U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-16-2013, 04:43 PM
 
6,269 posts, read 6,102,825 times
Reputation: 2227

Advertisements

When I lived in China, everything opens 7 days a week, and closes later than 6:30pm.
So I can do banking and mailing any time I want.

In the US, however, I often need to rush in those places after work, unless I want to scarify my sleep on Saturday morning. Sunday is a waste too.

It is still better than Europe though.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2013, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Warwick, RI
2,546 posts, read 3,857,873 times
Reputation: 4038
So what? My bank is open until 6PM, and that's good enough for me. I rarely use the post office, but even they're open until noon on Saturday, and if that's too early for you, then your doing something wrong. Noon is plenty late enough on the weekend, and if this is the biggest problem in your life, count yourself lucky.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 05:09 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Reputation: 40527
Banks used to be open from 9-2 with an hour closed for lunch.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 05:23 PM
 
6,269 posts, read 6,102,825 times
Reputation: 2227
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
So what? My bank is open until 6PM, and that's good enough for me. I rarely use the post office, but even they're open until noon on Saturday, and if that's too early for you, then your doing something wrong. Noon is plenty late enough on the weekend, and if this is the biggest problem in your life, count yourself lucky.
Not everyone has as much free time as you do. I usually work till 6pm every day. And how much time do I have? Of course I can leave work occasionally but that's not the best deal.

Saturday morning is for me to have a good rest, so I prefer not going out unless there's something very important.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 PM
 
797 posts, read 1,077,282 times
Reputation: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Not everyone has as much free time as you do. I usually work till 6pm every day. And how much time do I have? Of course I can leave work occasionally but that's not the best deal.

Saturday morning is for me to have a good rest, so I prefer not going out unless there's something very important.
evidently going to the bank or post office lacks importance.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 11:51 PM
 
1,567 posts, read 2,691,947 times
Reputation: 1262
td bank (used to be commerce) used is open 7 days a week
some post offices are open late but they're hemmoraging enough money as it is
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 11:54 PM
 
Location: Someplace Wonderful
5,170 posts, read 3,727,230 times
Reputation: 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
When I lived in China, everything opens 7 days a week, and closes later than 6:30pm.
So I can do banking and mailing any time I want.

In the US, however, I often need to rush in those places after work, unless I want to scarify my sleep on Saturday morning. Sunday is a waste too.

It is still better than Europe though.
Well, between direct deposit and on-line banking and bill pay, what's the problem? Get with it, my man, be hip. You are living the 20th century lifestyle, and that is not so good here in the 21st.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 AM
 
6,269 posts, read 6,102,825 times
Reputation: 2227
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Well, between direct deposit and on-line banking and bill pay, what's the problem? Get with it, my man, be hip. You are living the 20th century lifestyle, and that is not so good here in the 21st.
I am an IT engineer and use online services as much as possible.
However, sometimes I do need to show up in those places.

If you need to mail stuff often you will understand it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2013, 12:17 AM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,130,468 times
Reputation: 12779
I rarely go to the bank anymore so that doesn't really bother me. TDBank is open 7 days a week and PNC Bank has late hours one some days.

I just drop stuff off at the post office before or after work. It's not open but I can still go into the building and use the self-service if I need. The only time that I need a person at the Post office is when I need to send something certified.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2013, 12:27 AM
 
6,269 posts, read 6,102,825 times
Reputation: 2227
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
td bank (used to be commerce) used is open 7 days a week
some post offices are open late but they're hemmoraging enough money as it is
They may need to reform. Since the private services like UPS and FedEx can make profits, USPS should extend their business too. One thing they can add is to issue credit cards and debit cards and provide a better money transferring service. If I can do that with USPS, I will not use Paypal, Wells Fargo etc. At least USPS belongs to the government and is more trustworthy in a sense.

Probably I should try TD bank in the future.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top