Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:39 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Things will go up and things will go down. People have been using U-6 over and over as a last ditch attempt to say the economy is not improving after every other measure is showing that it is. Frankly a conclusion is something that should come from evidence, not something that stays static while people scrabble constantly for evidence to support it. I know this banging on U-6 has been pointed out to you before, and you seem to have not listened. Doom and gloomers have been looking for evidence of total economic collapse, or a never improving economy, since the 1960's...while the economy did its thing.

It declines in tandem with U-3, and while no measure is perfect it just displays a different picture.

Quite frankly if you are worried about being chronically unemployed you should put more effort into things. You seem to bounce around from bar tending, to finance, to whatever is the easiest degree to get in business school, and now a professional coder that doesn't require a degree at all. No one knows what you want to do any more than you, and most employers aren't interested in some one that's going to jet for the horizon every year or if things get tough. The economy is tough for those who are just starting out, and remaining unfocused and lazy isn't helping you.
And the U6 is a much better measure of unemployment than U3. U3 doesn't take into account the people who have given up looking for work or those who can only find part time work but want to work full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 01:40 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
Idle. The word is idle. Unless you're Buddha. Then, you could argue that idol was appropriate.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Economies go up, economies go down. It is a never ending cycle, and should not be a surprise to anyone.

Clever people figure out a way to make money in a down cycle. They then have a different way to make money in an up cycle.

One thing that has been proven multiple times to not work in a down cycle is to sit around drinking wine by the bottle and waiting for someone to come and knock on your door and offer you a high paying job.

Actually, thinking about it further, that doesn't work well in an up cycle, either.
And that isn't what I am doing either, smart one. After I complete my move in two weeks you can bet I will be searching until dawn till dusk for employment. Right now, I am focusing on the last pieces of my CPC certification.

And watching a movie with a bottle of wine is a rather pleasant thing to do. You should try it sometime.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Idle. The word is idle. Unless you're Buddha. Then, you could argue that idol was appropriate.
Thank you. lol.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM

621 posts, read 658,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
After my bottle of wine this evening, I began to have a heavy heart about our economy. Everyone, we have been in a rut for at least the past six years. Do you all really think things will ever get good again? I am so sad because I feel like so much of my life has been absorbed by this ruthless recession and economy. I am 25 years old. As an adult, I have truly never seen good economic times. I have a bachelors degree in Business Management and all I did after graduation was sit idol in unemployment. I threw my applications into a black hole it seemed. I finally found a job and have been there for the past year but I just left two Friday's ago because I need to move to a new state. Will I be chronically unemployed again? Next week, I take my CPC certification exam but what is the point? Will it really make my life better? Lets be honest, it won't. Why try to improve yourself in a world that is so broken?

Portal Seven | U6 Unemployment Rate
The long term trend in growth as measured in GDP % gain per capita per year is about 1.8% post WWII the best fit is 2.0% The Great depression didn't represent a deviation from the long term trend line. For the post WWII economic boom to not represent a deviation then we need a very bad economy for a very long time. Get use to it.

There are some things that we can be doing to make the pain less and shorter. If you want to talk about it.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:09 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
I don't sit idle, thank you. Every day of my life I dedicate some or most of my time to better myself. Today, as I have been nearly every day I will spend hours studying for my CPC certification. I look forward to being done with it next week as it has been a long tough year working full time and studying for it during the evenings.

And I LOVE wine. Don't tell me I can't have any. You seemed to have missed the whole point of my post which was to talk about if the economy will ever get better. This topic is NOT about ME.
Then why did you write: "All I did after graduation was sit idol (sic)"? What exactly did you mean by this? If the topic is not about YOU, then why so many sentences about all the woes in your life?

I LOVE wine also, but I don't drink an entire bottle and then go create "woe-is-me" threads. I was hoping that was your wine talking, but maybe not. Your attitude sounds self-defeating - complaining about the economy and waiting for something to happen to you. Life is tough for many, suck it up (not the wine). You are not owed anything.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Unfocused and lazy my ASS! How much a jerk can you be? I graduated college, have five years of work experience and continued my education to become a CPC while working full time for the past year and you call me lazy? Go to HELL JACKASS!
Well said.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Then why did you write: "All I did after graduation was sit idol (sic)"? What exactly did you mean by this? If the topic is not about YOU, then why so many sentences about all the woes in your life?

I LOVE wine also, but I don't drink an entire bottle and then go create "woe-is-me" threads. I was hoping that was your wine talking, but maybe not. Your attitude sounds self-defeating - complaining about the economy and waiting for something to happen to you. Life is tough for many, suck it up (not the wine). You are not owed anything.
That piece isn't accurate, though I do see now that I put it in my original post. I had send out hundreds upon hundreds of resumes after graduating back in 2011. Finally I got a bite and I held that job for a whole year. I just left two weeks ago because I am in desperate need of personal changes. I really liked the job though.

With my credentials and extroverted personality I think I am more than equipped to find full time employment. You think that people with degrees and certifications shouldn't feel entitled to full time work?

And this is isn't a woe-is-me thread. This is a woe-is-the-economy thread. Millions are suffering and have been for over six years.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
If you take the amount paid out for unemployment and the unemployment rate divide one by the other then the rate use to correlate nicely. Then after 2007 they start to diverge. Something like a 50% divergence at the peek. Now we are having a new bubble. I hate bubbles all they do is pop.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
And this is isn't a woe-is-me thread. This is a woe-is-the-economy thread. Millions are suffering and have been for over six years.
And they will for the foreseeable future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics