U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,220,054 times

Advertisements

I found a rather disturbing piece of news today at infowars.com and I thought everyone should be aware of it. If this is true, The Dept of Home Security can enter any bank and open any bank deposit box they feel like doing without any warrant and without any warning. They can seize any gold, guns, passports or any other material which they feel is contraband or illegal. How many people save their valuables in their bank safety deposit box ready for that day when their world turns upside down? Anyone informing the world which boxes have been raided is due for prosecution under the Patriot Act

Infowars.com

Of course, I can see how the search for terrorists is a reason this might be done, but I do not see why a warrant cannot be applied for and obtained. This does not take long to get and there are not too many people in the chain for the information to leak out prior to the 'raid' on the bank box. I also feel that a blanket authorisation is another step in the eroding of everyone's rights and should be opposed as unnecessary. It seems that DHS are really becoming rather like the gestapo and are becoming very powerful. It is dangerous for any 'police type' organisation to become too powerful and these regulations are difficult to undo once they are in place.

No doubt that people will just say that if you have nothing to hide, then there is no reason to be worried. I agree, except that it is the increase of powers which can be used without recourse to our legal system which is worrying me - not that I have any of the above items in a bank deposit box.

Do you feel this is a big issue and does this worry you at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
No; it requires a warrant to do that still. Really money is as safe as ever here its just has never been totlly safe anywhere. Not suprising that people are just now realisign that deposits i bnaks is you loan the bank your money for interest.All it takes is declaring a tax to take some of it by a law.I would say the most unsafe is any bank that the governamtn has total control of.I say lok at safe heavens in this world economy and you'll see that even treasuries ar5e one if nott eh safest by judgements and our banks are getttig alot of money since the Cypruss thing.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:38 AM

5,537 posts, read 9,935,931 times
The biggest concern you should have is that you believe what infowars says.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:38 AM

4,130 posts, read 3,854,852 times
Alex Jones is an un-medicated paranoia schizophrenic, and a national joke. It's concerning anyone believes what he says is true.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:01 PM

17,751 posts, read 15,639,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Alex Jones is an un-medicated paranoia schizophrenic, and a national joke. It's concerning anyone believes what he says is true.
Is that a refutation?

Did I need his advice anyway?

California Seizing Property from Safety Deposit Boxes

Old 04-04-2013, 08:31 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,944,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
The biggest concern you should have is that you believe what infowars says.
As soon as I read I saw this on infowars, I automatically switched from this could be crazy, to this is going to be funny.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,223,696 times
So... we don't even bother to check into a claim anymore? If it is mentioned by Alex Jones, it is magically BS?

Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
So... we don't even bother to check into a claim anymore? If it is mentioned by Alex Jones, it is magically BS?
That and or it's infowars.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:59 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Is that a refutation?

Did I need his advice anyway?

California Seizing Property from Safety Deposit Boxes
Basid cally safety deposit boxes are rented and once abandoned by not apyig rent the contents go to state like other acoounts at banks.No mystery there.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basid cally safety deposit boxes are rented and once abandoned by not apyig rent the contents go to state like other acoounts at banks.No mystery there.
Also, it's not the state seizing the contents... it's the bank giving the contents to the state. I've had to clear out safe deposit boxes before. It sucked seeing a bag of money get sent to the state. But it was also at the same time fun sending a bag full of trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or