U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,640,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
What is "luck" anyway? It's nothing more than life chances, which apply to EVERYONE. Nobody has better luck than someone else. Born to a rich family? That's life. Born to a parent that values hard work? That's life. Born to Honey Boo Boo's mother? That's life.

Hard work and dedication don't necessarily pay off. Of course not. You have to work productively, not hard. I have a coworker that works and works and works. Every minute he's doing something. Sadly, none of it is productive at all. He's just spinning wheels. And what little he does is a massive screw-up and ends up needing to be redone. On the surface, he's a hard worker. But he will never be productive. Same with everyone.

Just saw a news report about the guy that started Amazon. He worked hard his whole life, but it was so much more than that. He worked smart. He took risks. He anticipated the market. He was a need and filled it.

Why do you not know this?

exactly
hard work is just one aspect of becoming successful
if i move a 100 pound rock from one side of my living room to the other 18 hours a day I've worked extremely hard and done nothing productive.

Two people can have the same job with one working much harder than the other where the harder working one is useless because they screw up everything they does and the one who doesn't work as hard is extremely productive because they are intelligent and efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:21 AM

9,284 posts, read 2,963,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
exactly
hard work is just one aspect of becoming successful
if i move a 100 pound rock from one side of my living room to the other 18 hours a day I've worked extremely hard and done nothing productive.

Two people can have the same job with one working much harder than the other where the harder working one is useless because they screw up everything they does and the one who doesn't work as hard is extremely productive because they are intelligent and efficient.
Very true. I happen to be a fast worker. I'm organized and have good attention to detail. I get tasks done very quickly. Which means I have a lot of down time, compared to others that look busy, but manage to finish nothing. Luckily, my boss sees the reality, and I am compensated for it. Sadly, not all do.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:06 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,516,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Very true. I happen to be a fast worker. I'm organized and have good attention to detail. I get tasks done very quickly. Which means I have a lot of down time, compared to others that look busy, but manage to finish nothing. Luckily, my boss sees the reality, and I am compensated for it. Sadly, not all do.
Not financial compensation, but there's more to life than money. Some people have an inner satisfaction from knowing they are the most efficient and best worker in the place. They do quality quickly because something pushes them from inside.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM

8,151 posts, read 6,587,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
You cannot afford anything you you like, even though you work harder than most and deserve more!

Being poor is like a vicious cycle, it's extremley hard to get out of, despite what people say.
So, just exactly why do you deserve more than anyone else? I'd like to know what is special about you.

What have you done about qualifying yourself for a better paying job or for understanding how the economy works so you can get out there and increase your income?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:17 PM

9,284 posts, read 2,963,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, just exactly why do you deserve more than anyone else? I'd like to know what is special about you.

What have you done about qualifying yourself for a better paying job or for understanding how the economy works so you can get out there and increase your income?
I guess the mentality is what we deserve for giving trophies for just "trying". It's all well and good to try. But unless trying leads to succeeding, you really don't deserve that trophy.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not financial compensation, but there's more to life than money. Some people have an inner satisfaction from knowing they are the most efficient and best worker in the place. They do quality quickly because something pushes them from inside.
absolutely true.

I cant fix anything. I could spend 24 hours 7 days a week trying to fix something complicated that my brother would be able to fix in an hour and never get it right.If we were both mechanics I would have worked a lot harder but I would be worth absolutely nothing. He would be quite valuable.

Many people who make low wages are great at saying they should make more money,but they almost never tell you why.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:01 PM

5,547 posts, read 10,479,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Times have changed making it harder, far more difficult, for a person to start up a business where they perhaps can make decent money without a degree (or with one in too many cases) in engineering or other "demand" field. Part of the problem is government regulation and legal entanglements. Some of it is due to rigorous licensing requirements or self protection rules by people already in a trade. In my area, for many years we had a couple of brothers whose business involved pumping septic tanks, replacing drain fields etc. Not a crowded field as you might imagine but they were incredibly reliable, honest (not ripping off widows and elderly). However, they were both almost illiterate with their wives handling the business end. Along came the government and came up with a test you had to pass in order to be in the business. Basically the exam involved "digging in the dirt". Neither could pass because they could not read well enough to prepare never mind to read the exam itself. The government was picking winners and losers and it is more acute today. They finally had to rearrange their business structure to take on a "partner" who could pass the exam and they could operate under that license. Yes, yes, there are perils with digging: natural gas lines, other utilities, etc. But these men could have easily been put out of business. I tend to believe that pulling oneself up by their own shoe strings is largely a thing of the past.
Case in point: My mother-in-law got in on the ground floor of respiratory therapy in the 70's. If she had any specialized schooling, I did not know about it. Today you can't walk into the ground floor of almost anything without specialized schooling.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:09 PM

the world is constantly changing.
in the 70s some hundred year old blacksmith might complain if he started out in the 1970s instead of the 1890s he would never be able to have been a successful blacksmith. sure if would be harder today to get into your mother in laws field,but tons of fields are available now that didn't exist back then.crying about it doesnt help someone get a good job.

my grandfather is now 85 and worked for the same life insurance company for about 45 years straight out of high school. today they never would have hired him with just a hs diploma. that's no reason for me to feel sorry for myself and not even try.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:17 PM

1,924 posts, read 880,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box101 View Post
LOL that picture of the keyboard warrior in his mother's basement pretty much sums it up. Remember he is an economist that can't make even the most basic of forecasts, a restaurant owner earning tens of millions of dollars, runs a couple of charities on the side, doesn't pay his own bills, and spends at least a couple hours a day belittling people on this forum.
No, it's foolish thoughts and ideas that are belittled. You've a wealth of those, by the way.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:29 PM

3,871 posts, read 2,383,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
absolutely true.

I cant fix anything. I could spend 24 hours 7 days a week trying to fix something complicated that my brother would be able to fix in an hour and never get it right.If we were both mechanics I would have worked a lot harder but I would be worth absolutely nothing. He would be quite valuable.

Many people who make low wages are great at saying they should make more money,but they almost never tell you why.
This reminds me of the recent fast food strikes. These workers are now demanding $15/an hour.
This shows that they don't realize most of the business would have to close if they all got $15 an hour.

Also there are many college graduates making $15 an hour or less.

I really don't like the idea of "hard work' , we all have the same hours in the day.

If hard work paid off , all the people working part time in fast food would be rich.

Hard work does not pay off... smart work pays off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics