U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:18 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,130,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I read a little bit on demographics when I can find something. Its interesting that the natural assumption is that declines in population are always bad. I don't think governments like them because it means fewer taxpayers. I don't think business likes it because it means fewer customers. But I guess there are some advantages to a declining population. Less need to use up natural resources. No need to build a lot more schools, homes, roads etc. I know Japan is going through this, and certain intellectuals are upset about it, but I'm not sure the common folks are. The more I think about it though, I don't see a problem with a shrinking population. Anyone want to set me straight.
Not bad or good really ;its a matter of can the declining population deal with larger aging population.Its not just from boomers which is temporary but population that lives to age that they are naturally less productive.One has to realize that much of our lifestyle is based on production of a huge boomer population. In future its more likely to be based on more from smaller number or lifestyle drops.Less room for slackers for want of a better word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 12:20 PM

26,894 posts, read 57,997,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
More people (should) mean more consumers and this (should) mean more demands and sales.
And at various times it was even generally true... but it can only work when some number in excess
of 80% are employed and earning enough to pay more in taxes than they will consume.
That is absolutely NOT the case currently and hasn't been for some time.

Quote:
Where I live we could use more people.
I bet when you used that term "use"... you had some unstated expectations in mind; right?
Things like personal responsibility, useful job skills, competence, education generally, health... Close?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:27 PM

8,301 posts, read 3,466,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And at various times it was even generally true... but it can only work when some number in excess of 80% are employed and earning enough to pay more in taxes than they will consume.
That is absolutely NOT the case currently and hasn't been for some time.
This is very dependent on your locale. And of course on who moving to that locale. Our community relies on retirement and CA boaters. They are all welcome here, and to move here. They are all good business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I bet when you used that term "use"... you had some unstated expectations in mind; right? Things like personal responsibility, useful job skills, competence, education generally, health... Close?
Again, locale dependent. Some of our largest local businesses are health care related. So keep 'em coming!

Interestingly enough we live in our nations least educated, 5th poorest and one of our most conservative areas.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:00 PM

13,467 posts, read 15,072,372 times
Quote:
I read a little bit on demographics when I can find something. Its interesting that the natural assumption is that declines in population are always bad. I don't think governments like them because it means fewer taxpayers. I don't think business likes it because it means fewer customers. But I guess there are some advantages to a declining population. Less need to use up natural resources. No need to build a lot more schools, homes, roads etc. I know Japan is going through this, and certain intellectuals are upset about it, but I'm not sure the common folks are. The more I think about it though, I don't see a problem with a shrinking population. Anyone want to set me straight.
Depends. If you're a Nordic economy that isn't massively in debt and saves for retirement... no. For a country like the US, yes. We're basically a Ponzi scheme economy. The boomers never really saved much money for retirement. The got pensions from companies that weren't funded that will be paid for by profits made by the company in the future. Basically, the operate like social security. So if you go from 10 productive workers for each retiree to 4 productive workers for each retiree (combination of living longer, less labor participation, and a dwindling population) basically the public and private retirement systems here collapse.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:08 PM

26,894 posts, read 57,997,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Our community relies on retirement and CA boaters.
So you recognize that you're area is an outlier to the examples being discussed?

Outside of this mecca of yours with all sorts of income from outside sources
(iow the real world) people are expected to work and earn the money needed.

I hope that clarifies the points.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:55 PM

8,301 posts, read 3,466,952 times
Ours is an atypical mecca secondary its location. But historically our local economy has always been a good reflection of the country. Been here 33 years now and never knew we were so poor!

Editorial: Poverty list considered wrong skyline - Kingman Daily Miner - Kingman, Arizona

Old 11-16-2013, 04:15 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,308,504 times
There are SEVEN BILLION PEOPLE and growing!!!!
We have doubled the population since the 70's.

We have surpassed our own ability to sustain this kind of growth. Feral cat style breeding is the root of pretty much every problem we suffer currently, in varying degrees.

C'mon people! Spay and neuter your human!

Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM

6,361 posts, read 7,344,952 times
Quote:
The more I think about it though, I don't see a problem with a shrinking population.
We need to face facts: there are too many people on this planet already. The question that really needs to be asked, however, is: will we be better off with more people? In terms of natural resources and natural habitat the answer is clearly "NO".

Countries which have acheived a stable population are ones which embrace women's rights, have higher education levels and an overall higher quality of life. The countries exhibiting the highest population growth have just the opposite.

We are also seeing the largest mass extinction of species on this planet since the days of the dinosaurs. Oceans are over-fished; agricultural production is declining in many areas. Every increase in population puts greater stress upon the natural systems which sustain life--for all creation and for humanity. In fact, the root of all environmental problems is overpopulation.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:10 PM

20,184 posts, read 34,537,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I am one that believes you can have a declining population and still thrive.

A pretty good example is Pittsburgh. Their population has declined, but they have been ranked a great place to live on many levels.

I always thought the fascination with growth was a bit insane
Agreed, Pittsburgh is a prime example.

I have a strong understanding of demographics and demography and what is fascinating right now is the geographic differences in the age structure of the population between states as well as the differential of growth coming mostly from births outpacing deaths compared to in-migration of new residents.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:14 PM

20,184 posts, read 34,537,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
There are SEVEN BILLION PEOPLE and growing!!!!
We have doubled the population since the 70's.

We have surpassed our own ability to sustain this kind of growth. Feral cat style breeding is the root of pretty much every problem we suffer currently, in varying degrees.

C'mon people! Spay and neuter your human!
look at the quickfacts census website state by state population age structure breakdown. That is some interesting general level info regarding the diverging demographic trends in different regions of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or