Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times

Advertisements

I will switch from private ($744/mo) insurance to Medicare ($110/mo).
Socialized medicine here I come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 09:35 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I'm ready for my health insurance to be subsidized! Can't make enough money to pay for it myself and still have over 10 years before I can retire to get it through Medicare.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:50 PM

573 posts, read 1,049,611 times
I'm going to have to get a second job so i can pay. Obama did this for all the lazy blacks who don't want to work. This may benefit the poor white people too but I know that he specifically did this for blacks . I'm far from rich and I work fifty hours a week to support my family and now I will have to work an additional 10 hours a week to support these ungrateful little bums who have all the oppurtunity but no motivation.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Yes;my company adopted the mandates in ACA year ago October. Its meant many changes and higher cost overall to company and especially dependent coverage cost for employees. New hires who retire before 65 and when they get Medicare are effected the most.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
I'm going to have to get a second job so i can pay. Obama did this for all the lazy blacks who don't want to work. This may benefit the poor white people too but I know that he specifically did this for blacks . I'm far from rich and I work fifty hours a week to support my family and now I will have to work an additional 10 hours a week to support these ungrateful little bums who have all the oppurtunity but no motivation.
I, quite frankly, can't believe you actually posted this racist tripe.

Well, at least it might benefit the 'poor white people' too so that can ease your mind.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I guess it must just be me that hasn't heard one damn thing from my employer-based health insurance.

Hmmmm.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:00 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No, actually, I get my insurance from the federal government. I hope it doesn't hurt your feelings too badly if I decline to post my financial papers on the internet.
It is not my feelings that are hurt, only your credibility. Easy enough to edit out all personal info and prove the documents exist.

Last edited by shaker281; 08-26-2013 at 11:13 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I guess it must just be me that hasn't heard one damn thing from my employer-based health insurance.

Hmmmm.
No, not just you.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
My insurance company has informed me that my current policy will no longer be available next year and the closest replacement that meets the government standards will be more expensive but have not set rates yet.

My sister that works part-time and does not get or want coverage from her employer has been informed her hours are being cut from 35 to 28 because of the law.

A friend and his former partner has spent the last year splitting their business from one entity of 114 employees to two companies each with less than fifty employees... many employees have been informed that they will be retained only as contract workers.

And now my neighbor who works for UPS has been informed that his wife will have to get a separate policy from the state exchange.

All this to insure some people but the painting contractor I spoke to this morning says most of his employees won't sign up for coverage... as far as they are concerned health care is free and they just go to the emergency room when sick or injured.

The unintended consequences of this law seem pretty severe.
Employers have been raising and passing on the costs of health care to employees for 2 decades. Can we attribute that to the absence of Obamacare? There is a lot more to health care then showing up at the ER when injured.

The ER only has to treat "emergency medical conditions". Seems immoral to do otherwise.
An emergency medical condition is defined as "a condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity (including severe pain) such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in placing the individual's health [or the health of an unborn child] in serious jeopardy, serious impairment to bodily functions, or serious dysfunction of bodily organs."

Signed into law by none other than President Ronald Reagan, the EMTALA (Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act) was part and parcel of the 1986 Omnibus bill known as COBRA.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
...but IMHO those businesses just had a convenient excuse to cut costs and increase profit. If it wasn't the ACA, it would have been something else. They are just using this as a convenient excuse. Anymore most businesses don't give a rat's behind about the employees...
Agree! And businesses have been doing this for many years. This is just a good excuse to avoid taking responsibility for their decisions and choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics