U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:14 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,192,011 times

Advertisements

Warsie: The OP is undertaking an Associates Degree at a Community College. It's bound to be less intensive than a Bachelor's Degree at a University. Oh and yes, I do know people who have worked while undertaking Engineering Degrees (at Universities)- 2 of my cousins, and my husband's best friend.

I'm sorry you found College Algebra difficult, but I believe that those who choose to major in fields such as Engineering are probably already mathematically inclined to begin with, henceforth finding it easier than you did.

I agree that the OP doesn't necessarily need to get a car, but I do believe he needs to get a job, even if it's just a part time gig, for the experience more than anything.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:35 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,664,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The op made a fatal mistake right off the bat by mentioning the desire to "travel during the summer"
Pretty hard to drum up any sympathy for his financial situation after that.

Enough money for the basics and the opportunity to go to college and he should be here telling everybody what a wonderful world it is and how lucky he is.
Well to be honest, the main reason I want to travel is because I want to visit this girl in Australia I've been talking to online for 7 years. Yet it seems like there is no opportunity to make a few grand no matter what I do, unless I sell drugs or something which is not an option as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah I mean I don't have it horrible or anything but I wish I could find a way to honestly make enough money to live and occasionally have a little bit of fun. I don't expect a mansion and a jet-setting lifestyle by age 25. All I want is to backpack around a bit before I'm old and the entire world is exactly like the USA.

I do feel guilt about living off benefits. I'm not proud of it and I would work given I could find something that was reliable (not just temp work) and paid considerably more than what I already get for nothing.

But you know what, right now SSI gives me a great deal of security, I might still need it, and come on, are you honestly telling me you would give up that much money. It's not like it's literally draining your pocket, if it wasn't being spent on SSI it would be used to blow up brown children in some Middle Eastern country or wasted on pointless research regarding fat lesbians.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:29 AM

15,372 posts, read 25,637,422 times
From what I read many have offered advice to you. Many don't understand how you are in the situation that you are in and because of that may have been less than helpfull with the SSI thing. You have to realize that plenty of people look at the Nation and see lots of people taking taking taking and not putting their shoulder to the wheel and getting things done.

You have to start somewhere but you first have to get up and get going. Start doing something and learn to do that something better than anyone else. It takes time. It takes work but those of us that have done it know that you can do it too.

Maybe you don't like hearing the advice that you have recieved here. Can't help that. I can only see that plenty have offered it and you need to make a decision if the advice is for you. Happy day.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 AM

29,465 posts, read 33,755,515 times
The biggest issue is the nature of his personality as a result of being high functioning Aspergers which can lend itself to what has unfolded in this thread.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:06 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,637,422 times
Disabled people that I have met:

1. Apartment Manager. Guy was hurt working in a plant and placed in permanent diasability. Got bored with that and found he could still do some things. Applied for a job as an apartment manager for a small 36 unit complex. They gave hima 2 bedroom unit to live in. He also does simple maintenance. Since they have a family his wife does work. He is able to stay home though and when the pain gets too him he can put off maintenance and or call someone in to take care of things.

2. Supermarket bagger. This girl that I have known my entire life is in her mid 30's and is autistic. She still lives at home with her dad. Her mom passed away 6 or 7 years ago. Her social worker was able to convince the local Vons Grocery store to try her out. She started by just returning the carts and eventually moved to bagging groceries. The manager found that if you showed her a job she would concentrate on it better than most people. She is focused and what hiring her opened up a policy with Vons to allow many more autistic individuals into their organization.

3. Building janitor. I met this guy that had some major mental problems. He could not function around others much. Still he had the desire to find his niche in life. He was able to get a job cleaning a building at night when others were gone.

4. State Health inspector. We had a rep from the state come in. He lives in a wheel chair. He controls the chair by a thing that he bites on or places in his mouth. This guy was highly educated and knew healh care inside and out. It was amazing to see him work.

5. Business owner. I have a brother that just does not fit in with society. If you were to see him you would think what a bum. He does not know how to dress, lets his hair grow long even though he is bald on top. Just doesn't care about what he looks like or how others will react to his look. Years ago when he was a kid he damaged his hand and arm in a machine. Still, something happened to society about that time that changed his life. In 1980 few people had home computers and those that did worked very differant than those that we use today. My brother lost himself in the computer and created a way to make money. Better yet he does not have to associate with others. Over the years he has built companies that he can safely hide in his office and make money without seeing his clients.

I guess many choose to give up. Many though, thankfully, find a way to overcome their problems and get on with life.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:03 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,996,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post

SSI garnishes your wage if you get a job, so even if I was lucky enough to find one, I would be working for peanuts. 20 hours a week at 3 dollars an hour is not even worth bothering with. That's what, $240 a month?
min wage is $7+/hour so 20 hours is $150/week or $600/month.

If you really want money to travel then "start bothering".

Old 03-16-2013, 11:20 AM

301 posts, read 418,015 times
Belmonte,

I am a little late to the party, and appears you have already checked out. But just in case....

I am the father of two handicapped young men, ages 19 and 18. One is genetic the other due to trauma at birth.

Both live with me, both of them work and go to school. My youngest is wheelchair bound, has no motor control and can't feed himself or tend to his toilet needs. I pay for a nurse to check on him and take care of his needs while he is in college and at work.

He earns $150 dollars a week. He is happy to have it and he is proud that he accomplishes things throughout the day that are valuable to someone else.

My older son, does menial labor, he cleans hotel rooms. He is fast and thorough. He earns 300 a week and he is happy to accomplish something other than sitting on his ass.

I looked into SSI because everyone told us we had to have it. And it is probably true. In the future they will need it. But while they are young and have me, I am not going to allow the government to evaluate their worth.

If you want to make your own way, hang up your loughty ideals and get your ass to work. Everyone has to start somewhere.

You can't have self respect without self sacrifice. Quit your whining. I don't care if you are disabled, you have self worth, go make something happen.

By the way, your attitude exemplifies the attitudes and choices of "Occupy" "We are worth more pay us!"

You are not worth anything until you make yourself valuable. Education is only one endeavor. Attitude and Perseverance are what make us who we are.

Get over yourself and your self pity.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:07 PM

355 posts, read 701,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugManTPC View Post
Belmonte,

I am a little late to the party, and appears you have already checked out. But just in case....

I am the father of two handicapped young men, ages 19 and 18. One is genetic the other due to trauma at birth.

Both live with me, both of them work and go to school. My youngest is wheelchair bound, has no motor control and can't feed himself or tend to his toilet needs. I pay for a nurse to check on him and take care of his needs while he is in college and at work.

He earns $150 dollars a week. He is happy to have it and he is proud that he accomplishes things throughout the day that are valuable to someone else.

My older son, does menial labor, he cleans hotel rooms. He is fast and thorough. He earns 300 a week and he is happy to accomplish something other than sitting on his ass.

I looked into SSI because everyone told us we had to have it. And it is probably true. In the future they will need it. But while they are young and have me, I am not going to allow the government to evaluate their worth.

If you want to make your own way, hang up your loughty ideals and get your ass to work. Everyone has to start somewhere.

You can't have self respect without self sacrifice. Quit your whining. I don't care if you are disabled, you have self worth, go make something happen.

By the way, your attitude exemplifies the attitudes and choices of "Occupy" "We are worth more pay us!"

You are not worth anything until you make yourself valuable. Education is only one endeavor. Attitude and Perseverance are what make us who we are.

Get over yourself and your self pity.
Bravo!

Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,664,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
min wage is $7+/hour so 20 hours is $150/week or $600/month.

If you really want money to travel then "start bothering".
Actually now that I think about it even on SSI I will still get to keep maybe $3.50 an hour which is um, a few hundred a month so I'm thinking that I will get a part time job ... if I'm lucky enough to find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics