Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 05:58 PM

4,001 posts, read 4,078,825 times

Advertisements

I work in an office that receives payments for debts. I'd like to just point out a few things.

1.) The person/company that you owe the money to does not see your check or money order. That company doesn't even receive it. People in offices - like me - receive and see your payment. Writing profanity on it does nothing - other than give those of us in the office a good chuckle.

2. We need more than your name scribbled on the money order. I can't believe how many times I've seen an unusual name, think it would be a piece of cake to find that person's file, only to see that there are several people with the same name.

3. It helps that you write legibly - on the check/money order and envelope. If we can't read one, we can only hope we can read the other.

4. Put as much information as you can on it and be sure the numbers are correct. If you are making a payment with your check for someone with a different name (let's say a married daughter), include that person's name on the payment.

5. Don't think that you are the only person with a payment going through our office.

If you are angry that you acquired this bill and now have to pay it, which inspires you to make it difficult to apply the payment (by purposely scribbling, not giving info, etc.), the payment may simply get sent back to you - making it late when you return it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 01:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,229,651 times
Why would anyone be upset with paying a bill that they owe? When you buy a car and have to make payments if it is so upsetting why buy the car? If it upsets someone to have to pay back the money they borrowed to buy a home maybe they should keep renting. I am 6 figures in debt and it does not upset me one bit to have to make the payments.

Who writes profanity on their checks? Then again who sends checks anymore? I can pay all my bills online or by calling the companies I owe. Even the city takes my money over the phone and I don't have to talk to a person for them to handle it.

Currently we have 2 debts, a house payment and a student loan payment. Our plan is to pay off both within 10 years or less. I love making the payment on these debts and can't wait to make the last payment. It sure does not get me upset to do it and not sure anyone would get upset over a debt that they signed up for.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:12 PM

4,096 posts, read 11,435,058 times
Sounds like exactly what I had to keep telling people about sending payments or letters to the IRS. You would not believe the strange things that came in to our office.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:26 AM

20,587 posts, read 19,249,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why would anyone be upset with paying a bill that they owe? When you buy a car and have to make payments if it is so upsetting why buy the car? If it upsets someone to have to pay back the money they borrowed to buy a home maybe they should keep renting. I am 6 figures in debt and it does not upset me one bit to have to make the payments.

Who writes profanity on their checks? Then again who sends checks anymore? I can pay all my bills online or by calling the companies I owe. Even the city takes my money over the phone and I don't have to talk to a person for them to handle it.

Currently we have 2 debts, a house payment and a student loan payment. Our plan is to pay off both within 10 years or less. I love making the payment on these debts and can't wait to make the last payment. It sure does not get me upset to do it and not sure anyone would get upset over a debt that they signed up for.
I think it has something to do with debt deflation making the effective debt go up. Ya know when you pay an interest rate with an assumed inflation rate and then see your wages stagnate. The nominal debt is the same bit the real rate goes up. Its the reverse of when creditors loan money with unexpected inflation. They are getting their nominal return but no real return. Of course since most of the inflation is due to debt inflation the creditor apparatus is still happy. Inflation goes through them. The only thing that could go wrong is lowering taxes or social security withholding because that would cause rising deficits which is the only thing that increases inflation without private bankers cashing in .. Must be why they have spent most of their energy convincing Americans to slit their own throats to "pay off the nation debt" with cash borrowed on credit cards.

I could see why some people might be pissed. I am on to it so I am not really pissed. I am glad other people decided to take on more debt which makes it easier to retire my debt. Debt inflation is much cheaper then having to pay charges for refinancing. Rather then pay a mortage broker his fee I can just enjoy the evaporation.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:28 AM

23,548 posts, read 70,029,022 times
"If you are angry that you acquired this bill and now have to pay it, which inspires you to make it difficult to apply the payment (by purposely scribbling, not giving info, etc.), the payment may simply get sent back to you - making it late when you return it."

Now if that had only been applied equally to the banks under the T.A.R.P. I think a lot of us would be more civil. There is a certain percentage of consumer "debt" that is illegal, but people don't know how to fight it effectively. Example in point - I received a billing from a medical provider that was an "add-on" charge without any documentation. How many people receive such statements and figure "oh, this is outrageous, but I must owe it" and then pony up the money begrudgingly? People with even passable credit ratings are fearful to lose them, especially since those ratings now affect such things as insurance rates and job security clearances. I resolved my situation by spending $6 on a certified letter, in which I demanded the documentation and all communication be IN WRITING. I'm not the type of person to write in illegible curses, but others might be, especially if the debt has been sold and they feel even more powerless.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:37 AM

17,032 posts, read 21,715,030 times
Funny how some folks kill the messenger!

Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM

4,001 posts, read 4,078,825 times
I'm not saying that banks and credit card companies are innocent angels. I'm just telling the things I see at work, that basically hold up posting the payment.

There could be a settlement that states a payment is due by the ___th of the month and if payment isn't made the deal goes back to the original balance. If a person sends a check or money order (and yes, they DO still send checks and money orders) that can't be applied for one reason (illegible penmanship) or another (one person's check paying another person's bill with no mention of the other person or account number), it's going to take longer to process - and could be sent back. Which will cause the settlement to go back to the original balance.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 AM

23,548 posts, read 70,029,022 times
And I'm not saying that a lot of people aren't jerks. Just noting that within that mix of stuff you get that some might have more legitimate cause to be upset than others.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM

20,587 posts, read 19,249,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
And I'm not saying that a lot of people aren't jerks. Just noting that within that mix of stuff you get that some might have more legitimate cause to be upset than others.
There is one poster who credibly can challenge and even refute my arguments. His handle is DSOs. He questions the notion that the middle class deserves anything more for their arrogance, hubris and ignorance.
Now if one day a Republic arises from a deserving majority with, filled with knowledge and temperance, I may one day be able to challenge him in debate. However, for now, I am lost. I believe I heard something like this in a movie once . And in that spirit , in deference to his sound argument, I chant:

"Its the only cure I know for being stupid".

Old 07-08-2013, 12:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,229,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I'm not saying that banks and credit card companies are innocent angels. I'm just telling the things I see at work, that basically hold up posting the payment.

There could be a settlement that states a payment is due by the ___th of the month and if payment isn't made the deal goes back to the original balance. If a person sends a check or money order (and yes, they DO still send checks and money orders) that can't be applied for one reason (illegible penmanship) or another (one person's check paying another person's bill with no mention of the other person or account number), it's going to take longer to process - and could be sent back. Which will cause the settlement to go back to the original balance.
You have completly lost me. I have an agreement with those that I owe money to. Lets take my house. I have to pay by the 1st of the month but the bank gives me till the 16th of the month. I actually like that. My part is to make sure that I pay it on the first but at least by the 16th. If I don't do that they will charge me a fee and I don't pay fees. What could cause the balance to change other than me paying the balance down? What settlement? Why would a lender change the terms of the deal that a borrower signs up for? Why would anyone have someone else make their payments for them? I could just see it now, I ask the next door neighbor to pay my house payment for me. I just don't see that happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics