Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
No, I pay taxes on Gasoline for road repairs. ( of course the politicians steal this money for other useless programs, and then when the roads start falling apart they say we need a bond package to fix them, here in Maine we vote for road and bridge bonds constantly but yet the roads never seam to get any better.)

bill
exactly. they say "oh you have to pay if you want the roads." but is that what they spend the money on? they are spending a lot of that money on other crap that they shouldnt. but then when they say its for "infrastructure, bridges, roads and tunnels" suddenly you are supposed to start giving them blank checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 09:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
exactly. they say "oh you have to pay if you want the roads." but is that what they spend the money on? they are spending a lot of that money on other crap that they shouldnt. but then when they say its for "infrastructure, bridges, roads and tunnels" suddenly you are supposed to start giving them blank checks.
For us, this is a matter we would have to take up with Chris Christie. Not the Senate (or federal government). Sales/Use tax rates are set by the state, and spent by the state.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
What are you talking about?

Point of Internet Tax Bill:

Provides free software for remote sellers that calculates sales and use taxes, files tax returns, and updates tax rate changes;

So.... i guess we are all ponying up on this huh? Wonder how much the feds are wanting to give away on this "free" software? 1,5,10M?
Currently, when we purchase goods online (from out of state), we have to keep track of our receipts and pay the taxes directly to the state. How you pay varies from state to state, but in NJ, we have to pay with our state income taxes.

Frankly, I think it's easier if online retailers collect taxes at the time of the purchase so I don't have to deal with it later on.

The biggest reason for the push for this bill is that there are tax evaders who aren't paying taxes that they owe. They think that because the transaction is not reported to their state, they can get away evading the tax. If you're not fond of this bill, blame those who are failing to pay their sales/use taxes for online purchases.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Currently, when we purchase goods online (from out of state), we have to keep track of our receipts and pay the taxes directly to the state.

If you're not fond of this bill, blame those who are failing to pay their sales/use taxes for online purchases.
uhh what? The first statement. When did this exactly start? Is that like when California changed their tax code and back taxed everyone?

I doubt many people know they are required by law to pay taxes on online purchases. What if I pay with bit coins? Still gotta pay taxes? This place is sure sounding like Europe with all it's taxes...

Old 05-13-2013, 06:35 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
I've never seen so many people arguing FOR higher sales tax.

What is wrong with you people?

Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

What is wrong with you people?
This doesn't change the rate of sales tax. It just changes when the taxes are collected. What's wrong is that you're failing to understand how the taxes work. For example, in NJ, we've always been expected to pay 7% on online purchases. This does not change that (for better or worse).

Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Actually, the argument is for lower tax rates. When a state collects all it's owed at X%...
the need to bump the rate or spread the categories tax applies to disappears.

Pay the taxes YOU owe.

Last edited by MrRational; 05-13-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
uhh what? The first statement. When did this exactly start? Is that like when California changed their tax code and back taxed everyone?
It started at a different time for each state. For example, in Arizona, it started in 1955:

http://www.azdor.gov/LinkClick.aspx?...k0%3D&tabid=78
Quote:

I doubt many people know they are required by law to pay taxes on online purchases. What if I pay with bit coins? Still gotta pay taxes? This place is sure sounding like Europe with all it's taxes...
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and hope they aren't as ignorant as you imply. Sales & Use Tax is the most basic of local tax code. I would people would make an effort to learn their local laws. Arizona made it a big issue in 2011 when the state made it a point to reiterate the fact that this tax was due.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
I doubt many people know they are required by law to pay taxes on online purchases.
As is so clear so often here... many people are poorly informed.
The scary part is how many of them seem to prefer it.
---
The flip side:
You're on vacation and something happens to a suitcase or TSA throws away your toiletries.
You go somewhere to buy the new drawers, socks, shaving cream and so forth you need.
What becomes of the X% sales tax the retailer charged?

You have a right to recover some of that money.
Not all of it... just some. The increment between that amount and what YOUR state would charge (if any).
For most people the petty amount just isn't worth it. Not until you get to a bigger ticket item.

What if the lost item was $2000 worth of laptop and accessories?
What if it was really serious money like an automobile that was needed?
Check with your MVA for how they handle the credit for tax when car is bought out of state.

If online sales came with the taxes due in the state where the seller is located...
everyone would have understood the issue twenty years ago.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Sales tax is never a factor when I buy online. I shop online to compare and read reviews of the item. It also saves gas and time on things that are not sold locally. But sales tax is never a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics