U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-13-2013, 11:59 PM
 
18,856 posts, read 30,486,089 times
Reputation: 25990

Advertisements

Social security does NOT garnish your wages, as long as you claim impairment related work expenses. Every dollar you spend to maintain employment because of your disability is deducted from your gross wages.

You would need to stay under SGA, substantial gainful activity limit, in order to stay on SSI.

I suggest you contact your state vocational rehabilitation program, they may help you find employment, and will give you more guidance.

 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,243 times
Reputation: 10
You could try and use the internet and creative computer skills like me if you're in this type of situation of being virtually unemployable for a daytime job which I am not a big fan of anyways. Any other ways to be productive using the computer. But that's just the only alternative options that I know. It still takes a lot of research, effort, free time, passion, and the perfect plan to come up with something original and innovative to pull something like this off in which I haven't done yet.

Last edited by Powe2SD; 03-14-2013 at 12:58 AM..
 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:49 AM
 
1,092 posts, read 2,766,601 times
Reputation: 1122
I would like to clear up a few misconceptions for the OP and others:

Being approved for SSI is not a lifetime benefit. If your condition improves you are REQUIRED to notify Social Security. If you have a side business, such as regularly selling coins on EBay, you are required to notify SS, and there can be serious penalties for not doing so. Some of what you've described doing or wanting to do could be considered fraudulent.

It is NOT particularly easy to receive SSI approval, the nasty little secret is that it is easier to receive SSI than SSDI though. It is supposed to be for the SEVERELY disabled. Anyone thinking they can quit their job and hop on the gravy train will have a rude awakening, though you'll have an easier time if you didn't graduate from high school, don't speak English, have never worked, have no skills, etc. In otherwords those that have the most incentive to work and not accept the pittance that is disability, actually have the toughest time getting approved. (One aquaintenance lost ALL use of his limbs and most speech, and it took him years to qualify. Vets that are rated out 100% disabled from the VA are regularly denied SSDI. Etc.)

The OP's disability will be reviewed at regularly scheduled intervals. In all likelihood he'll receive the long form review, which frequently means a cessation of benefits.

OP: If you want to work Social Security will provide services to help you do just that. Social Security Administration's Ticket to Work Program

For those of you that know someone collecting SSI/SSDI that is working and not reporting the income, or any other type of fraudulent activity, please notify SS: Report Fraud, Waste or Abuse | Office of the Inspector General, SSA

For the record, I'm disabled and collecting SSDI.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 03:39 AM
 
2,096 posts, read 3,658,425 times
Reputation: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Wow... what a thread...

To begin with:

The Aspergers: At my last job, I managed a guy who suffered from OCD & Aspergers among a couple of other things. Although his atypical speech pattern took a bit of getting used to, he was a wonderful employee. He put in his hours (generally 30+ per week), was always willing to do overtime, did his job and did it well, and was actually very enjoyable to talk to. Oh, and he went to college full time too! Like the OP, he didn't have a car, but walked 3 miles to work unless he could get a ride from somebody (and he was always on time).

Studying so 'Can't Work' Mentality: Again, I take issue with this. I worked 40+ hours a week while doing my Bachelors and averaged 50 hours a week working while undertaking my Masters. I graduated from my Masters program with a 3.8 GPA. My husband is currently working 35+ hours a week and going to college full time for his Bachelors Degree- only 1 of the 4 classes he is taking this semester can be taken online so he's at Campus most days. Guess what? He's currently got a 4.0 GPA. He studies during his lunch break at work and at college, as well as in the mornings and in the evenings. He doesn't get much (or any) time to socialize, but he doesn't see that as a priority right now.

Lastly, just because you're entitled to benefits doesn't mean you should take them as opposed to getting a 'real job'. This is why they don't call our generation 'the greatest generation'. In my opinion, it's the complete opposite, and it's scary. It actually angers me that our taxpayer dollars are funding people only because they think they're above a minimum wage job. As for any legitimate ways of making extra money, if there were simple ways, believe me, we'd all be doing it!

The 17 year old high school boy who lives across the road does odd jobs around the community, since we have a lot of elderly people on our street. He mows lawns, trims hedges, does basic repairs / upkeep and even changes people's oil in their cars. Obviously doing things like that isn't a guaranteed income, but it is extra money, even if it requires 'work'.
It's not just can I work, you don't understand. I live in a place with a horrible job market. And while my disability has improved, it's still not good enough that I can work 90 hours a week. If you think disabled only means in a wheelchair you obviously don't understand. I don't feel sorry for myself but I acknowledge I need some kind of assistance at the moment. Someone like me simply can't tolerate serving coffee to the public for 8 hours a day then working 8 more a day. I would break down psychologically under that kind of stress. It's not that I am a snob.

Many people with Aspergers will never hold a job, never have a family of their own, all I'm doing is trying to make an effort. Forfeiting my benefits would likely just mean that I will have to live with my parents forever or live on the street.

I'm glad most of the posters here think I'm scum for trying to make something of myself.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 03:46 AM
 
2,096 posts, read 3,658,425 times
Reputation: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
I would like to clear up a few misconceptions for the OP and others:

Being approved for SSI is not a lifetime benefit. If your condition improves you are REQUIRED to notify Social Security. If you have a side business, such as regularly selling coins on EBay, you are required to notify SS, and there can be serious penalties for not doing so. Some of what you've described doing or wanting to do could be considered fraudulent.
I don't regularly sell coins on ebay but if I do start to regularly, I will report my income to SSI. I just buy and sell a thing here and there.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 AM
 
29,464 posts, read 33,728,825 times
Reputation: 11093
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
It's not just can I work, you don't understand. I live in a place with a horrible job market. And while my disability has improved, it's still not good enough that I can work 90 hours a week. If you think disabled only means in a wheelchair you obviously don't understand. I don't feel sorry for myself but I acknowledge I need some kind of assistance at the moment. Someone like me simply can't tolerate serving coffee to the public for 8 hours a day then working 8 more a day. I would break down psychologically under that kind of stress. It's not that I am a snob.

Many people with Aspergers will never hold a job, never have a family of their own, all I'm doing is trying to make an effort. Forfeiting my benefits would likely just mean that I will have to live with my parents forever or live on the street.

I'm glad most of the posters here think I'm scum for trying to make something of myself.
While I understand interacting in a forum is easier than in person I again suggest this is not the forum or the topic to expose yourself to. Best of luck and find a place more designed to be helpful.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 AM
 
2,076 posts, read 3,683,292 times
Reputation: 2510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My Aspergers Child: Best and Worst Jobs for Aspergers Adults
80% of grown-ups with Aspergers do not have full-time jobs not because they cant do the work, but because they cant manage to be socially acceptable while they get the work done.

Countless studies show individuals would rather have pleasant and personable co-workers than a co-worker who is always right. One Aspie states, I try to keep this in mind each day, and consequently, I spend a lot of time planning my interactions. But sometimes my plans fail. Quote:
It is important that Aspergers individuals pick a college major in an area where they can get jobs. Quote:
Computer science is a good choice because it is very likely that many of the best programmers have either Aspergers or some of its traits. Other good majors are: accounting, engineering, library science, and art with an emphasis on commercial art and drafting.
Majors in history, political science, business, English or pure math should be avoided. However, one could major in library science with a minor in history, but the library science degree makes it easier to get a good job.
The lone wolf programmer is a misconception from back when there was a bigger distinction between those that 'know computers' and those that don't. Now everyone knows enough about computers to understand design diagrams, data flows, etc. And the stakeholders are going to want to know what's going on, which means meetings and presentations.

Being the 'best' programmers is less and less about writing actual code (since the tools to do so are getting better and better), but more about being able to effectively manage projects and people.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
905 posts, read 2,218,047 times
Reputation: 424
OP while I feel bad for you in a lot of ways, your attitude sucks. People have overcome a lot worse and turning down work because you don't think you can do it isn't going to gain you any support from us taxpayers who are paying your way. First you say your area has a terrible job market and then you say you are turning down work becuase you don't think you can do it. Why should you have some awesome good paying job without being able to demonstrate that you are worth that?

My brother has Aspergers and works two full-time jobs. He works as a mechanic and also works at a local auto parts store. It is a shame because I am a software developer and he has a much higher aptitude for computers than I ever will. It is his social issues that keep him from having an office job like me. Also no parents to bankroll his college pipe dreams. He just has the opposite attitude of you. He hasn't given up because he has social issues, he says FU Aspergers and works anyway. It isn't easy for him but he manages. Life isn't supposed to be easy or accomodating.

I moved out when I was 18 and was completely self-sufficient. I learned how to program in high school and on my own time. My brother taught himself how to work on cars. There are still useful skills that you can teach yourself even in this economy.

Also don't think I'm some old coot, I am 25.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 AM
 
2,096 posts, read 3,658,425 times
Reputation: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
OP while I feel bad for you in a lot of ways, your attitude sucks. People have overcome a lot worse and turning down work because you don't think you can do it isn't going to gain you any support from us taxpayers who are paying your way. First you say your area has a terrible job market and then you say you are turning down work becuase you don't think you can do it. Why should you have some awesome good paying job without being able to demonstrate that you are worth that?

My brother has Aspergers and works two full-time jobs. He works as a mechanic and also works at a local auto parts store. It is a shame because I am a software developer and he has a much higher aptitude for computers than I ever will. It is his social issues that keep him from having an office job like me. Also no parents to bankroll his college pipe dreams. He just has the opposite attitude of you. He hasn't given up because he has social issues, he says FU Aspergers and works anyway. It isn't easy for him but he manages. Life isn't supposed to be easy or accomodating.

I moved out when I was 18 and was completely self-sufficient. I learned how to program in high school and on my own time. My brother taught himself how to work on cars. There are still useful skills that you can teach yourself even in this economy.

Also don't think I'm some old coot, I am 25.
So do you think I should call the government and say "I don't think I need this money", tell my dad "I'm not going to school, I'm gonna find a job, thanks for the offer"? I mean that sounds kind of extreme but yeah.

Honestly I'd rather be homeless than have to work two full time jobs. What's the point of living if you do nothing but work? But I don't think I'd even be able to find any work anyways.

My point was 1) There isn't much work at all here anyways and 2) even if there was, I couldn't make a livable wage without a college degree.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
905 posts, read 2,218,047 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
So do you think I should call the government and say "I don't think I need this money", tell my dad "I'm not going to school, I'm gonna find a job, thanks for the offer"? I mean that sounds kind of extreme but yeah.
That is an extreme response and maybe not all at once, but yes self-sufficiency should be the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Honestly I'd rather be homeless than have to work two full time jobs. What's the point of living if you do nothing but work? But I don't think I'd even be able to find any work anyways.
This is a problem with your attitude. The point is to take at least some of the burden off the people that are supporting you because you aren't willing to work. Whether that is your parents who don't owe you anything since you are an adult and have been for some time or the taxpayers who are willing to work two full-time crappy jobs. Seriously there are people that work to crappy jobs just to make ends meet and they are paying for you. Do you think that is fair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
My point was 1) There isn't much work at all here anyways and 2) even if there was, I couldn't make a livable wage without a college degree.
So you should just give up? You can still make it without a degree it is just difficult and you have to do all of the learning on your own. I have been a software developer for almost 8 years now and only have an AAS degree which I got while WORKING FULL TIME. Maybe if you tried to work you would be surprised with what you could accomplish. Don't you want to help take some of the burden off your parents who have had to support you well into your adulthood? You aren't a child and in my opinion you should be on the street if you aren't willing to work. Hell you could even volunteer with all this free time you have. Why don't you try giving back something to society instead of just taking from it?

I don't necessarily blame all of this on you. You are a product of our entitled generation and the parents that raised us. If you really did have to live on the street, you would probably realize how lucky you are and how good you have it and maybe it would motivate you to work for minimum wage so that you have food in your belly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top