U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:14 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,061,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I read the other day that a new study shows that up to a quarter of the homeless are veterans. SAD, that they do this service for our country and then they are thrown away like yesterdays garbage.
My guess is the other 50 percent are schizophrenic or suffer from some other type of mental illness.

greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 04:17 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,635,552 times
I can see you don't know anybody over 50. Age discrimination is rampant in this country.

Sure, he could be an alcoholic, have PTSD, or have just gotten out of jail. Then again, he could have lost everything in divorce, had an illness that wiped him out, been outsourced, or any number of other things.

I wouldn't invite him home or give him my credit card number, but giving him a job or taking him to lunch might not be a bad idea if you're so inclined.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:30 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
This could go either way. If the guy is on the up and up and telling a true story, your meeting with him and offering him a job would probably help him out. On the other hand, if he's a scam artist you might be wasting your time. I think you're safe to meet with him and find out more, but do so in a public place. If you come away with a good feeling, then take a baby step forward.

blessings....Franco

Old 11-08-2007, 05:59 PM

15,533 posts, read 35,652,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
My sign is going to read:

Will work for Botox!!!!!
Make me one of those signs too and I'll stand on the corner with ya!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:38 PM

2,408 posts, read 9,665,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
What kind of job are you thinking of offering him?
=========================================

I really do not know what type of work I would offer him, I would pay him to learn about his story. I am fascinated by people who are struggling and try to get an understanding of how a man who had it all can have fallen so far.
May I suggest that you offer yourself a job first?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/1945708-post1.html

Last edited by DanielChang; 11-08-2007 at 08:51 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 04:35 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,340,267 times
I agree.

How could you hire him? I thought you were doing temp work yourself.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:48 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,061,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
May I suggest that you offer yourself a job first?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/1945708-post1.html

I agree.

Goodtype, you may be out there with a sign yourself if you don't take a job soon... maybe you relate to this fellow on some level.

greenie

Old 11-10-2007, 02:05 PM

964 posts, read 2,562,289 times
Don't let others skepticism or scripts deter your compassion or desire to do something good for someone. Be smart, careful, etc. If you feel good about the situation -- do it!

I feel that people in need are just that -- in need. I don't look at these situations as scams, nor the people as liars, and find the "what's wrong here" so to speak. Of course they exist -- but if they were all that way, we as a society would not help anyone. I live in a world of creating possibility, a world where I can make a difference and make the world a better place -- and I do, everyday.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to even try.

Wouldn't it be great if more people brought this to life everyday.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:13 PM

26,890 posts, read 38,142,724 times
We've had organized groups here that are created with the exclusive purpose of removing money from your pocket. Well run and very profitable from what I've read. Someone will drive a van load of "homeless" around the city, dropping them off at busy intersections, leave them for the day with the signs we all see them holding, then run the route again in the evening picking them up and totaling the take.

Haven't read much about them for the last two summers so maybe they've moved on.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:38 PM

1,889 posts, read 6,987,029 times
How about....

Will work for tuition? LOL I could use that right now...

But seriously, folks.

I'd check his references because of the obvious reasons. I don't see homeless people around here often but when I do (usually in palm beach or other bigger cities) I usually think this person might have some sort of mental illness (being a danger not only to himself but to me!!). I go into 'scared, uptight' mode and lock all of my doors and roll up the windows and keep my eye on him until the light changes.

I may be biased because I work in the mental health field so I've had some frightening run-ins with clients at our agency- many of them were residents of shelters and some were formerly homeless until they found us. Also, I'm friends with many of the local law enforcement in our area so I hear stories that will make your hair curl. I'm on guard at all times but I still treat them with respect. You never know what's hiding in someone's background so check the references!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or