U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:07 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,762,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I can't believe the level of judgement and hostility on this thread. And even referencing the Bible. What does Bible say about helping poor and less fortunate? What does it say about being judgmental?
To those who described how hard they worked while going to school and having full time jobs - I applaud you for this. But you know what? When you used federal grants someone payed for them too. I probably paid a portion of it with my taxes, just like I'm paying portion of OP's SSI. I'm paying a portion of my parents' SSI as well. I'd rather do that than be on SSI for some "legitimate disability". I'd also rather make more and pay more in taxes - it works very well for me, but that is a different issue altogether.

OP, I'm sorry, but you came to the wrong place asking for advice. As you can see, you didn't get any. If you have Asperger's, I hope you are in touch with a support group. I would turn to help there, see what others in your boat are doing. Don't ask for help from intolerant self-righteous people.
He is breaking the rules of the program. And he's using excuses that are BS. And it irks me when I regularly see hard working people that desperately want to continue to work and are unable, yet are denied. Understand that you would have a much harder time receiving SSDI than the OP receiving SSI. If he tried to work and was unable to, then I would have no issue. But if his condition has improved he is required to notify SS.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:12 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,465,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post

OP: if you want to school and then attempt to work--fine. You should appreciate that you are in a much better financial position than many others your same age. SSI is enough to keep you alive. It's not enough to cover things like travel.
This I most certainly agree with!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
This I most certainly agree with!
TY!

I'm not sure you read all 15 pages worth, I know some don't believe in SSI or SSDI at all. I certainly do understand the need of both. And from the OP's description I don't have a problem with the fact that he needed help and might need help to try and transition to work. But, I know the system well enough to address that he is not following the rules of the program.

And this type of behavior does legitimately create a backlash and the general public starts questioning how many are simply working the system. One person with Asperger's may be to severely disabled to work, while another might be.

His disability may well also make it difficult for him to understand why some parts of his posts strike a nerve with so many. Many that are actively trying to work the system would know not to broadcast that info...

SSI is essentially welfare for the disabled, but when you add in housing and other entitlements, he's doing better than many of his peers without a degree or skill.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:37 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,171,833 times
Quote:
I can't believe the level of judgement and hostility on this thread. And even referencing the Bible. What does Bible say about helping poor and less fortunate? What does it say about being judgmental?
To those who described how hard they worked while going to school and having full time jobs - I applaud you for this. But you know what? When you used federal grants someone payed for them too. I probably paid a portion of it with my taxes, just like I'm paying portion of OP's SSI.
You're assuming that we all used Federal Grants to go to school. Personally, I had partial scholarships and paid out of pocket for my education- I didn't use any federal grants whatsoever. As for my husband, yes, he is using federal money- the GI Bill. However, I think that this is something that he earned after 4 years in the Marine Corps which included deployments to AFG.

Like you, we will probably end up paying out of pocket for our children's education as well- as by that stage we'll probably be earning above the maximum income for financial aid.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM

29,462 posts, read 33,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
TY!

I'm not sure you read all 15 pages worth, I know some don't believe in SSI or SSDI at all. I certainly do understand the need of both. And from the OP's description I don't have a problem with the fact that he needed help and might need help to try and transition to work. But, I know the system well enough to address that he is not following the rules of the program.

And this type of behavior does legitimately create a backlash and the general public starts questioning how many are simply working the system. One person with Asperger's may be to severely disabled to work, while another might be.

His disability may well also make it difficult for him to understand why some parts of his posts strike a nerve with so many. Many that are actively trying to work the system would know not to broadcast that info...

SSI is essentially welfare for the disabled, but when you add in housing and other entitlements, he's doing better than many of his peers without a degree or skill.
His disability has no business being on display in a public forum like this. It is however an easy path to social interaction he can handle.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
His disability has no business being on display in a public forum like this. It is however an easy path to social interaction he can handle.
You are likely right, but it is not only not in his best interest, the type of misinformation created in threads like these are harmful to others as well. And SS does require all applicants and receipants of SSI and SSDI to follow the rules, regardless of their condition. I know a young man with schizophrenia that can't receive approval and is homeless, due to non-compliance.

There are resources available for him to test his ability to work. I've provided the links and pertinent information for him. It would be worthwhile for him to take advantage of them prior to his father spending thousands of dollars on an education that he may never be able to use. That money might be better spent on a downpayment for a modest home, for example. Or, extra spending money even to do things like travel.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 PM

17 posts, read 34,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, no. you still shouldnt be getting disability. you can work. its so offensive that the system is abused and really thats what our elected morons want. they take advantage of the fact that most of us feel that those that are legitimately disabled should get help. next thing you know, you let everyone who cries disability latch on the the taxpayers throats like parasites.
I'm not a fan of people living off the government either...especially when it's abused. However a mental handicap is no different than a physical one. There are many people with impaired disorders where it affects their ability to function normally in the workforce. A friend of mine almost lost his job due to severe anxiety (not run-of-the-mill "life is hard" stress... but debilitating, biological, anxiety/depression where getting up to brush your teeth was a debacle. How do you function in the workforce like that?) And sadly, for these types, it's actually hard to get SSI. I'm surprised the OP got it approved. But either way, a doctor had to review his condition for the paperwork and his/her recommendation was that he was not fit to work at this time.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:11 AM

281 posts, read 360,747 times
HAHAHAHAHA I love how everyone goes all Tea-bagger in this thread. "YOU NEED TO SUFFER AS HARD AS I DID AND I DIDNT PAY FOR IT"

Seriously. You expect him to get a job...despite doing an engineering degree. Do you know how hard it is to get an Engineering degree? DO YOU? Have you had your brain ache on dealing with calculus and diffrenial equations? My brain plopped out on Algebra. College Algebra.

How many people do you know who studied Engineering while working a job. Come on, tell me. And please tell me how someone is supposed to get a job when there is no jobs available. When the illegal immigrant, or someone the employer knows hires him before you. When there's thousands of applicants for ONE job you know things are screwed. But, But if you point this out you're called a 'whiner' and a 'leech'. Hahahahaha.

Seriously. You expect someone to get a car for a job......when you can't afford a car to get a job with. How the **** does that work? AND you expect someone to get a license for said driving (note: driving is not as easy as it seems. I know people who STILL don't have licenses - the fact that there are a bunch of new stupid restrictions on driving in the name of 'safety' helps to accelerate that trend).

P.S. I doubt the OP said anything about vacationing during summer. The OP talked about you know.......HAVING MONEY TO LIVE OFF OF.

But please. Keep trying to one-up the other guy on your 'woe is me' tales and how he's a 'leech' and you somehow caring about him getting SSI more than goddamned bankers stealing your houses and your retirement. Or the modern US military which is pretty much used as a giant Jobs program for the American South. P.S. Aspies can't join the military. So don't recommend he become cannon fodder for the Empire either.

I love how you all talk about how 'working hard will get you a job'. BULL****. Get that Calvinist garbage out of your brain. Simply 'working hard' will NOT give you a job. Businesses fail, people die of heart attacks, etc. Do not make inaccurate statements on how 'working hard' will automatically make you money. I know someone who pretty much is the damn opposite of that. He went to a private school, his family paid for his tuition in the UK, and he worked as a junior inestment banker. Hilariously he says some of the same things you all do. About how working hard gets you somewhere. Hilariously when you point out 'your family paid for college' and all.....

Also here is a nice fun fact: A lot of job postings require a degree (often 4 year degree). A GODDAMNED DEGREE FOR MENIAL JOBS LIKE JANITORIAL WORK.

read these articles, i bessch you

Quote:
It's hard to accept that the University of Chicago grad described in the article isn't employable, that the economy doesn't need him, but it is absolutely true, but my point here is that not only is he not contributing, the economy doesn't need him to contribute. Which is good, because there's nothing he can do for it. 1. Anything requiring science is out. 2. "He can work manual labor!" I love how people assume economics doesn't apply to construction. The demand for those jobs is very high AND hipsters suck at them. At any wage, Gerry the hipster will always be outworked by Vinnie the son of a longshoreman, who will always be outworked by a Mexican illegal, i.e. the system will always be able to find someone who can do the job better AND with lower labor costs. Bonus: no need to pay Jose's insurance, everyone knows Hispanics never get sick, except fake psychiatrically. 3. Hipsters are not good at retail or sales unless detached irony is required, which it is not, which is why they're on food stamps
Quote:
So start with an interesting hypothetical: does everybody need to work anymore? I understand work from an ethical/character perspective, this is not here my point. Since we no longer need e.g. manufacturing jobs-- cheaper elsewhere or with robots-- since those labor costs have evaporated, could that surplus go towards paying people simply to stay out of trouble? Is there a natural economic equilibrium price where, say, a U Chicago grad can do no economically productive work at all but still be paid to use Instagram? Let me be explicit: my question is not should we do this, my question is that since this is precisely what's happening already, is it sustainable? What is the cost? I don't have to run the numbers, someone already has: it's $150/mo for a college grads, i.e. the price of food stamps. Other correct responses would be $700/mo for "some high school" (SSI) or $1500/mo for "previous work experience" (unemployment). I would have accepted $2000/mo for "minorities" (jail) for partial credit.
Quote:
Here we have a person who has been marginally employed for two years and suffers physical pain 24 hours a day--and rather than demanding something better for herself, she demands that other people suffer more!
The Last Psychiatrist: Hipsters On Food Stamps, Part 1

EDIT: I can't help the OP. As I am in a better situation but still can't find a job.

Last edited by Warsie; 03-15-2013 at 12:47 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 AM

355 posts, read 697,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsie View Post
P.S. I doubt the OP said anything about vacationing during summer. The OP talked about you know.......HAVING MONEY TO LIVE OFF OF.
Did you even read the OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
What creative things can I do in the meantime to make money so I can travel during the summer? It seems so hard to make any kind of money, all the possibilities are either out of my reach or pay so little that it doesn't even seem worth trying.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:33 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times
The op made a fatal mistake right off the bat by mentioning the desire to "travel during the summer"
Pretty hard to drum up any sympathy for his financial situation after that.

Enough money for the basics and the opportunity to go to college and he should be here telling everybody what a wonderful world it is and how lucky he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics