U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 08:08 AM

663 posts, read 2,387,953 times

Advertisements

$4 lattes may be seen as an affordable luxury during an economic downturn. Electronics, travel, vehicles, recreational vehicles, high end merchandise - now those may have a problem.

Starbuck's ad campaign will likely be a waste of money. 1) Starbucks is already a well-known brand which spread originally through word of mouth. 2) Starbucks doesn't have any new offerings or innovations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 03:29 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,173,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
they deserve to be in trouble.
I second that for a different reason. Granted, a proposition was passed here banning smoking within 20 feet of the doors of businesses, but Starbucks has large enough patios and yet banned smoking on all of them on their own. I'm not setting foot there again. I thought it was overpriced before, but didn't have an issue with it as I enjoyed it. Supporting discrimination is not in my plans, though.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:09 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,043,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
The American public is an interesting animal. We will moan and groan about the rising cost of gas yet we stand (not all) panting at the nearest Starbucks for that $4 latte.

When I want a cup of coffee, I want a really superb cup of coffee so I generally brew my own. Btw Starbucks is just starting their first ad campaign.
Oil and gas execs must be the easiest targets in the country. Would politicans be able to function right if they didn't have "greedy oil companies" and high gas prices to battle with?

With Starbucks, it's no secret, they'll end up like pretty much every other large corporation. They mature and plateau...just like Woolworth's, Sears, GM, IBM, Walmart, etc.

Or even worst...Xerox, Polaroid, United Steel. They dont stay hot forever.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:10 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,400,212 times
Starbucks should probably consider why they are losing customers. Sure, it's budget busting for some and so they stop, but for me it was the inconsistency with the coffee. I'd order the same thing every time (Cafe Latte or Pumpkin Spice Latte) and every time it tasted different. Then they started just pouring coffee in a cup and giving it a shot of flavoring and called it "done" when that's not even how it's supposed to be made. It's too expensive to buy when you don't know if what you are going to get is even drinkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or