Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:42 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

They may as well close this thread ,it has run it course and is finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 06:47 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
I agree that the confines are the most delightful ball park in the land. I've been there dozens of times. And to Murphy's, the Sports Corner, Harry's, the Cubby Bear, and Sluggers. Right field sucks! by the way.

And I understand that you feel a need to be dismissive. Like the Cubs, you can only put the players you have into the lineup.
I agree with your first sentence. Ironically, my friend is an owner of one of the bars/restaurants you listed, which has supported my conclusion that the restaurant business is one of the least desirable markets to be in. Like the Cubs, I focus on long-term valuation, not short-term thinking.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:08 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why not? There is a clear presumption in this forum that everyone is exactly the same, with the same intellect, the same economic acumen, the same management skills to start your own business, the same greed, the same bootstraps, the same bad luck that needs to be overcome with the same amount of effort, and are distinguished only by their "responsibility" for their own care and feeding.

That the only difference between me and Bill Gates or Sam Walton is that nobody gave me a kick in the pants, and for that reason I deserve to wallow in my poverty and misery..
So we should all pile into one of the two extreme ends of the spectrum to spite a few posters on the other side? I personally believe that you're always better off making an effort and doing what you can to better your situation. However, I don't think that just anyone can become rich by pulling themselves up. I'm not sure that's what others were saying either. Would you agree that some people in the rich and lower classes are lazy and entitled? Would you say some people in the rich and lower classes are hard working and smart? I would say yes to both.

This conversation got old a long time ago because a few posters are staking out on far ends of the spectrum. It would be more interesting to discuss how people in varying segments of the middle and lower class, under specific scenarios, could work their way to $1M. Perhaps that would be a little less intellectual than all this theoretical discussion and arguing, but it would at least have a foundation.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:56 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They may as well close this thread ,it has run it course and is finished.
You should go out to Wrigley sometime. Sit in the left-field bleachers. Get some brats and some beers. Ponder the deeper meaning of the Cubs' latest loss, then hit the bars of Wrigleyville after the game. It'll make a whole new man of you.

Last edited by oaktonite; 08-13-2013 at 10:21 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I agree with your first sentence. Ironically, my friend is an owner of one of the bars/restaurants you listed, which has supported my conclusion that the restaurant business is one of the least desirable markets to be in.
We actually target a somewhat more upscale clientelle than any of the establishments in Wrigleyville. They aren't apt to pee all over the neighborhood for instance.

Quote:
Like the Cubs, I focus on long-term valuation, not short-term thinking.
Since 1908 would be well more than "long-term". The cows have come home many, many times already since then. Even some of the goats.

Last edited by oaktonite; 08-13-2013 at 10:23 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
This conversation got old a long time ago because a few posters are staking out on far ends of the spectrum.
BY making categorical statements that lack any basis beyond self-serving, mean-spirited emotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
It would be more interesting to discuss how people in varying segments of the middle and lower class, under specific scenarios, could work their way to $1M. Perhaps that would be a little less intellectual than all this theoretical discussion and arguing, but it would at least have a foundation.
I'm sure the über-wealthy DeVos family would want Amway pointed to as one red-blooded all-American ways up the economic ladder. Perhaps Blackwater as well which they also control. Of course for every person who succeeds in either of those enterprises, a lot don't or don't live to tell about it.

And the intent of no public or private charity is to turn poor people into rich people. The intent of many is to turn people who cannot support themselves into people who can.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
I prefer a day at our beautiful friendly confines to any other park, despite the score.
And there's this: St Louis Cardinals Team Valuation = $716 M, Chicago Cubs Team Valuation = $1,000+ M (source: Forbes)
Fans at Wrigley Field get their money's worth. There is always a bottom of the ninth.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:26 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
We actually target a somewhat more upscale clientelle than any of the establishments in Wrigleyville. They aren't apt to pee all over the neighborhood for instance.
You have to understand that oakie's restaurant is near Washington, D.C., where the clientele pee on each other.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:46 PM

125 posts, read 167,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
You have to understand that oakie's restaurant is near Washington, D.C., where the clientele pee on each other.

DC makes for an amusing vacation when you seek to meet with a few politicians, have a few drinks, and slip them a few million to do your bidding for you. I am fortunate now where I am to be able to pay people do to this bidding for me, in order to avoid the congestion in DC altogether. Which restaurant is it? I will be sure to recommend my personal assistants dine there with our politicians, if I do not decide to purchase it myself. I currently own 9 and would like a 10th for a nice symmetrical number.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
OK, let's suppose that everybody is going to have a million dollars in saved assets when they reach 65. There are probably, round number, 100-million households that do not now expect to become millionaires, and their average shortfall is a half a million. That is $50-trillion is saving that will have to be found somewhere, to go into the kitties of all those who are currently too personally and fiscally irresponsible to save up that money, but lets say we kick them in the pants until they do save it. Did I say $50-trillion? Where will that come from? Well, they will just have to spend $50 trillion less, and save it instead.

Nice. A $50-trillion reduction in consumption. But everyone will still be able to keep their present jobs, salting away all that income, with a $50 trillion reduction in the purchase of goods and services that they produce in exchange for wages. Not all at once, it pays out at a trillion dollars a year in lost productivity, for the next half a century. Isn't economics interesting, when things that are so wonderful economically never have any adverse consequences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics