Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 06:47 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,188,930 times

Advertisements

80% of people that apply for tourist visa never leave

Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,365,484 times
LOL!!! There are three million tourist visas issued every year.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:17 PM

25,719 posts, read 21,874,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Problem is a lot of employers have no way of knowing. I use independent contractors pretty routinely. I just ask for a work sample and a W-9. If someone is illegal, I'd really have no way of knowing. They'd have to be educated and be fluent in English, especially written English. That excludes most Americans and even more immigrants, legal or otherwise.

Others do turn a blind eye. Cheap labor pool they can exploit without repercussion is hard to turn down. That's why you make them legal. Maintains the labor pool but brings it above ground and subject to labor laws, taxation, etc.
And, a decent wage being paid which the businesses do not want to pay. Once these people become legal and entitled to benefits, will they want to work for less than the amount of public assistance/additional benefits that come with it? Our citizens don't do that now. Kansas is a good example because businesses love the illegals here, which has kept wages down, and when I ran the numbers of working for a low wage, paying for insurance, etc., it would be to one's advantage if they have a family, think kids ($$$) to be on public assistance.

I can't figure out where all the jobs are going to be if the flood gates are officially opened. I do agree that if we truly need workers, a work visa should be issued to get that done but businesses and those wealthy who hire them as domestic help won't allow that.

What about e-verify?

Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 PM

29,681 posts, read 24,732,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
And, a decent wage being paid which the businesses do not want to pay. Once these people become legal and entitled to benefits, will they want to work for less than the amount of public assistance/additional benefits that come with it? Our citizens don't do that now. Kansas is a good example because businesses love the illegals here, which has kept wages down, and when I ran the numbers of working for a low wage, paying for insurance, etc., it would be to one's advantage if they have a family, think kids ($$$) to be on public assistance.

I can't figure out where all the jobs are going to be if the flood gates are officially opened. I do agree that if we truly need workers, a work visa should be issued to get that done but businesses and those wealthy who hire them as domestic help won't allow that.

What about e-verify?
If they become legal, their job prospects or income earning potential doesn't change by much I believe. The biggest difference is they would likely avoid work that pays under the table. Think about it for a second... When they drop their anchors and get their citizenship, do they suddenly acquire any skills that warrants a better wage? Do they learn how to speak the language fluently? Nothing changes, and so they are stuck competing for the same work.

Having said that, some of them earn $12 or $13 an hour, which might provide too much to quality for benefits. Folks would be surprised that some of those labor intensive jobs can actually pay considerably more than burger flipping jobs. My last job was working in a sizable plant that was 75% Spanish speaking. Most of the unskilled work was done by temps, and every single one of them was from some Spanish speaking country, Mexico being the most common country of origin. Those jobs paid minimum wage. Semi skilled workers started at $12/hr with good opportunity for overtime. Every production worker had the opportunity to work at least 50 hours a week, some up to 60. I've never seen OT turned down, which would obviously disqualify them for most, if not all federal subsidies. Jobs with more responsibility started at least at $16/hr and so on.

As for e-verify, many of the McDonalds around here advertise on their signs that they use it. That doesn't change the fact that you don't see too many young high school kids working those jobs anymore...

Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,718,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
If the feds really wanted to stop illegal immigration, they could do it in a heartbeat. Why is it we can fight wars half way around the world but not control our borders? It's a matter of priorities.

Here's the REAL reason why they don't do it:

1. The Democratic party (primarily) wants a continuing source of voters and people dependent on them/the welfare state.
2. The Republican party (primarily) wants a cheap slave labor force.
3. The Global Elite do not want people to have a national identity. They want to get rid of national boundaries and identities in favor of a Global government dictatorship...Having massive illegal immigration in many countries is but one step in the process of leading us down the road to global tyranny.

i think this too. but to say Dem or Rep party, doesn't mean people who vote that way, but the party leaders. that means, we need some sort of revolution.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,718,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If they become legal, their job prospects or income earning potential doesn't change by much I believe. The biggest difference is they would likely avoid work that pays under the table. Think about it for a second... When they drop their anchors and get their citizenship, do they suddenly acquire any skills that warrants a better wage? Do they learn how to speak the language fluently? Nothing changes, and so they are stuck competing for the same work.

Having said that, some of them earn $12 or $13 an hour, which might provide too much to quality for benefits. Folks would be surprised that some of those labor intensive jobs can actually pay considerably more than burger flipping jobs. My last job was working in a sizable plant that was 75% Spanish speaking. Most of the unskilled work was done by temps, and every single one of them was from some Spanish speaking country, Mexico being the most common country of origin. Those jobs paid minimum wage. Semi skilled workers started at $12/hr with good opportunity for overtime. Every production worker had the opportunity to work at least 50 hours a week, some up to 60. I've never seen OT turned down, which would obviously disqualify them for most, if not all federal subsidies. Jobs with more responsibility started at least at $16/hr and so on.

As for e-verify, many of the McDonalds around here advertise on their signs that they use it. That doesn't change the fact that you don't see too many young high school kids working those jobs anymore...
does e verify work if they are identity thieves or if the employer lies too?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,352,246 times
England is an island and has people illegally enter. the cost/benefit of most things done to "secure the boarder" is just not there. i'd like to see harsh penalties for any employer found to be employing illegal immigrants, and enforcement of that. take out the main reasons why illegal immigrants come and stay (employers looking for cheap labor), and you'll reduce "illegal immigration". have a legal process for guest workers to come and fill the jobs that need to be filled.

it really isn't the problem people make it out to be. just more stump-speech material.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
If the feds really wanted to stop illegal immigration, they could do it in a heartbeat. Why is it we can fight wars half way around the world but not control our borders? It's a matter of priorities.

Here's the REAL reason why they don't do it:

1. The Democratic party (primarily) wants a continuing source of voters and people dependent on them/the welfare state.
2. The Republican party (primarily) wants a cheap slave labor force.
3. The Global Elite do not want people to have a national identity. They want to get rid of national boundaries and identities in favor of a Global government dictatorship...Having massive illegal immigration in many countries is but one step in the process of leading us down the road to global tyranny.
how exactly do illegal immigrants vote for the Democrat politicians that run for office?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,421,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
how exactly do illegal immigrants vote for the Democrat politicians that run for office?
With false documents are you serious? The first time I voted in CO all you had to do was show a license. Now CO is giving those to illegals so they won't even need that.

We actually really do need a real secure ID, not just a license.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
With false documents are you serious? The first time I voted in CO all you had to do was show a license. Now CO is giving those to illegals so they won't even need that.

We actually really do need a real secure ID, not just a license.
Proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics