Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 02:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,468,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I also don't get where you think that you'll be busy for 16 hours a day. I worked full time, went to school full time, and still had a lot of time left over for extra curricular activities, a girlfriend, and hanging out with friends. If you take 12 credit hours, that's only 12 hours of class each week. Then homework. And for an associates degree, it shouldn't be the "2 hours of study/homework for every hour of class" Even then, if you take the 36 hours of class time, plus 40 hours of work, you have 76 hours of "not fun time" every week. so you're not even looking at 11 hours a day of being busy, if you break it up over a full 7 day week. That's barely over what people are putting in on their full time jobs.
the concept is very simple, when you hand over money, housing, food and healthcare to a person; there is a % of them that will be satisfied with that and see no reason to work. why work and earn a low wage when you can do nothing and have all of your needs covered? there is no point in reading belmont's posts, the american government has created a monster of entitlement.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:24 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,423,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I would say it totally depends what degree you're taking. I won't be taking too many classes at first but I wouldn't be surprised at all if I'm doing 4 full days starting this autumn. And FYI, I probably will eventually work part time, I'm just taking things a bit slow.

What frustrates me, and the point of this thread, is how hard it is to make extra money on the side in this supposed "land of opportunity". Whether it's SSI or a paltry minimum wage job, it seems impossible to make more than just the bare minimum to survive and maybe get a beer or pizza now and then because there's always some caveat.
As I already stated SS will help you get a job. If they determine you're only capable of working 10 hours per week, then they'll help you get a job working 10 hours per week.

You want a job where you can hide the income and you have the nerve to complain about it. Sheesh. You can make up to $1010 per month before losing your SSI, which should be $710 per month unless you receive either some SSDI, you're counting food stamps, or your state matchs a percentage of your SSI. If you make the $1010 or near it regularly, expect to have a medical review. If you go to school, you will likely be reviewed as well--the long form CDR.

If you try to work, can't hack it and are fired, you will immediately be reinstated for SSI benefits. SS wants to encourage people to test their abilities and see if they improve.

You need to spend some time understanding what your responsibilities and options are inregards to SSI.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:04 PM

83 posts, read 94,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
What are you talking about. Noone works 16 hours a day (maybe docs...but very few jobs do this). You have no idea how school works. You don't do 5 days of school consisting of 8 hours a day each. This isn't highschool. You might have a 2 hour class Monday and a 1 hour class Wednesday and maybe Thursday you load up and have 3 back to back 2 hour classes. That is it though.

Your just making excuses now. Again....you won't be working anything near 16 hours a day. Also, you said that your tired after 8 hours of work....SO IS EVERYONE ELSE. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

That is great that your going to school, but you have no idea how a college or university works. You don't come in at 7am and go to classes for 8 hours a day. Sure you could load up and take 8-10 hours of classes in a day...but that is only 1 day. Studying and doing homework doesn't take 8 hours a day also.

You think our generation ( I will be 24 in May)isn't being lazy or entitled???!!!!!

Please, people "back in the day" didn't deal with all of this food stamps, welfare, section 8 housing, SSI, SSDI crap. They either worked and provided or lived on the streets. They didn't pop out 3 babies then ask "where's my money government?". It is pathetic. They worked hard for themselves or their families and if they whined they were out on the streets with the bums. Nowadays you just call up one of the many government programs which they think they all are entitled to and demand money.

How do you think people survived the "Great Deppression"? They didn't march to Capital Hall demanding "Great Depression Benefits".

There was a simple creed back then. You don't work. You don't eat. It's in the Bible.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:11 PM

355 posts, read 908,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTED View Post
There was a simple creed back then. You don't work. You don't eat. It's in the Bible.
It's also common sense.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:23 PM

The SGA level was actually raised to $1040 for 2013.
Substantial Gainful Activity

You can actually work for a period of 9 months to test your abilities, and still collect SSI. In other words, you can collect over the SGA level.
Trial Work Period

Let me state again so it is clear, you won't be competing for 40 other people to work at McD's. The government will determine the type of work you're best suited for, and they'll help you get a job. That might mean you going to school. They might be able to find you a customer service job making $12-15 per hour working your home. If you want to start a business selling coins they might help you with that.

If you don't utilize these services, and they determine your condition has improved, you lose these extra services.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:31 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,033,453 times
I can't believe the level of judgement and hostility on this thread. And even referencing the Bible. What does Bible say about helping poor and less fortunate? What does it say about being judgmental?
To those who described how hard they worked while going to school and having full time jobs - I applaud you for this. But you know what? When you used federal grants someone payed for them too. I probably paid a portion of it with my taxes, just like I'm paying portion of OP's SSI. I'm paying a portion of my parents' SSI as well. I'd rather do that than be on SSI for some "legitimate disability". I'd also rather make more and pay more in taxes - it works very well for me, but that is a different issue altogether.

OP, I'm sorry, but you came to the wrong place asking for advice. As you can see, you didn't get any. If you have Asperger's, I hope you are in touch with a support group. I would turn to help there, see what others in your boat are doing. Don't ask for help from intolerant self-righteous people.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM

827 posts, read 1,086,290 times
I have anxiety about the fact that the Cubs might not win the World Series this year. Think I'll apply for disability too..

Old 03-14-2013, 03:49 PM

827 posts, read 1,086,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I can't believe the level of judgement and hostility on this thread. And even referencing the Bible. What does Bible say about helping poor and less fortunate? What does it say about being judgmental?
To those who described how hard they worked while going to school and having full time jobs - I applaud you for this. But you know what? When you used federal grants someone payed for them too. I probably paid a portion of it with my taxes, just like I'm paying portion of OP's SSI. I'm paying a portion of my parents' SSI as well. I'd rather do that than be on SSI for some "legitimate disability". I'd also rather make more and pay more in taxes - it works very well for me, but that is a different issue altogether.

OP, I'm sorry, but you came to the wrong place asking for advice. As you can see, you didn't get any. If you have Asperger's, I hope you are in touch with a support group. I would turn to help there, see what others in your boat are doing. Don't ask for help from intolerant self-righteous people.
Probably because his reasons for his disability are BS.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:58 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,033,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
Probably because his reasons for his disability are BS.
Have you examined him?
I can also say that all your moaning about being taxed to death is BS - I somehow manage to pay it and live quite well. I will probably also end up putting both of my kids through college, or they will have to take loans. Mind you, they won't be eligible for any federal help because their parents make too much.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:01 PM

Also, just to make it clear, SS mails out info about Ticket to Work and they regularly make phone contact explaining the program. It's kind of difficult to believe the OP really is collecting benefits and didn't know about his options.

It is a bit of a Catch 22, those that want to work but can't unless they get extraordinary help don't receive it until after they've been approved for SSI/SSDI.

But I'm absolutely calling BS on the OP that he can't get a job. He might struggle to on his own, but if he hasn't enrolled in the Ticket to Work program, then he can't say he can't find a job.

When I was injured I was working 60-80 per week at a salaried job and my commute was another 12-15 hours per week. It took me a long time to receive SSDI approval because I was doing everything in my power to learn to adapt to my disability. I could not imagine not working. I started working FT the summer I was 10 turning 11, and I didn't need the money, I received a generous allowance. The first few years I was unable to work, and had to undergo multiple surgeries, I volunteered an hour a day when I was well enough. My health unfortunately declined to the point that me, my family, my docs, and SS, all agreed that I'm unable to work PT, let alone FT, doing any job. I still keep trying experimental treatments and meds, all with the hope to lead a semi normal life again--which includes working or having a business. I never applied for housing, cash aid, or food stamps even though I qualified and it would have made my life much easier.

This is just as insulting to those of receiving disability that have a severe disability and would prefer to work for the same amount as we receive in benefits.

OP: if you want to school and then attempt to work--fine. You should appreciate that you are in a much better financial position than many others your same age. SSI is enough to keep you alive. It's not enough to cover things like travel. Ask your parents, they might be willing to subsidize your lifestyle. If you go to a community college, you could receive financial aid and scholarships to allow you to do a semester abroad even. But seriously, you need to stop feeling sorry for yourself. Many of the limitations you describe are self imposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics