U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 PM

294 posts, read 489,088 times

Advertisements

I don't think they want pity. I think there should be some admiration and respect for people who sacrifice so much of the lives in order to help others. Their twenties were spent studying and working and all the while racking up debt. Sure, they could've gone to public schools, but are there enough public schools for all the medical students? What I see is a couple who has worked harder and sacrificed more than a lot of people in this country to pursue a noble profession that is not as lucrative as some think. How old will they be when they start saving? Is it really that easy to pay off all the debt in 10 years? On average a pediatrician makes low 100's. Her husband will make in the 200's. Of course, there are exceptions but 500-800k is grossly overexaggerated. And dont forget, we live in a litigious society and malpractice insurance will surely get some of their earnings. The doctors who did exceptionally well financially are those who started practicing in the 80's, not now. HMO's and health insurance companies get most of the profit at the expense of doctors and patients. Most of the doctors I know still have student loans and live modest lives, and most of the multimillionaires I know are those working in finance who started earning six figures in their twenties with little if any student loans .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 09:37 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,349,575 times
I read the story as well and maybe when their big grinning smiles dissappear then real stress will have set in. They will in their careers recoup and be in the black which is not the case for so many others.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,269,988 times
That's what happens when the Government controls access to a profession. The length of medical school and insane residency programs are a disgrace. The escalating costs of college would not exist without Government subsidies and student loan programs from financial institutions. In my mind it seems like someone could learn to be a medical practitioner without a decade of schooling and a six figure debt. This nonsense drives up the cost of medical care for everyone. Working those med students for long hours just increases accidents and deaths in hospitals. Thank Government regulations for the current medical system.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:19 PM

355 posts, read 2,461,180 times
I recently read an article that being a physician is no longer an attractive occupation anymore because of all the malpractice claims and all the other things doctors have to worry about. I also have a hard time seeing why doctors have to go through medical school for all those years. I hear that most of the stuff that is learned in medical school is actually not useful when the finally become a doctor anyway. And also, I hear that about a third of medical students will faint during their residency or while they are in medical school because of all the stress. That's bad. I think the salary of doctors should be raised much more. If it were up to me, pediatricians would make at least $275,000. The cost of medical school should really go down as well.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:43 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,011,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
That's what happens when the Government controls access to a profession. The length of medical school and insane residency programs are a disgrace. The escalating costs of college would not exist without Government subsidies and student loan programs from financial institutions. In my mind it seems like someone could learn to be a medical practitioner without a decade of schooling and a six figure debt. This nonsense drives up the cost of medical care for everyone. Working those med students for long hours just increases accidents and deaths in hospitals. Thank Government regulations for the current medical system.
As a possible medical student I disagree with this. Federal regulations arrre pushing residency houurs down to 80 last I heard. The competitiion to get the best position is what drives the hours up. Last I checked the rising cost of college was due to governement cuts on private education funding in order to give tax cuts to the wealthy and fund the wars.

Are you a doctor? As an EMT and someone finishing up the premed curriculum I believe there is so much scientific knowledge that must be learned about the body in order to think like a doctor (diagnose then fix the appropriate problem). Then the timee to develop the skills set, knowing what to look for, what to listen for. Especially with the degree of perfection expected by modern American society.

I'm betting that most off the people that you would truly want being your doctor (the kind that aren't just in it for the money)would be happy if they could have a decent sized house and not be overworked if they aren't in huge debt and under constant fear of lawsuit. Here's a deal I'd go for.

Education and basic living expenses covered provided I keep a 3.5 GPA in med school, and malpractice insurance. I'll then work very cheap (like 50k a year). I'm in it to help people not get rich.

If you did something like that you could have a huge pool of people who want to be doctors for the right reasons and then you could educate them and have a wonderfully large pool of medical professionals so people could get the care they need.

I don't blame doctors for wanting high pay now though. If the system hammers them for 10+ years, then its gonna take a lot to get back to square one so they might as well get a lot of money. Thats the free market way.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,011,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomegranate View Post
Or, they could have received a government loan write-off for working for a couple of years in an underserved area, like a reservation or remote rural area. My father did this by working in Algeria and then Kenya after getting his MD (he was a Belgian citizen at the time, and there was some sort of political connection...), and my brother-in-law's wife did this by working in a small town on the upper peninsula of Michigan. Of course, she thought THAT was a hardship (hah!) and bought her way out of it after a year. Still, much cheaper. I don't see a lot of doctors willing to do that type of thing any more, though. Anyone know one who does house calls, for instance? My grandfather lived in Concord, NH and did tons of them, and had his practice on the first floor of his house. Those were the days when insurance was simpler, I guess. He didn't die rich, but apparently the church wasn't big enough to hold the crowd for his funeral. Other ways to be rich than that fancy collector guitar, hunh?
Thats what I want to do, we'll see if I get in though. It's be nice to work somewhere rural and help people that neeed someone out there.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:34 AM

69,372 posts, read 53,685,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
The could have gone to an in State medical school for $9K a year and left college with less than $100K in debt. They financed everything and did not work as much as they should. No pity.
I have been put hundreds of thousands into debt simply when I started my own business.. Had my business failed, I would have been stuck with huge debts, without an education to pay for it (as I'm not a college graudate).

We all make choices for debt and I have no sympathy for someone who voluntarily signs up for loans for $500K and lives off credit cards.

I will however have sympathy for them if national healthcare comes into play because it will surely consist of some type of limited income restrictions, making it more difficult to pay.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,269,988 times
I had actually considered studying medicine, but the ridiculous requirements for education put an end to that. Became an engineer instead. A friend is a doctor and has educated me on the failings of the system. The Government requires the schooling and therefore is responsible for the current system. Forcing someone to join an association like the AMA is just wrong, it should always be voluntary. Realistically how much of what was studied in med school is remembered? In today's world of computers and the internet, it is a lot easier to research medical problems, and could bring some medicine to the realm of do-it-yourself diagnosis. I would like to see the study of medicine become more enjoyable, and independant thinking encouraged. Anyone with an interest to become a medical practitioner should be able to be tested for aptitude early, and selected candidates given the path to training and employment without personal cost. More advanced study would demand additional expense, but in my mind there is no reason why a family doctor would need to go through the hell asked of students now, when they could participate in a more "fast track" program and begin employment while learning the trade. We need more doctors who actually care about their patients and are not under the stress of making ends meet.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:07 PM

201 posts, read 832,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
I also have a hard time seeing why doctors have to go through medical school for all those years. I hear that most of the stuff that is learned in medical school is actually not useful when the finally become a doctor anyway.

This is true amongst almost any profession that has an educational degree as a prerequisite. Usually the goal of the programs is to give you an overall grasp of everything that you could possibly come across or pursue. Then when you graduate, or pursue a more specialized education, you apply just those portions to whatever route you go.

I imagine everything they teach you in medical school can be applied somewhere, no matter how unpopular it is on graduation.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:12 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,143,410 times
I am glad my doctor went through a ton of school and training. I don't think I would be comfortable with someone who was "fast-tracked" in order to save a few bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or