U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:07 PM

4,522 posts, read 11,351,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSFISH View Post
I have some minerals inherited from my father. I have not previously looked into this. There is activity on the west side of the county they are in, and from a map observed today, some may be nearer. I have googled some companies and information.

I am interested in general info, any leads or ideas.

I am new to this forum.
If your in an area slated for production the oil company will contact you for leasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,438,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well for one thng since the crash in teh 70's there are really limited rigs since them and not alot of oil mean leaft from those days. Then think why thwey are going to the expense of offshre prodcution;because production on land is really limited. Drill alor t of weells on a limited field only means it will run dry sooner.No massive fields like in the past.
Not really true. There is an entire discipline of engineering dedicated to this, so explanation would require a lot of words. I'll just say that its very complicated. As for massive fields, Haynesville, Barnett and Marcellus come to mind...

Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 AM

13 posts, read 21,318 times
Many thanks to all of you who sent info.

BassFish

PS last saturday I was true to my name, caught and released 20+ bass.
Of course all fishermen are truthful.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,259 times
My sisters and I have some of those oil and gas leases and they dont pay nothing we are paying more taxes on them then what we get in money I want to get rid of the ones I have if anyone knows of any companies wanting to please reply to [email]kurlie34@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,259 times
Default Numbers of people offeringto buy you out

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Thanks everyone! I guess I'll just keep paying taxes on it. Maybe someday it will be worth something.

I get 8 or 10 offers a year from people who want to buy the mineral rights but I'm not selling.
hey yellowsnow can you send me some of the numbers who call you wantig to buy you out Thanks

Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 AM

1,133 posts, read 3,191,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Contrary to popular belief, a big, bad oil company can not drill "horizontally*" from your neighbors property onto yours with the intention of producing your minerals without a lease from you. To do that would be inviting litigation of the highest order and of the greatest consequence.
I work in a field related to local oil & gas production and deal with detailed GIS and CAD files from well pad development. I see that well pads have "top holes" and "bottom holes" in directional drilling situtions. The bottom holes are often quite a ways away from the top holes, located underneath adjacent land parcels. I assume they are pretty careful where they locate those bottom hole points and that it is taken into consideration in the permitting process.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:30 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,438,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I work in a field related to local oil & gas production and deal with detailed GIS and CAD files from well pad development. I see that well pads have "top holes" and "bottom holes" in directional drilling situtions. The bottom holes are often quite a ways away from the top holes, located underneath adjacent land parcels. I assume they are pretty careful where they locate those bottom hole points and that it is taken into consideration in the permitting process.
The surface location and bottomhole location are also public record. If you find that someone has drilled under your property and (i) is producing minerals from your property without a lease from you or (ii) is not producing minerals from your property but has drilled through it without an easement, then that someone has exposed himself to some significant risk.

You have to be very careful about where you are going to drill, who owns the dirt and who owns the minerals or you could find yourself very broke.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 461 times
There are big fields left onshore at home too. They may not have the pressures they once had when you saw the old gushers, but that is what they actually mean when they say depletion. For many years they just blew the useless old natural gas off into the atmosphere to get rid of it. Gas pressures in a well that produces oil can cause pumps to gas lock, and no lock pumps cost today around $3500 compared to a regular old standard equipment pump at around $600. So they blew the gas off when there were no sales lines, or not enough to mess with at the low prices. This cause us to lose zone pressures at a dramatic rate before we knew better. Now we try to pump up the pressures with nitrogen injection and even re-injecting the natural gas we pull off. But there is still a massive amount of oil available. Cost on the other hand are the other massive things available. Even Diesel fuel at $3.89 a gallon is ridicules even at todays oil prices. They have jimmied them way up when they get an excuse and when that excuse is over they don't jimmie back down. Then when the new excuse comes along up they go and when the excuse goes away the price never quite goes back down nearly as much as it went up, then another excuse and so on and so on. Diesel is the least expensive fuel they produce, and dang near the highest selling price of anything they produce. We been hoodwinked and flimflammed by the big oil companies and refiners. Right now that's where a lot of investment money goes is to refining as it is almost legalized armed robbery, and only because the average Joe doesn't know any better.
This alone drives the cost in this country to drill and explore threw the roof. This is such a highly manipulated area of business and every Senators best kept little secret. they are owned by the big oil companies and "invest" ( wink, wink) in this area and get boss hog rich. These companies are reporting record, massive profits, but the fuel prices can't come down at all ???? I don't mean a little profit either BILLIONS a year, with a BIG B..
There are rigs sitting, just sitting rusting in the US because even at $100 a bbl. prices the costs are way, way out of control, intentionally. The prices are manipulated again by the companies very blatantly by just swapping oil tankers in the gulf and claiming the paid these huge prices to each other, when actually just on paper these prices are paid, on paper. All this in our own industry, cutting our own throats for record profits to stockholders in the refining areas, and many of those "investors and stockholders" your friggin Senators and Congressmen.
But, yes there are large pools and fields still with millions upon millions of barrels of oil available in the US.
yes some wells can cost millions to drill and complete. But we are still drilling and completing a lot of wells for well under $100k and in the shallow fields in some parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas ect... for $50K. So don't listen and fall for these scams this industry is so rot with, wanting you to invest these massive amounts of money and promising BS per day barrel productions. Check around in the actual areas you are investing in and ask about the companies you are thinking of investing with. Use caution.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:33 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,313,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I inherited some mineral rights in Texas. I currently have 2 pumping wells producing gas and oil. Don't get any visions of Southfork here, it's amazing how little money I actually receive. I'm trying to learn how this works and figure out how to make more money from the leases.

It's my understanding there has never been a 'dry hole' on these leases so why aren't there more wells or more companies willing to drill? With oil at almost $100 per barrel, shouldn't it be feasible to drill in the US rather than importing most of what we use?

Where would one go for expert advice on this? Any insight would be appreciated!
If there has not been any new ells for a number of eyar then those wells are likely pumping at what is a profitable arte verus cost. Wells only have a limited profitable life sapn and mnay older wells are capped because recovery is not work the cost of runigthem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or