U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 05:46 PM

19,271 posts, read 20,147,764 times

Advertisements

Has anyone checked rates lately? No pain. A little sweat. No nasty stock market to worry about. Time to invest in a fixer-upper....then flip it when everyone is over their snit next Spring....

Graph the Trend from bankrate.com (tm):

Or, you could just join the crowd snivel and b*tch
snivel and b*tch
snivel and b*tch.
When you could be getting rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 05:51 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,684,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Has anyone checked rates lately? No pain. A little sweat. No nasty stock market to worry about. Time to invest in a fixer-upper....then flip it when everyone is over their snit next Spring....

snivel and b*tch
snivel and b*tch.
Good point.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Good point.
Hey, I'm too old to do that kind of thing now. But I did it in the past.

Someone needs to explain the concept of "sweat equity" to the depressed and depressing younger folks on this board.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:03 PM

12,620 posts, read 17,684,974 times
I wish my hubby had more interest in it and knew how to do home things. Because if you can do the work it is really rewarding when it is done. Then to be able to sell at a profit is wonderful.
Even painting, added trim work, maybe some tile and landscaping can make a huge difference in a home.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:05 PM

4,428 posts, read 5,490,894 times
Default Buy low and sell high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

snivel and b*tch
snivel and b*tch.
Not yet. I really don't care about the interest rate. It the price that counts. In my area Northeast I currently think the market could fall 15% - 25% of course this is after a Three fold increase in prices in the last decade. Look I'm not willing to catch a falling knife and I not going to over pay on an investment. 2 more years here and then........Buy, Buy , Buy!
Also I love when people away form investing in certain areas. That's why I'm sitting back and salivating over Michigan as well. That is going to be a great investment in 2 years. Pennies on the dollar in certain part there. And if you think I nuts. Great that makes it easier for me to get in when your not in my way. Buy low and sell high!

Old 11-09-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I wish my hubby had more interest in it and knew how to do home things. Because if you can do the work it is really rewarding when it is done. Then to be able to sell at a profit is wonderful.
Even painting, added trim work, maybe some tile and landscaping can make a huge difference in a home.
Bingo.

You can learn to do that stuff yourself. Just practice on a spot that doesn't show, until you're sure of yourself.

You don't have to do it all at once.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Not yet. I really don't care about the interest rate. It the price that counts. In my area Northeast I currently think the market could fall 15% - 25% of course this is after a Three fold increase in prices in the last decade.

Funny things happen when you make an offer, though. People might be bluffng. Talk to the peeps, not the realtor.

Look I'm not willing to catch a falling knife and I not going to over pay on an investment. 2 more years here and then........Buy, Buy , Buy!
Also I love when people away form investing in certain areas. That's why I'm sitting back and salivating over Michigan as well. That is going to be a great investment in 2 years. Pennies on the dollar in certain part there. And if you think I nuts. Great that makes it easier for me to get in when your not in my way. Buy low and sell high!
The five most important words in investing!

Old 11-09-2007, 06:23 PM

16,700 posts, read 18,909,509 times
Are you kidding, houses are still overinflated in prices from $50-100k typical and the interest rates are not all that great relative to what they should be. Homes at the 12% interest rate were barely worth 100k on average and now they are 300k+ which would mean interest rates should be 1/3 which is 4%.... its 5-6% right now... which means it has a ways to go in both price and interest rate to be fully equalized... what is needed is buyers to stop buying until the greedy banks stop overcharging and sellers getting realistic about their prices...

Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,611,090 times
The market is not uniformly bad. Generally, for sure. Hwever, entry level housing is still doing pretty well (at least here in Mpls.). The younger people trying to buy don't need to sell a house. There are better geographic areas also. So if you buy the right priced preperty in the right area, you are still OK.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:12 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,319 times
Now could be a good time to pick up a foreclosure house as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics