Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Still angry at Wall Street?
Yes, they're a bunch of bastards 54 84.38%
No, I forgive them 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:16 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times

Advertisements

The only way I will make my actual last comment on this matter is if I promise, so hear goes. I PROMISE it will be my last. Now if one of you 43 other people can have my back (more accurately OUR back) when another round of "denial, deflection, excuses (flawed polls, etc) and elitism" occur, it is greatly appreciated.

I believe several people posting are engaged in elitist denial. It is good for the soul just to admit when something is wrong and call a spade a spade. I am fairly certain a lot of you probably work on the Street or in banks/financial institutions. My criticism is primarily aimed at the power brokers and decision makers that did the most damage to cause the collapse.

There is a lot of frankly obvious info that is out there (Inside Job doc, etc) and we have a responsibility to the next generation not to be in denial. Have any of you thought about them?

I want to add that at a time when our troops were risking it all and UNSELFISHLY losing lives or seriously injured with missing legs/hands, etc (and we can disagree with the war decision and still respect them for their sacrifice), it was shameless and despicable for many of those on the Street to give our tax dollars out as bonuses to already well compensated people. They were grabbing every last almighty buck...even our tax money. If anything, they should be the first to give to (at least thanks) to the troops who make their (and our) success possible in the first place. Instead it goes to their own pocket.

If that does not at least make you think twice and strive for some decency and also show respect for those that are still not OK with it, then nothing will. The elitist insults to those who voted speak to character flaws of a few of the posters. The people who voted had every right to do so.

BTW, Tuborg, "resembling" me won't stop me from speaking my mind. I may do a little more. Feel free to do the same. We can all at least agree that we don't want the 2008 crisis to happen again. I think there is a lot of denial for what is frankly an "obvious no brainer". I am surprised that anyone woudl be surprised at the poll results! Most people are still decent at the end of the day!

Everyone, have a nice day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Chessgeek, I sold a house in March of 2007 and the buyer put 260K down so they still have equity. The price fell about 100K eventually but has started to rebound. My neighbor sold theirs for a comparable amount with the purchaser putting zero down and even needing help at settlement. They are clearly still under water. Earlier my son sold a townhouse he had purchased for 175K two years later for 350K and he realized at settlement it was on a shaky ground on the buyers side. I have had people tell me that we were responsible for what happened and I won't share my reactions to them. That being said I shall not throw stones because a lot of folks were involved in profiting from the housing bubble and I admit it.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
The poll is not completely useless. There are still telling results.

1600 people who didn't vote because they couldn't (as in they were never mad at Wall Street) or just didn't care to (introducing a high margin of error) is still significantly higher than the 56 that were either mad at one point or are still mad now.

It is good that a majority of the people believe cannot say they are/were mad at Wall street. It helps to restore one's faith in the American people.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It is good that a majority of the people believe cannot say they are/were mad at Wall street. It helps to restore one's faith in the American people.
The faith that they're just willing to take abuse without protest, that they forgive and forget too easily?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The faith that they're just willing to take abuse without protest, that they forgive and forget too easily?
Maybe we never felt abused? Maybe just maybe. I was more upset with myself to be honest with you. I also understand that what the market giveth the market taketh and until you sell you have not gained or loss money and if you buy no one is putting a gun to your head to make you do so at that price. That includes homes also.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I am not unhappy with my "wall street" investment company. My mutual funds did not even lose money in 2007. They have done very well ever since.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
POLL: Are people still pissed off at Wall Street for ruining a good thing for the rest of us, or has the anger simmered down?

On a related note, there's a humorous little book called Gents with No Cents by Ron Dellege II. An enjoyable, although sadly true, account of some of the shenanigans of Wall Street.
i was never mad at wall street. i was and continue to be mad at our government.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:24 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i was never mad at wall street. i was and continue to be mad at our government.

90% incumbent reelection rate.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
90% incumbent reelection rate.
i was listening to john gambling on the radio and he said (and he said he has been saying for 12 years) vote out all imcumbents. i was thinking that i bet he himself has voted for incumbents especially if the incumbent was a repiblican. but i dont really think thats a policy that makes sense. because the person who replaces the incumbent will probably act the same as the incumbent. not that it will turn out any better, but i believe we should at least try to vote out people who actually are trying to change the current 100% corrupt government like tea party/libertarian folks.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:49 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i was listening to john gambling on the radio and he said (and he said he has been saying for 12 years) vote out all imcumbents. i was thinking that i bet he himself has voted for incumbents especially if the incumbent was a repiblican. but i dont really think thats a policy that makes sense. because the person who replaces the incumbent will probably act the same as the incumbent. not that it will turn out any better, but i believe we should at least try to vote out people who actually are trying to change the current 100% corrupt government like tea party/libertarian folks.

I am open to rule by benevolent AI and computer algorithms,

even spin the bottle beautocracy ...

I might even give up more of my rights to my privates under such a governance...

Or from a pool of randomly selected registered voters.

And I am serious about the last one.

Select from 1000 people with several elimination primaries along with a ballot recast option where upon a certain percentage of votes will force a recast.

Otherwise its career politicians and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics