Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:39 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Not necessarily...we put everyone through six months of training after hiring. We had candidates who couldn't even do simple algebra applying for programming positions. Those people need more than a little training. We would estimate six months to a year before a new employee would contribute anything of value.
well i think what your company does is becoming less and less normal. i'm not saying we don't need to invest more in our STEM education, but there's a lot of data saying that employers are just too picky now and also that employers have pushed training out to colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 PM

494 posts, read 1,917,043 times
Any laws that we frame in the USA is supposed to be for the greatest good of it's citizens not for a small few in management to make a killing... the right to work opportunities in the USA is first and foremost for Americans,

I find it Ironic that any effort to favor American workers and Indian outsourcers scream "protectionism" BUT India is the MOST protectionist country of all. India had very restrictive visa laws.,. good luck trying to get a work visa in India, it's much tougher than the US.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well i think what your company does is becoming less and less normal. i'm not saying we don't need to invest more in our STEM education, but there's a lot of data saying that employers are just too picky now and also that employers have pushed training out to colleges.
I understand what you are saying and see where you are coming from, but I don't see a lot of data saying that. I see a lot of opinions, not data. I definitely could be wrong, but my experience tells a different story. A friend of mine from grad school said he came to the US to study because he couldn't get into a good program in India. The minimum score my grad school would even consider was a 640/800 on the GMAT whereas a similarly ranked school in India required the equivalent of a 780/800 to get in. How can American workers be expected to compete in the job when people in other countries study that much harder?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:04 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
They say they are qualified and its easy to lie when you are from India about credentials. How are you gonna check? For every 15 people who say they are qualified in India you might get one.
Oh god, THIS! YES!

At a previous job I was part of the group that conducted interviews and gave technical tests. In fact, I wrote my group's technical test and we administered it to other database programmers in the company to get a feel for how they would perform on it. They aced it the first time, so I made it more challenging and got to an average of 75%. We then set the baseline expectation for an applicant at the 70-80% range. I thought this was more than fair.

Every single Indian applicant who took the test failed it. Badly.

Also, I think we were getting a skewed pool of applicants since one recruiter we worked with sent us nothing but resumes from Indians. Every last one was from an Indian. I refuse to believe that Americans weren't even submitting resumes for that position. We engaged the services of another recruiter, got a more diverse applicant pool, and actually found qualified applicants at that point.

The highest score we ever got on the test was an impressive 95%, and that was a black male applicant with an associate's degree.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:20 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying and see where you are coming from, but I don't see a lot of data saying that. I see a lot of opinions, not data. I definitely could be wrong, but my experience tells a different story. A friend of mine from grad school said he came to the US to study because he couldn't get into a good program in India. The minimum score my grad school would even consider was a 640/800 on the GMAT whereas a similarly ranked school in India required the equivalent of a 780/800 to get in. How can American workers be expected to compete in the job when people in other countries study that much harder?
Linda Mayer: Why Onshoring High-tech Manufacturing Jobs Makes Economic Sense

Three million open jobs in U.S., but who's qualified? - CBS News

see comparisons to what is done in Germany vs. here. And if it is so difficult to fill jobs, wages should go up - but that isn't happening either. these Visas are just another way to keep wages down. I'm not saying the Visas are bad...but what should be happening in a "shortage" of qualified candidates is not. That's why many of us are not truly convinced that the argument made is valid.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Linda Mayer: Why Onshoring High-tech Manufacturing Jobs Makes Economic Sense

Three million open jobs in U.S., but who's qualified? - CBS News

see comparisons to what is done in Germany vs. here. And if it is so difficult to fill jobs, wages should go up - but that isn't happening either. these Visas are just another way to keep wages down. I'm not saying the Visas are bad...but what should be happening in a "shortage" of qualified candidates is not. That's why many of us are not truly convinced that the argument made is valid.
Wages are going up for certain types of jobs. If you look at data from the BLS website (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics), you would see that software engineer's salaries have increased at 4x the rate of inflation since 2007 for American software engineers, just to pick one example.

I can't post a graph from it, as you have to use their data retrieval tool to get the information.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
you would see that software engineer's salaries have increased at 4x the rate of inflation since 2007 for American software engineers, just to pick one example.
The BLS is wrong. I am in the field and I can tell you that since 2007 salaries have declined by about 10%. Since 2000 salaries have declined by about 20% nominal, about 35-40% inflation adjusted.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:38 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
The BLS is wrong. I am in the field and I can tell you that since 2007 salaries have declined by about 10%. Since 2000 salaries have declined by about 20% nominal, about 35-40% inflation adjusted.
So you are saying in 2000 the software engineers were starting around 90-100k? Those with Master's were starting around 140-150k?

Old 05-23-2013, 02:10 PM

In LA/OC, in 2000, typical offers for someone with 10-15 years of experience was around $120k, now offers range from $85k-110k. However home prices are 3X-4X what they were in 2000, rents are over double and gas used to be $1.50/gallon and now it's over $4, so what is the inflation adjusted drop? You do the math!!

In addition, benefits have also been seriously reduced, fulltime offers are hard to come by and short term contracts seem to be more available.

Infact just yesterday I was emailed a job by a recruiter for Qualcomm, for a Sr Engineer with 10+ yrs experience, contract for 12 months, no benefits and rate was $42/hr - equivalent fulltime pay is less than $70k if you deduct for benefits and vacation time.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:28 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
In LA/OC, in 2000, typical offers for someone with 10-15 years of experience was around $120k, now offers range from $85k-110k. However home prices are 3X-4X what they were in 2000, rents are over double and gas used to be $1.50/gallon and now it's over $4, so what is the inflation adjusted drop? You do the math!!

In addition, benefits have also been seriously reduced, fulltime offers are hard to come by and short term contracts seem to be more available.

Infact just yesterday I was emailed a job by a recruiter for Qualcomm, for a Sr Engineer with 10+ yrs experience, contract for 12 months, no benefits and rate was $42/hr - equivalent fulltime pay is less than $70k if you deduct for benefits and vacation time.
My brother just got a job with a consulting firm in Baltimore making 90k. Has summer experience and a master's, perhaps the equivalent of 3-5 years. According to CNN's COL calculator that is the equivalent of 110k in OC.

Maybe it is different in other areas of the country? I wouldn't choose one city and decide that speaks for the entire field I work in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics