Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 AM

304 posts, read 471,963 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if the one per-centers have anyway to make money other than from the labor of the working class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
What?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,582,697 times
Its called investing. Most of the one per-centers make their money with capitol gains income

Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
A big part of the 1% earn their money from ideas. A lot of those ideas provide work for those that have no idea. Take even WalMart. That first store was an idea that grew into a lot of stores and a lot of jobs. Microsoft was an idea that grew into an industry that changed the world. I bet that you use plenty of ideas in your life that helped plenty of people make a good income so that they could support their families. And yes the owners of those ideas made a lot of money from the idea. Why is that a bad thing? Plenty of other ideas to go around. The world is not done supporting sound ideas that make a few money and provide a means to support the lifestyle of the many.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
Just wondering if the one per-centers have anyway(sic) to make money other than from the labor of the working class?
You mean, provide them jobs?

I made my money with stocks and real estate. Sure, I hired people, tradesmen, property managers, lawyers, accountants, and had used the services of stocks brokers and real estate brokers. Am I the bad guy? Or are you insinuating I couldn't have done it without their help?

Every time I traded a stock, there was someone else on the other side of that trade. If it worked out favorable for me, did I cheat the other side? On my losses, I never felt that I was cheated.

I worked many years as a computer programmer. I never felt that I was being exploited by someone wishing to get rich off my labor. I loved having a job. I provided a service in exchange for cash. I freely entered into this agreement and it likely worked out better for both sides. By the way, I didn't attend college and no one inspired me.

Every time I hire someone, it is to do a specific task. I don't hold a gun to their head but they all seem eager to trade their services for my money. Next time, I will ask them if they feel exploited.

Do something constructive with your life rather than regurgitate Elizabeth Warren's diatribe.

Gotta run, my gardeners are here, I have to tell them to get the **** out of here lest it be thought I am taking advantage of their labor

Last edited by jw2; 08-20-2013 at 11:10 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,557,249 times
jw2, so why do you sound like as if you DO feel uneasy, not quite at peace with the way you made money? As your response sounds like you have a little worm eating you from the inside, little voice of conscience, then covered with rhetoric.

Microsoft "idea"? They took from many, and re-sold THEIR ideas. They did very little, outside of putting other's ideas together and "selling" them.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Taking an idea from someone else and making it better, and marketing it better is another way to make money. In this case, 99,000 people worldwide are making a decent living thanks to that, nearly 60,000 here in the US.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:12 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
Sports, acting, music, television host, winning the lottery, book writing, inventing, investing, self-employment, politics, etc.

I can think of a lot of ways.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Ways to make money from an idea:

I have an idea that will work. I take that idea to those with money and say what do you think of this idea? Here is my business plan, what do you think? If those with money like the idea they invest in it. The idea person had money and the potential, only the potential for making money. If the idea was well executed then that person makes money and:

The investor (s) make money as well. They were the people that got the idea off the ground by putting their own money into play. This is money that they could of lost if the idea turned sour. But for this exercise lets say that the idea was a great one and they hit a home run with the investment. Lucky for them. Why should they not be compensated.

The business investment will allow for the need to hire staff. These people will give of their time to get the idea off the ground. Many of them because this is a start up may be offered equity in the company or the option to buy said equity at a great price. If things work well they will not only have a job but a position in the company.

As the business grows others will be hired that may not be offered equity but will have a job within the organization making money in the form of income.

That is the way I see any great idea that works out. Each step of the way individuals are compensated for the part that they play. Some will make a lot and many will make some. Still everyone wins. For those that are employees and would like a better pay out, well the world can always use new well executed ideas to start this process over again.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
You mean, provide them jobs?

I made my money with stocks and real estate. Sure, I hired people, tradesmen, property managers, lawyers, accountants, and had used the services of stocks brokers and real estate brokers. Am I the bad guy? Or are you insinuating I couldn't have done it without their help?

Every time I traded a stock, there was someone else on the other side of that trade. If it worked out favorable for me, did I cheat the other side? On my losses, I never felt that I was cheated.

I worked many years as a computer programmer. I never felt that I was being exploited by someone wishing to get rich off my labor. I loved having a job. I provided a service in exchange for cash. I freely entered into this agreement and it likely worked out better for both sides. By the way, I didn't attend college and no one inspired me.

Every time I hire someone, it is to do a specific task. I don't hold a gun to their head but they all seem eager to trade their services for my money. Next time, I will ask them if they feel exploited.

Do something constructive with your life rather than regurgitate Elizabeth Warren's diatribe.

Gotta run, my gardeners are here, I have to tell them to get the **** out of here lest it be thought I am taking advantage of their labor
You had me agreeing with you wholeheartedly until you brought Ms.Warren into the fray. I agree with her assessment of the big recession that we went through, the changes made in legislation from business pressures that set the stage for the fall - and the lack of accountability of many of those who instigated it.

Our markets do require some regulation. A totally free market gives very little opportunity to grow a strong middle class. The rich will often get richer and the middle class becomes poorer. I feel that a strong middle class and mobility between the classes is best, even necessary for a democracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics