Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:01 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,332 times

Advertisements

I pass a street corner nearly every day and there is a man who walks up and down the median with a sign that says WILL WORK FOR FOOD. I was waiting at the light for a long time and rolled down the window and talked to the man. He was incredibly well spoken and quite average looking. He told me he was unemployed and not able to get a job because he was overqualified for most jobs and being over 50 facing age discrimination. He was in the corporate world until a few years ago when his job was outsourced and could not find anything since. He said that he could make more money walking the median and doing odd jobs, than anything else he could find.

I am thinking of offering him a job. Or maybe I will invite him to lunch and find out how such a well spoken average looking person could get in his situation in the most successful country in the world. I would invite along a friend. What do you think?

Last edited by goodtype; 11-08-2007 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:09 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I pass a street corner nearly every day and there is a man who walks up and down the median with a sign that says WILL WORK FOR FOOD. I was waiting at the light for a long time and rolled down the window and talked to the man. He was incredibly well spoken and quite average looking. He told me he was unemployed and not able to get a job because he was overqualified for most jobs and being over 50 facing age discrimination. He was in the corporate world until a few years ago when his job was outsourced and could not find anything since. He said that he could make more money walking the medium and doing odd jobs, than anything else he could find.

I am thinking of offering him a job. Or maybe I will invite him to lunch and find out how such a well spoken average looking person could get in his situation in the most successful country in the world. I would invite along a friend. What do you think?
I'm skeptical when it comes to this sort of thing. Just knowing of some of the characters I've come across in my relatively short lifetime I would be cautious with this person. I know people who have made a conscious decision to be homeless and jobless as there are plenty of ways to live that way today... kind of off the grid but at the same time collecting foodstamps, obtaining free food and clothes and room and board. What you've described just doesn't sit right with my intuition. You're either talking about someone who has made a conscious decision to live the way they live (and one scenario is a dangerous one where he is looking to take advantage of someone willing to offer help) or you're talking about someone with a real mental handicap which makes it so they have little choice. Both of those situations just don't seem like ones you ought to get involved with.

But all that said, if you feel the urge to help out in any way... even if just to buy the person a meal and sit with them for a while, then by all means, go for it - I just recommend being somewhat cautious about where you take it from there.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:20 AM

781 posts, read 3,816,326 times
Quote:
I pass a street corner nearly every day and there is a man who walks up and down the median with a sign that says WILL WORK FOR FOOD. I was waiting at the light for a long time and rolled down the window and talked to the man. He was incredibly well spoken and quite average looking. He told me he was unemployed and not able to get a job because he was overqualified for most jobs and being over 50 facing age discrimination. He was in the corporate world until a few years ago when his job was outsourced and could not find anything since. He said that he could make more money walking the medium and doing odd jobs, than anything else he could find.

There is no harm in inviting him for lunch. It could be a great experience and you could possibly just change his life. I would also caution you about taking it further......just be careful. If, indeed, you have a good feeling about him and want to help, I would just take it slow and not involve too much of your personal life....just in case. Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
I pass a street corner nearly every day and there is a man who walks up and down the median with a sign that says WILL WORK FOR FOOD. I was waiting at the light for a long time and rolled down the window and talked to the man. He was incredibly well spoken and quite average looking. He told me he was unemployed and not able to get a job because he was overqualified for most jobs and being over 50 facing age discrimination. He was in the corporate world until a few years ago when his job was outsourced and could not find anything since. He said that he could make more money walking the median and doing odd jobs, than anything else he could find.

If he is who he says he is, he should have a resume. Then you could validate his work history and contact his references.

What kind of job are you thinking of offering him?

Old 11-08-2007, 12:40 PM

238 posts, read 1,144,332 times
=========================================

I really do not know what type of work I would offer him, I would pay him to learn about his story. I am fascinated by people who are struggling and try to get an understanding of how a man who had it all can have fallen so far.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 PM

781 posts, read 3,816,326 times
Quote:
=========================================

I really do not know what type of work I would offer him, I would pay him to learn about his story. I am fascinated by people who are struggling and try to get an understanding of how a man who had it all can have fallen so far.
I totally agree.....it is fascinating to find out what happened to place someone in the situation they are in. As I posted before....we never know if something we do can change a life....something as simple as a helping hand can make the difference for generations to come.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:

been there done that. some will work a lil but not much, some won't work at all. some with be morally outraged that you would insinuate that they should.
i can stand anyplace and put up any sign that does not mean anything.
kind of like in a bar, wow thats great that you paint, i think we should get to know each other better.
uhuh.
i been there been right thru it.
thats my story and im stickin to it.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:30 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times
My sign is going to read:

Will work for Botox!!!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 01:43 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I read the other day that a new study shows that up to a quarter of the homeless are veterans. SAD, that they do this service for our country and then they are thrown away like yesterdays garbage.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Quote:

Yes, good idea. definitely, hire him. Invite him into your home and befriend him. Introduce him to your family and friends. See how long it takes you to figure out the real reason he is standing out on the street corner asking for change....

greenie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics