Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times

Advertisements

I sell coins on ebay but they take so much of my profit out with fees, that it's barely worth the effort (I made a $30 profit and they took $11 so I ended up making a measly $19 profit).

Craigslist has very few odd jobs, and the ones they have tend to either require experience, a car, or the relevant tools, none of which I have.

And I don't have any store of capital to make investments. I am on SSI for disability so if I work a service-sector job I will be making peanuts, since they will just take half of it away. It's not worth slaving as a barista to rude people just for a measly 3 dollars an hour. I don't get much in SSI but it keeps my housing and living situation secure.

I'm 23 years old and on the 1st I will be starting college so I can become an electronic engineer. That is if there are any jobs available in that field to newcomers come 2015.

What creative things can I do in the meantime to make money so I can travel during the summer? It seems so hard to make any kind of money, all the possibilities are either out of my reach or pay so little that it doesn't even seem worth trying.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I sell coins on ebay but they take so much of my profit out with fees, that it's barely worth the effort (I made a $30 profit and they took $11 so I ended up making a measly $19 profit).

Craigslist has very few odd jobs, and the ones they have tend to either require experience, a car, or the relevant tools, none of which I have.

And I don't have any store of capital to make investments. I am on SSI for disability so if I work a service-sector job I will be making peanuts, since they will just take half of it away. It's not worth slaving as a barista to rude people just for a measly 3 dollars an hour. I don't get much in SSI but it keeps my housing and living situation secure.

I'm 23 years old and on the 1st I will be starting college so I can become an electronic engineer. That is if there are any jobs available in that field to newcomers come 2015.

What creative things can I do in the meantime to make money so I can travel during the summer? It seems so hard to make any kind of money, all the possibilities are either out of my reach or pay so little that it doesn't even seem worth trying.
Get a car.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Get a car.
Problem is, that's a liability, because I have to pay for gas, insurance, new tires, and of course cars aren't cheap. And where I live, I don't need a car, so it's not really justifiable from that stand point.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:24 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Problem is, that's a liability, because I have to pay for gas, insurance, new tires, and of course cars aren't cheap. And where I live, I don't need a car, so it's not really justifiable from that stand point.
By not having a car, you seriously inhibit your ability to make a living.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,771 times
Quote:

Do you have scholarship to goto college or are you taking on loans?

If you are on disability and SSI is paying for you then taking loans to goto college is ill-advised move.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Do you have scholarship to goto college or are you taking on loans?

If you are on disability and SSI is paying for you then taking loans to goto college is ill-advised move.
My dad is kind enough to be paying my way through college. It's nothing fancy, just an associates in electronic engineering at the community college.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:32 AM

355 posts, read 913,244 times
Quote:
It's not worth slaving as a barista to rude people just for a measly 3 dollars an hour. I don't get much in SSI but it keeps my housing and living situation secure.
Anyone else see anything wrong with this? We don't need to worry about terrorist attacks, this country will implode from within...

What ever happened to PRIDE in making your own money and not mooching off the government? You will NEVER get ahead anywhere with that attitude. If you are ABLE to work, you should be WILLING.

Let me guess you are looking for "creative" jobs that will pay under the table so you don't have to report the income so you have extra money to TRAVEL during the summer?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
Anyone else see anything wrong with this? We don't need to worry about terrorist attacks, this country will implode from within...

What ever happened to PRIDE in making your own money and not mooching off the government? You will NEVER get ahead anywhere with that attitude. If you are ABLE to work, you should be WILLING.

Let me guess you are looking for "creative" jobs that will pay under the table so you don't have to report the income so you have extra money to TRAVEL during the summer?
I got SSI because I was too anxious to work and nobody would hire me. I don't really have a lot of friends where I live so I don't have connections, nor do I have any experience beyond a summer job six years ago in the summer of 2007 when I was 17 years old. Who do you think they're gonna hire, the 40 year old mom who needs a job to feed her kids or me, the guy who's well into his 20s and has barely any work experience?

No connections + no experience = no job. If I forfeited my SSI, I wouldn't be able to go to college. Working full time and getting a degree at the same time is not something I could handle nor am I sure it's even possible. Getting SSI not only ensures that I have a place to stay and don't have to worry about losing a job and moving back in with my mom and having to quit college, but it makes it so I have time to focus on school and sleep at night so I can get good grades.

SSI garnishes your wage if you get a job, so even if I was lucky enough to find one, I would be working for peanuts. 20 hours a week at 3 dollars an hour is not even worth bothering with. That's what, $240 a month?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:37 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post

+1

Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 AM

355 posts, read 913,244 times
[quote=belmont22;28630051Getting SSI not only ensures that I have a place to stay and don't have to worry about losing a job and moving back in with my mom and having to quit college, but it makes it so I have time to focus on school and sleep at night so I can get good grades.[/quote]

Good grief.
Mooch off your parents and not me. If you are "too anxious" to work, how will you be able to handle school?

You say no one would hire you and then you say you're above making $3 an hour as a barista. Which is it?

You are standing in your own way and if I had to guess your parents are enablers. Your dad is wasting his money. He is better off giving you some of that money to start an online coin business where you don't have to interact with people face to face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics