U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 12:51 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,170,189 times

Advertisements

Considering the hours at our banks and post offices are considerably longer than in some other countries (namely Australia and England) I think we're doing okay!

When I first moved to the U.S. I was thrilled that Post Offices were open on Saturday at all, and banks on Sunday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 12:56 AM

6,266 posts, read 6,098,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Considering the hours at our banks and post offices are considerably longer than in some other countries (namely Australia and England) I think we're doing okay!

When I first moved to the U.S. I was thrilled that Post Offices were open on Saturday at all, and banks on Sunday!
Yes. I worked in Asia, Europe and the US. Asia and Europe are like two extremes.
There's literally no 24h store in Europe. In the US at least you can choose to go shopping at midnight

Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Open an account in a branch bank in a shopping mall or supermarket. They're open store hours. Mine is open 7 days a week, and until 10 pm on weeknights.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,175,198 times
I don't really go to the bank or post office in person often, but sometimes occasionally I do have to use the post office and I always laugh how they lock their doors RIGHT when they are supposed to close. You think being short on money they would take all the business they can get. /shrug

Old 03-17-2013, 10:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,226,903 times
I really do hope this starts bank runs all around the world.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:39 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,690,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
They may need to reform. Since the private services like UPS and FedEx can make profits, USPS should extend their business too. One thing they can add is to issue credit cards and debit cards and provide a better money transferring service. If I can do that with USPS, I will not use Paypal, Wells Fargo etc. At least USPS belongs to the government and is more trustworthy in a sense.

Probably I should try TD bank in the future.
may need to reform? they're run inefficiently, locked into terrible contacts and charge way too little for most of their products.fed ex and ups are well run because if not they will lose money and go out of business. the post office just steals money from the tax payers when they're burning money.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:40 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,690,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
I don't really go to the bank or post office in person often, but sometimes occasionally I do have to use the post office and I always laugh how they lock their doors RIGHT when they are supposed to close. You think being short on money they would take all the business they can get. /shrug
they lose money on most of their business
they lose enough money as it is, the longer they stay open the more money they would probably lose

Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 AM

6,266 posts, read 6,098,121 times
Huh I went to the local post office before work today. You guess what? They were closed because of a "computer problem".

When I asked the lady if she can just weigh my envelope so I can put stamps by myself, she said she can't do it.
Ok nice.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Huh I went to the local post office before work today. You guess what? They were closed because of a "computer problem".

When I asked the lady if she can just weigh my envelope so I can put stamps by myself, she said she can't do it.
Ok nice.
That makes no sense to me. Every post office that I've been to has at least one offline scale.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:17 PM

8,011 posts, read 22,499,039 times
Wow, until I saw this thread, I didn't realize that some post offices are open on Saturdays. My post office is open only 8:30 to 5:00 Monday through Friday, the same hours that I work, meaning if I have to go there, say to pick up a certified letter, I either spend my lunch break there (fortunately work, home and post office are all in relatively close proximity), or take off work. But I looked and my area does have a few post offices open a couple hours on Saturdays (although most are still closed, so I would have to look up who was open), so if I just had general mailing stuff to do, and didn't need to go to my particular office, I could do that on Saturday. I've never needed to do that. So yes, I find post office hours inconvenient for my particular schedule, but such is life.

As for banks, all the big banks in my area are open until at least 6:00 PM, many are open until 7:00, and most have some hours on Saturday. Some of the ones in grocery stores even have Sunday hours. No problem going there after work. But some of the smaller local banks have no weekend hours, and close at 5:00 on weekdays. We do some of our business banking at a small local bank that has no Saturday hours, and close at 5:00 Monday through Thursday. They are open until 6:00 on Fridays, so I almost always schedule my banking such that I can take deposits in after we close up on Fridays. If I have something that has to go sooner, I have to lock up the office to run it down, which is inconvenient. Their online banking system is also practically non-existant. Many do not like "big banks", but they do have some benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics