Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:50 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,739,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
You can afford anything you you like, even though you don't work than most and deserve less!
You think rich people work LESS than most? Is that what you're saying? In most cases it is quite the opposite, as I know from a lifetime of living in wealthy areas (and having a hard-working wealthy father myself). How do you think they got that money - sitting around and praying for it?

Of course, there are exceptions... like those who inherited it, or "got lucky" somehow. But you can trust me when I say those are EXCEPTIONS, as opposed to the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 PM

30,856 posts, read 36,754,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
You can afford anything you you like, even though you don't work than most and deserve less!

Being rich is like a vicious cycle, it's extremley hard to get out of, despite what people say.
[/quote]

Troll alert. Don't feed the troll, folks.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:56 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,363,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Or for those that are not lazy it requires that you stop making poor decisions.
Poor people are ALL lazy in the minds of The Bootstrappers. Laziness is one of their defining characteristics. It's all nonsense of course, but so is everything else that constitutes the mindset.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:58 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,739,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
There are some people that see rich people and think "They must of screwed over a lot of people to gain that wealth"
but that attitude is almost as bad as looking at a poor person and viewing them as a lazy person with no ambitions.

Many people with wealth today were also once poor or just getting by.
Exactly. For every Bernie Madoff there are thousands of HONEST rich people who worked very hard for their money, and it's just as unfair to stereotype them as it is to stereotype the poor. Having been on both sides of this fence in my lifetime, I can see it from all perspectives - and as I said above, the Madoffs are more the exception than the rule. For the record, my father is entirely self-made, and grew up in a very poor family. He didn't step on toes to make it, he just worked hard in school and life, and had a few lucky breaks (like perfect timing on job opportunities) along the way.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:31 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,710,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Two guys want to better themselves economically, call them Artie and Paul. Both have access to the same building blocks, which are provided by others: the internet, the highway system, an educated population to sell to, and so forth. So they both start small businesses. Paul isn't too bright, and he doesn't work very hard, so his enterprise fails even though he talks a good game. On the other hand, Artie, who is both smarter than Paul and works harder than Paul, succeeds, and his business flourishes.

Both had access to the same building blocks, provided by others, and available to everyone. Paul failed, and Artie succeeded. The increment above the building blocks is the part that Artie built by himself, without any help from anybody.

Artie claims success all on his own, somewhat inappropriately. Paul, who is a nihilist, a born loser, and a classic case of the sour-grapes know-it-all says to Artie "yeah -- look at all the people who helped you, and besides, you were just lucky and you mostly cheated anyway."

Let's not overlook the fact that being born with a high IQ and raised in an environment where effort is rewarded are significant advantages not everyone is fortunate enough to have.

How about that star athlete who is physically born a perfect specimen and his talents are nurtured his whole life? No amount of hard work by the guy with coke-bottle glasses and one leg shorter than the other will make him a NFL quarterback. Now suppose his IQ is around 105 and his single parent was a crack addict. Should we feel good that we succeeded when he didn't?

I applaud those who don't waste their advantages, but I recognize that good fortune has played a big factor.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:16 AM

329 posts, read 458,498 times
You don't need to work to be rich. You can if you want, but you don't have to.
If you work you lose more than if you don't work.

Shocking but it s true!

Many guys all around the world become rich by doing nothing. less you do more money you make.

I know plenty of guys who lost all their money by working or trying to build their own business. Most collapses in a few months and lost their money. I know guys who become billions by joining a Chinese politic party and running a little business in China.

You can Make lot of money if you are smart enough. First thing is to stop drug, alcohol and cigarettes. Then living cheap for a few years. You will see money coming. Stop buying gadgets and invest instead in stock and bonds.

Learn a little about compound interests. Save all you can every month and you will retire rich.... Or richer.

Anyone can be a Steve Jobs, or a Kindle CEO.
I even know a black guy totally nut in Chicago who became a president.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:41 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,363,212 times
And it's good to be the best doctor, because then you can give everybody castices with stickers on them.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:06 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,299,197 times
I can always count on some amusing threads when I visit this subforum. Keep up the good work fellas

Old 08-09-2013, 03:34 PM

329 posts, read 458,498 times
" if it sucks being rich, why you don't give money to others...? "

If I give money to others, I become poor and it sucks being poor...

Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,197,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You think rich people work LESS than most? Is that what you're saying? In most cases it is quite the opposite, as I know from a lifetime of living in wealthy areas (and having a hard-working wealthy father myself). How do you think they got that money - sitting around and praying for it?

Of course, there are exceptions... like those who inherited it, or "got lucky" somehow. But you can trust me when I say those are EXCEPTIONS, as opposed to the rule.
I also find it funny that people think the wealthy work less than the poor. I know lots of wealthy that work 60 or more hours a week. I know one guy that puts in maybe 90 hours a week building his business. Also the wealthy work longer in years as well. I recently read an article on some business owners and others that are in their later years and still working. The CEO for Dole is 90 and still working.

One of the surest ways to wealth is to spend less than you make. Lets say that you have a job that pays your bills and living exspenses, a second job could be had that would build wealth. What I am saying is that even the poor can participate in wealth building. Maybe they don't have all the resources as the wealthy but they could work hard to get some of those resources. No one is keeping them from working harder and longer in life.

Just today I was talking to a woman. She moved here with her husband from the Philipines. They have been here for 9 years. They came late in life, with their kids allready grown. She works 2 jobs. He works all the overtime he can. They had little when they got here but now have a home of their own. No other debt and they are saving money and investing for the future. This is an example of the poor not having to stay in that position. You can move up, infact for most that is the only direction they have. It takes dicipline though and many do not have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics