U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,173,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I don't know where you get this idea. I went to an engineering school. Every engineer I know has to deal with people. I'm in meetings about 3-4 hours a day. I know of others who go straight from meeting to meeting. It's a requisite for the job and interpersonal skills will certainly be part of the job interview. If you can't deal with people now, nothing will change.

Fix the source of your problem first. You have to overcome your 'disability' before anyone will hire you.
This too- one of our family friends is an Engineer, and he's consulting with various people on a daily basis. Social skills are definitely part of the job!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 PM

157 posts, read 135,639 times
right now, many are making a GOOD "sideline" biz, just hanging out at Wally's and gun stores like cabellas, and such, buying .22lr ammo as soon as it hits the shelf, then selling it for 2-3x their cost on craigslist or at gunshows. a very few hundred $ will get you started.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM

29,462 posts, read 33,705,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
The OP needs to get help for his mental health. He doesn't seem too keen on doing it. I hope that changes.
We have no idea the support he has and I wouldn't classify his condition as being mental. He is well able to communicate in a non face to face fashion as this forum. His mistake was coming in an economic forum and asking the question he did. It is not something he or anyone else chooses and it is not a switch to be turned on or off.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM

My Aspergers Child: Best and Worst Jobs for Aspergers Adults

Quote:
80% of grown-ups with Aspergers do not have full-time jobs – not because they can’t do the work, but because they can’t manage to be socially acceptable while they get the work done.

Countless studies show individuals would rather have pleasant and personable co-workers than a co-worker who is always right. One Aspie states, “I try to keep this in mind each day, and consequently, I spend a lot of time planning my interactions. But sometimes my plans fail.”
Quote:
It is important that Aspergers individuals pick a college major in an area where they can get jobs.
Quote:
Computer science is a good choice because it is very likely that many of the best programmers have either Aspergers or some of its traits. Other good majors are: accounting, engineering, library science, and art with an emphasis on commercial art and drafting.
Majors in history, political science, business, English or pure math should be avoided. However, one could major in library science with a minor in history, but the library science degree makes it easier to get a good job.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM

22,674 posts, read 28,568,174 times
gee, i wonder what they do if they dont have full time jobs.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
gee, i wonder what they do if they dont have full time jobs.
Many are on Social Security disability and or are supported by their parents as long as the parents live. Some are able to stay with siblings etc. A lot depends on if they can find an advocate. Many are and can be highly successful depending on the extent of their issues. Aspergers is a milder form of Autism. A lot depends on where you live and the nature of employment opportunities etc. It was a big mistake coming in here and asking the question he did. Perhaps a former teacher or someone else can help him depending on the level of services if any he received in high school. I would encourage him to explore the possibility of taking some courses on line. Taking the risk of coming off of disability is not wise as getting back on could be impossible moving forward. Don't want him to become homeless etc etc.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 PM

5,476 posts, read 8,165,528 times
Aspergers is actually highly sought after in certain circles:

At This Chicago Employer, Asperger’s Syndrome Is a Job Requirement - ERE.net

Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Aspergers is actually highly sought after in certain circles:

At This Chicago Employer, Aspergerís Syndrome Is a Job Requirement - ERE.net
Very true and part of why I mentioned it depends on where he lives and if he gets an advocate. Asperger can be a work place blessing for some just like High intelligence ADHD can be very valuable with the resulting ability to multi task. It all depends on intellectual ability along with the handicapp and the availability of someone who will help guide the person.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:55 PM

4,174 posts, read 2,784,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Very true and part of why I mentioned it depends on where he lives and if he gets an advocate. Asperger can be a work place blessing for some just like High intelligence ADHD can be very valuable with the resulting ability to multi task. It all depends on intellectual ability along with the handicapp and the availability of someone who will help guide the person.
Kudos to you for taking the time to review the situation and being flexible in your thinking.

The OP may have presented his case poorly and have legitimate issues. We can only hope he pursues his education and uses that as a spring board to improving his situation and maintaining regular employment. That is the way it should work, all joking aside.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,762,829 times
If you think you have the desire and capacity to be an Electronics Engineer I'd suggest you start building some of the kits on this site and selling them online. Electronic Engineering is an exciting, stressful, competitive and changing industry that is controlling almost everything we touch.
www.ladyada.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics