Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 AM

7,908 posts, read 9,110,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Basically, I think that was the intention, to bring health care to those who could not otherwise afford it. Not to bring down costs for those who already have it. If that happens it will be an happy consequence. And yeah, the subsidy helps people, particularly on the low end of the spectrum.

You have an $11,000 deductible? I never heard of such a thing. Basically, catastrophic coverage?
Premiums real low?
No, $1200 per month for family.

It is Obamacare compliant: covers 1 yearly physical, immunizations and mammogram free of charge. Fee schedule is what Emblem pays their practicioners. Coupled with an HSA.

Had quotes of over 2K per month for Empire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 AM

7,908 posts, read 9,110,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
from kaiser calculator

for 100k a silver plan is 6034.00 2 adults ..

Out of Pocket Costs

Your out-of-pocket maximum for a Silver plan (not including the premium) can be no more than $12,700. Whether you reach this maximum level will depend on the amount of health care services you use.

that is a potential of almost 19k a year in expenses for medical if i am reading this correct.

my hsa now has about 13k if i blow through all my contribution that year and the cost of insurance and then i have 100% coverage so even silver is much more.

here is 50k income -2 adults

4750 premium non smoking with 12,700 out of pocket. you could get a 1286.00tax credit if you qualify off that.

the platinum plan will cover 90% of expenses but no rates are out yet.
But is the rate quoted in Kaiser your actual rate? Because the rates I am seeing in NY's ACA plans are WAY higher, almost double.

See this is why we need to allow brokers to sell ACA. For the none to be placed in Medicaid people, this is too complicated to be properly explained by the people the govt are hiring to help fill out the forms.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:22 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,271,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
competition in some markets means nothing , all their prices are the same in many instances. high.

it amazes me how when someone changes a price they all change. there are loads of companies selling insurance in ny . have you ever gotten a decrease?
In California 90% of the health care market is divided between 2 suppliers. Not much competition.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,185,734 times
I read all 5 pages, and I still have no idea what's gonna happen!!

Old 07-19-2013, 03:38 PM

106,202 posts, read 108,168,628 times
Me too, we really have to wait until the real plans are out as rates vary by state.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:06 AM

98 posts, read 234,738 times
Plan structures have not been released yet. Only the coinsurance figures are available...90%-60% from Platinum to Bronze. Also no word if these plans will be HSA-qualified.

I publish blog updates on the ACA quite often. You're welcome to subscribe to it via RSS feed to keep up with the latest news. PM me if you want the link.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
In California 90% of the health care market is divided between 2 suppliers. Not much competition.
Did another carrier drop out of the individual market in CA? Last I heard it was down to Kaiser, Anthem BCBS, and BC of CA.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I am not fully up to speed on this issue. But, I suspect some carriers realized they could not compete against Kaiser, Anthem Blue Cross, and Blue Shield, as they are huge players in that market.

Still, unless all the insurance cos. go out of business they will have to participate in some markets somewhere. And they will have to find a way to become competitive, which is the point of the matter - competition is good!
Not unless they just decide to exit the business all together, or focus on the large group market entirely.

I get the whole competition thing believe me (look at how "fat" Empire BCBS" was/is in NY). But when California gives Anthem a state tax break over its competition (Aetna and UHC in this case), that has political corruption written all over it.

Single payer here we come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics