Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:10 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,233 times

Advertisements

I decided to start a particular conversation in this manner so that I might start with common ground we all may share.

So when someone says "The MARKET should decide" what exactly is meant by that? Who decides? What is the reason for deciding?

Let me toss an example. The internet. In 1969 was there a "market" demand for the internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 04:48 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
So when someone says "The MARKET should decide" what exactly is meant by that?
Look up Adam Smith

Old 08-13-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Look up Adam Smith
My experience is that most people who spout on about Adam Smith have never studied Wealth of Nations.

My question is directed at those whose only knowledge of "markets" is what they have read on right wing blog sites.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:21 AM

53 posts, read 118,594 times
Ive always considered two definitions:

Equity markets: Institutional and retail investors looking to efficiently allocate money

The consumer market: The buying public

Your first example seems to reference my latter.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:45 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
My experience is that most people who spout on about Adam Smith have never studied Wealth of Nations.

My question is directed at those whose only knowledge of "markets" is what they have read on right wing blog sites.
That has been my observation as well. The best definition of a modern conservative requires three things:

1. They revere Adam Smith.
2. They detest John Maynard Keynes.
3. They have read the works and theories of neither of these men.

I suppose the 4th is that they assume I must default into a liberal who loves welfare and identity politics because I am not one of them...

Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
My experience is that..
My question is directed at...
Stop playing games. If you have a point (or an agenda) then lay it out.

But when you start with such insipid freshman level questions...
don't expect much in the way of meaningful responses.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:12 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:

That isn't a "freshman" question, and you are the one who decided to play the "go read this" dismissive response like one uses a 5 iron from the bag of tricks. In this very forum one asks "when will the Chinese real estate bubble be realized?" When there is a shift of buying power to those who do not value it, aka what is "the market"?

Is there a market for bottled water among thirsty slaves? When will the value of the better water be realized?

I would suggest you leave since you by your own admission have nothing to add.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:

Ah.... the old "what is your agenda?" question. Spoken like the true right wing ideologue.

My agenda is to have an intelligent conversation regarding the nature of markets. And maybe even to inspire intelligent people to re-examine their premises.

But just for fun, let me lay out an example for you. The internet. Where was the consumer demand? Where was the free market in the creation of this service?

Old 08-14-2013, 01:58 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
That has been my observation as well. The best definition of a modern conservative requires three things:

1. They revere Adam Smith.
2. They detest John Maynard Keynes.
3. They have read the works and theories of neither of these men.

I suppose the 4th is that they assume I must default into a liberal who loves welfare and identity politics because I am not one of them...
So if you revere Smith and Keynes and have read their respective work, what does that make you?

Old 08-14-2013, 02:10 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:

So when someone says "The MARKET should decide" what exactly is meant by that? Who decides? What is the reason for deciding?.......................

So, you are hoping that someone will distill an entire semester of university level economics into 25 words or less, for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics