybe learn how to use some kind of accounting software like Quickbooks and try to get a job doing bookkeeping at a local small business. All of these things require a lot of effort and motivation which you don't seem to have. Stop making excuses and do something to improve your position in life.

You came on here looking for sympathy and got none so maybe you should realize that you are the problem in this situation.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
4,009 posts, read 5,184,449 times
Reputation: 4525
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I am doing something about it. That's why I'm going to college. What I'm lamenting is how difficult it is to make money in this country. I don't think we should accept chattelry.
I grew up in Australia and have also lived in the U.K prior to moving to the States. I can guarantee you that in no country is it 'easy' to legally make money. If it was easy somewhere, we'd all be hearing about it by now! You can definitely make money here- good money as a matter of fact. However, you have to WORK for it.

As for the later reference to medieval peasants working less hours than we do now. This is both true and false- prior to the Industrial Revolution, the amount of work someone could do was dictated by the amount of daylight available and the weather. Even a peasant wasn't expected to be out working in inclement weather in the dark! It would be counter productive! Therefore, the only reason their days were shorter, was because of the lack of advancement in technology which would allow them to work in all sorts of conditions. You better believe that on fine, Summer days, they put their 8 hours in and then some! Plus, the work was definitely more backbreaking than being a Barista at Starbucks.

By the time the Industrial Revolution hit, it wasn't uncommon for people to work 12 hour days, 6 days a week, often in dangerous conditions.

Comparatively, we have it pretty good right now!
 
Old 03-14-2013, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
15,372 posts, read 25,618,469 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I'm sorry but it's not worth slaving making coffee or flipping burgers for pocket money, especially when I'll be busy with college. I'm talking about like stuff that can make me hundreds of dollars a month that doesn't take up all my free time.
And you decided to stop in here and ask people that work for a living and many times slave away to keep a roof over their head, if they have any ideas how you can make some extra money without giving up your SSI and without having to pay back the Government that which you take from all of us people who do infact slave away. How nice of you for asking.

I went to college myself and yes it is hard to do it while working. It is even harder to do it when you have a house full of kids and a wife to take care of. We lived in a 2 bedroom apartment so that I could do just that. Imagine that, 5 boys and a girl plus my wife living in a 2 bedroom apartment while I finished school, worked full time, helped with the kids, and managed to spend a little time with my wife. I guess it would have been easier if I had been getting SSI.

Life is not easy. Learn that lesson now. You work for a better life and you make sacrifices to get there. That is how we all do it. That is how our parents did it. No excuses, no help from the government.

I am not sure how someone ends up getting SSI. I have no idea how that works. I do know a lot of people that have physical problems that find ways to make it in life without the help of the Government. I know a man that has no use of his limbs and yet he writes books. I know a blind guy that toured the world on a motorcycle. (His wife drove.) I know amazing people that have never let physical challenges get in the way of living. any other way just seems quite boring to me.

Your question though was what can you do.

Have you considered writing for profit? You can find plenty of placed on line that may give you freelance work. The other suggestion is freelance work. LOL Plenty of places may need additional assistance and many of these positions can be done from home while you pluck at the keyboard.

MLM is an option as well if you can find the right company. Many have a problem with it, I am not one of those people.

Start your own business lets say washing windows or cleaning office buildings. Why work for someone else at all.

Wish you good luck with what ever you choose to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top