Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
nope, we have no right to judge; just to pay.

the kid can work. i dont care if you throw around the name of a syndrome and now believe that all judgment or negative criticism is off the table. he shouldnt be getting anything from the taxpayers.
So, do you not believe in SSDI at all, or it is just subjective based on what you *think* is a disability?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
So, do you not believe in SSDI at all, or it is just subjective based on what you *think* is a disability?
i believe it should be for people who legitimately can not keep any job.

i dont think i should be creating the standard, but i also dont think that whoever is currently creating the standard should be doing it either.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Well thanks for being helpful ... not.

And thanks Moonlady, for sticking up for me. I do want to work - that's why I'm going to college. And I wasn't just handed the benefits, I had to hire a lawyer, it took years actually and I spent years looking for a job but being that I came of age when the economy collapsed, and had almost no work experience, I had to settle with volunteering at the animal shelter for a while.

I think I could work, but you have to realize that people with Asperger syndrome are often fired and/or not picked for jobs. Electronic engineering is something that my disability would not hinder me from doing, and getting my SSI payments will permit me to go to college.

If I forfeited my benefits which by law I am entitled to, I would have to work full time and my grades would suffer and I wouldn't be able to obtain my degree. How hard is that to understand?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:35 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
If I forfeited my benefits which by law I am entitled to, I would have to work full time and my grades would suffer and I wouldn't be able to obtain my degree. How hard is that to understand?
i dont really blame you for being a parasite, like you said "by law i am entitled to." the law needs to be changed so that people like you cant get benefits.

i had a lot of friends that worked during college. boohoo that you would have to work and your grades may suffer. god what a sorry case you are.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Here...
Gotcha and I understand and thank you

Old 03-13-2013, 05:11 PM

75 posts, read 173,702 times
He will
be in the 1%. The bottom 1%

Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Belmont22, no matter what anyone posts, you have an excuse why it won't work. That's the problem. You want someone to outline a golden plan for you and it isn't going to happen. If you wanted to make money, you would be working. Working hard. Hard workers get ahead. Lallygagging workers don't. Lazy workers don't. Are you a lazy person? Do you think the world owes you a living? It doesn't. Earning an EE degree is not easy. Are u sure you have what it takes? I'm not so sure. You'll make an excuse, though.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Aspergers is another situation and surely would and should qualify as a disability and is a legitimate handicapping condition. I must have missed the reference about Aspergers can you repost where he mentioned that.
The OP needs to get help for his mental health. He doesn't seem too keen on doing it. I hope that changes.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:49 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Electronic engineering is something that my disability would not hinder me from doing,
I don't know where you get this idea. I went to an engineering school. Every engineer I know has to deal with people. I'm in meetings about 3-4 hours a day. I know of others who go straight from meeting to meeting. It's a requisite for the job and interpersonal skills will certainly be part of the job interview. If you can't deal with people now, nothing will change.

Fix the source of your problem first. You have to overcome your 'disability' before anyone will hire you.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Wow... what a thread...

To begin with:

The Aspergers: At my last job, I managed a guy who suffered from OCD & Aspergers among a couple of other things. Although his atypical speech pattern took a bit of getting used to, he was a wonderful employee. He put in his hours (generally 30+ per week), was always willing to do overtime, did his job and did it well, and was actually very enjoyable to talk to. Oh, and he went to college full time too! Like the OP, he didn't have a car, but walked 3 miles to work unless he could get a ride from somebody (and he was always on time).

Studying so 'Can't Work' Mentality: Again, I take issue with this. I worked 40+ hours a week while doing my Bachelors and averaged 50 hours a week working while undertaking my Masters. I graduated from my Masters program with a 3.8 GPA. My husband is currently working 35+ hours a week and going to college full time for his Bachelors Degree- only 1 of the 4 classes he is taking this semester can be taken online so he's at Campus most days. Guess what? He's currently got a 4.0 GPA. He studies during his lunch break at work and at college, as well as in the mornings and in the evenings. He doesn't get much (or any) time to socialize, but he doesn't see that as a priority right now.

Lastly, just because you're entitled to benefits doesn't mean you should take them as opposed to getting a 'real job'. This is why they don't call our generation 'the greatest generation'. In my opinion, it's the complete opposite, and it's scary. It actually angers me that our taxpayer dollars are funding people only because they think they're above a minimum wage job. As for any legitimate ways of making extra money, if there were simple ways, believe me, we'd all be doing it!

The 17 year old high school boy who lives across the road does odd jobs around the community, since we have a lot of elderly people on our street. He mows lawns, trims hedges, does basic repairs / upkeep and even changes people's oil in their cars. Obviously doing things like that isn't a guaranteed income, but it is extra money, even if it requires 'work'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics