U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:25 PM

2,378 posts, read 4,342,346 times

Advertisements

The health exchanges are websites where you can compare insurance plans and buy / modify insurance. They are supposed to start in Oct.

Are there other advantages of them? I have read the articles on it. What's the idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 03:54 PM

1,934 posts, read 2,728,262 times
The California one is up and running if you want to plug in different information and see what the differences in the plans are. I'm assuming the idea is that's where you go to purchase your mandatory insurance.

Get Covered | Covered California™

Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
They are emant to offer pools that defer risk by the makeup of pool like all pools. That is young who pay more than they use and older who use more than they pay. Some are subsidized others not unlike most pools where all are subsidized by employer. If you need high subsidy your referred to medicaid at certain income level.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:46 PM

26,837 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Health exchanges - effect on the average person
What's the idea?
The idea is that the "average" person, that is the average person who isn't over 65 or a veteran
or active duty or the dependents of active duty or a veteran or so poor as to qualify for medicaid or one
of dwindling few with a decent employer plan... might actually be able to "pool" with others like themselves
to bargain with the ever growing behemoth known as "the health care provider industry" that no one in
Congress has had the nerve to actually do anything about.

It'll be 10 years before we know what the outcome really is but I don't hold much hope.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:09 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,036,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
The health exchanges are websites where you can compare insurance plans and buy / modify insurance. They are supposed to start in Oct.

Are there other advantages of them? I have read the articles on it. What's the idea?
For me, very few. Looking at the plans through California's exchange, for similar coverage my premiums will be going up by 50%. There's a few difference. Annual checkup will cost less, drugs will cost less. Not enough to make up for it.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:01 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,276,263 times
In 2 weeks we should have a different 'exchange' for each state. Then we can all plug in the numbers and compare premiums/plans.

How many states already posted their info...fewer than 10 is my guess.

I think some states will have different rates because they split their pools by county. FL is like that, per news articles that I read. Some counties have more plans to choose from than others. FL's is done by the feds and isn't available yet. I wonder if all the exchanges that are being done by the feds will be released on the same day? I think the feds are doing the exchanges for half the states, or close to that.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:12 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,276,263 times
To me, the advantage of ObamaCare is that it allows someone to retire prior to age 65 and have to ability to obtain health insurance. And no worry about futurere 'what if' illnesses/diseases that would cause all health insurance carriers to turn you down. Wouldn't it be awful to be at the prime of your life and you are on an individual health plan (not through work) and suddenly you get leukemia at 58 and your insurer cancels you and then no other carrier will accept you because the leukemia is a pre-existing condition. So you are stuck with no insurance even though you have the money to buy it. Even though you had insurance for your entire life before that. But they cancel your policy because you got sick. ObamaCare solves this because you cannot be cancelled for getting sick and you cannot be charged higher rates when you get sick and you cannot be denied coverage. Maybe you will never get sick/diseases anyway. But IF you do, you will always have the ability to get coverage.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:22 PM

1,934 posts, read 2,728,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
To me, the advantage of ObamaCare is that it allows someone to retire prior to age 65 and have to ability to obtain health insurance. And no worry about futurere 'what if' illnesses/diseases that would cause all health insurance carriers to turn you down. Wouldn't it be awful to be at the prime of your life and you are on an individual health plan (not through work) and suddenly you get leukemia at 58 and your insurer cancels you and then no other carrier will accept you because the leukemia is a pre-existing condition. So you are stuck with no insurance even though you have the money to buy it. Even though you had insurance for your entire life before that. But they cancel your policy because you got sick. ObamaCare solves this because you cannot be cancelled for getting sick and you cannot be charged higher rates when you get sick and you cannot be denied coverage. Maybe you will never get sick/diseases anyway. But IF you do, you will always have the ability to get coverage.
Yes, it's wonderful that someone can get $500,000 or more of lengthy treatment and still pay the same price for their insurance. But the money to pay for that won't come out of thin air. If enough people that are super healthy and never go to the doctor don't sign up to make that "pool" happen, then everybody's rates will have to go up.

We'll have to look at this again in 2015 when it's been in force a full year and the insurance companies have got the figures to see what it's really costing.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:45 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,230,141 times
The poor in Florida will not be getting subsidies, so I see the uninsured situation only getting worse. Obamacare kills even more of the small players in the industry, leaving the big fish to devour all. Medicine and law are the only areas where price fixing and fraud go unpunished if you are a "big fish". If not got Big Government limiting the market, medicine would have gotten cheaper due to technology.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,866,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The poor in Florida will not be getting subsidies, so I see the uninsured situation only getting worse. Obamacare kills even more of the small players in the industry, leaving the big fish to devour all. Medicine and law are the only areas where price fixing and fraud go unpunished if you are a "big fish". If not got Big Government limiting the market, medicine would have gotten cheaper due to technology.
You can blame Republicans for that. They care nothing for the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or