Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:40 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,140 times

Advertisements

The government is a major economic player, and when you take the government out of the equation, you reduce demand.

When you have less people working and less people spending, this depresses the economy. It is pretty simple, but then again RW don't play by the rules of reason, they make them up. They think that less people working and less people spending, stimulates the economy.

Right wingers believe that if you take demand out of an economy lacking demand, then demand will increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Why do people keeps saying how much the shutdown costed us, rather than saved us money?

The govt didn't pay most fed employees and the parks were closed. Why does that amount to a cost and not a savings?
If people are not paid then they cannot spend. If they cannot spend, economic activity declines.

And regarding the multiplier effect, if I usually go out for a meal and spend $50, that creates a lot more than $50 in economic activity.
  • I spend $50
    The resteraunt pays its bills with that money (perhaps $30)
    The wait staff buy gas on the way home, using their wage earned by serving me ($5 for arguments sake)
That basic $50 in spending resulted, very quickly, in $85 in economic activity.

Now imagine I didn't get paid my $50 to begin with - that hurt the economy by a lot more than $50

Old 10-18-2013, 11:39 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
The people who depend on the tourists around the parks made no money.
Those tourist still had/have money so in the end there were other business' or people who made money. That tourist money didn't just vanish in thin air.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Because, instead of paying a skeleton staff to keep national parks open, police were paid to patrol the parks and arrest anybody who sneaked in (to land that they, as the public, own). In a police state, arresting prosecuting and imprisoning people is always the highest priority, above any other public considerations, and the means to do that can always be found, no matter what else has to be sacrificed.

http://www.infowars.com/armed-ranger...ational-parks/

(I don't consider Alex Jones to be most authoritative source, but I have no reason to believe that the above is not essentially true.)

Last edited by jtur88; 10-19-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 10-19-2013, 09:38 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
They got an extra 2 weeks paid vacation and no work being done. The IRS collected no funds. The parks took in no revenue. The people who depend on the tourists around the parks made no money. Do you understand now?

-----------"IRS collected no funds "........

Was no Federal Income tax with held from pay checks during the shutdown ?

Get real !

Old 10-19-2013, 10:51 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Those tourist still had/have money so in the end there were other business' or people who made money. That tourist money didn't just vanish in thin air.
Of course it all depends on what the tourists do with their unspent money. The economies affected short term are mainly the local and state around said tourist attraction. And that is money lost. Now whether that same potential money is subsequently spent elsewhere is another question.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
The government is a major economic player, and when you take the government out of the equation, you reduce demand.

When you have less people working and less people spending, this depresses the economy. It is pretty simple, but then again RW don't play by the rules of reason, they make them up. They think that less people working and less people spending, stimulates the economy.

Right wingers believe that if you take demand out of an economy lacking demand, then demand will increase.

It has to fall back on the right, correct?

Read the constitution and realize what due process is. The POTUS made up new rules and the lib controlled senate backed him. However, the senate does not represent we, the people of the USA. The house of representatives is that faction of government and they were doing what they were voted into office to do. If any serves but a single term they did more for their constituents than a senator did in 30 years of planting his/her fat AZZ in a seat.
So much for your analysis of the role of government. I would love to see more such gems in another thread.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:58 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Why do people keeps saying how much the shutdown costed us, rather than saved us money?

The govt didn't pay most fed employees and the parks were closed. Why does that amount to a cost and not a savings?
Simple put, politician love the Keynesian crap: Keynes said, there is a spending multiplier, for example: if government spend $1, the economy will generate $3 in activity. Therefore, if government spend $1 less, it will withdraw $3 activity from the economy.

So that's why you have a government that keep on spending. Because if they don't spend, we don't get to eat.

I remembered Peter Schiff's analogy that is use between a producing country (China) and a consuming country (US). Peter said, US think if we don't consuming, the Chinese would have no jobs.

So put that in prospective, if other countries don't continue lead US the money to spend on their goods, the people in other countries will not have a job, they will lost their purpose.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:11 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
How most people look at the economy:

Person goes to store and spends $3 on bread and eats it

How I look at the economy:

some people grow plants and harvest them
its put on a truck
It goes to a bakery.
they bake it into bread
someone drives a truck to bring bread to store
some person comes in and eat it.

So what happens if $3 is still paid at the store while everything that goes into making bread is shut down and there is no bread?

Bread savings?
In order to make this analogy work, you would have to come up with what the gov't produces that we were unable to buy during that period. All I can think of is jobs, which we will pay for anyway even tho the non-essential workers stayed home, and weaponry, which I am sure continued to be produced.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:38 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
In order to make this analogy work, you would have to come up with what the gov't produces that we were unable to buy during that period. All I can think of is jobs, which we will pay for anyway even tho the non-essential workers stayed home, and weaponry, which I am sure continued to be produced.
Yours is more of a supply side view. The shut down resulted in economic losses mainly from reduction on the demand side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics