Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:46 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,529 times

Advertisements

Normally an individual has paid taxes on the money that they spent to purchase the the things you inherit, so why should Uncle Sam benefit by the death of your loved one and charge you a tax for what they left you. If it's a financial windfall then you should be taxed when you withdrawal the money same as if it was 401K or an IRA but no additional taxes should be incurred because of the death. IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 05:12 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Buffet's among the biggest hypocrites of all time.

He's made a lot of his money on being able to purchase family owned businesses that were forced to divest due to the death taxes on an estate, and bought companies that were seriously in dire financial straits as a result at very favorable prices because he was a capable buyer.

His wealth has accumulated to a point where he could give away 90+% of his assets and still be a very very wealthy man, well able to maintain his lifestyle.

His $30 billion donation to the Gates Foundation is another sham deal re taxation ... it's just a way for him to shelter a lot of his money.

But for the rest of us ... it's a problem when we cannot afford to buy into such exemption situations. I know that my farm will not be exempt from death taxes upon my passing ... and my heirs, under current tax laws, will be forced to sell it to pay the taxes on it.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:52 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,603 times
The gift and estate tax is a voluntary tax. There is plenty you can do it about, other than complaining about how unfair it is. By mere ownership changes, the majority of estate tax exposure for about 95% of the population gets eliminated. Knowing the way things work around here, I would think that most people would seek advice on that here, on this BB.

The gift tax system is a companion of the income tax system -- it "keeps the income tax system honest" so to speak. It also performs similar functions with regard to the estate tax systems.

As far as scams, farce, or anything else you want to call it -- Buffett giving wealth to the Gates Foundation does avoid having the wealth subject to estate taxes -- however, it avoids estate taxes because he is giving it away. He is not sheltering it -- he is giving it away. Don't tell me how the kids can get money from salaries, compensation, benefits, perks, etc. They could do that anyway with .$50 on the dollar money -- not anywhere near the amount in charitable money.

Buffett and Gates (specifically Gates' father who was at the forefront) have long supported the estate/transfer tax system. This is nothing new.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:57 AM

188 posts, read 989,282 times
I think the estate tax is unfair and it needs to be reconfigured.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:21 AM

711 posts, read 1,856,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Buffet's among the biggest hypocrites of all time.

He's made a lot of his money on being able to purchase family owned businesses that were forced to divest due to the death taxes on an estate, and bought companies that were seriously in dire financial straits as a result at very favorable prices because he was a capable buyer.
Don't forget Buffet's second hypocrisy: Berkshire Hathaway's biggest investments are in insurance companies, who make a mint selling life insurance to business owners who are forced to buy it in order to pay estate taxes.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:50 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
The real impact of the death tax is on small business and farms where big taxes are due upon the death of the owner. Family and employees are often severely affected when these enterprises to be sold to cover taxes. My only close experience is with a neighbor who inherited a small truck service company and was forced to sell to cover taxes... the new owner consolidated operations into an existing company and all 19 employees were released with little compensation and no pension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics