Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Please don't distort and exaggerate what I said.
You certainly implied it.

The fact is, many attorneys do personal injury not as their primary income source, it's just something on the side to supplement the main part of their practice, a windfall profit from a personal injury case would probably be like winning the lottery in terms of statistical probability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 02:57 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
You certainly implied it.

The fact is, many attorneys do personal injury not as their primary income source, it's just something on the side to supplement the main part of their practice, a windfall profit from a personal injury case would probably be like winning the lottery in terms of statistical probability.
What are you even talking about? There are entire law firms that specialize in personal injury law.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:59 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
What are you even talking about? There are entire law firms that specialize in personal injury law.
I know there are law firms that specialize in personal injury, what's your point?

Old 11-21-2013, 04:16 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Quote:
Please don't distort and exaggerate what I said.
You stated windfall.

Thank goodness we have you to police the profession and determine the fee structure.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:36 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Good grief, where did you get the idea there are windfall profits on every case?
Many people seem to rely on the Stereotype® app. I believe it's a free download at loopy.net.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:22 PM

286 posts, read 450,342 times
I don't see how they sleep at night when they defend rapist, murderers, or killers when they know in their heart the person is guilty.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSaySheSay View Post
I don't see how they sleep at night when they defend rapist, murderers, or killers when they know in their heart the person is guilty.
They sleep quite well knowing that even you don't want to live in a country where the state can throw you in jail without having to bother proving the charges against you despite your lambasting their role in protecting your civil liberties.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:22 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
I think that is an unfair criticism. Everyone is entitled to a defense against prosecution; and to say that lawyers should be castigated for serving in that role belies the fact that neither you nor I sit in judgment of the accused. (This was rather starkly shown in the recent Zimmerman case; for whether he was guilty as charged was not a matter of public opinion, but of evidence adduced at trial.)

Old 11-22-2013, 06:30 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSaySheSay View Post
Perhaps, if you ever read the Constitution and took notice where it says in the Sixth Amendment that a person has a constitutional right to counsel, you might understand a little better what lawyers do.

I know it is a popular sentiment among some to say "how can lawyers sleep, blah blab, blah...". However, maybe if you lived in a police state where government told you when to wake up, when to brush your teeth, and when to go to bed you might understand that this amorphous concept of "freedom" actually means something.

I don't expect people with your opinion will ever go away. What I wish is that those who live in America would at least take just a few minutes and read the Bill of Rights that is attached to our Constitution. These are rights that are apply to everyone. You don't get to pick and choose who gets them and who doesn't. That's what makes them rights.

Honestly, when I hear questions like these, I wonder if they have simply stopped teaching Civics in the public schools. Maybe all the kids are day dreaming about sex when the teacher covers these issues?

Last edited by markg91359; 11-22-2013 at 07:27 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Perhaps, if you ever read the Constitution and took notice where it says in the Sixth Amendment that a person has a constitutional right to counsel, you might understand a little better what lawyers do.

I know it is a popular sentiment among some to say "how can lawyers sleep, blah blab, blah...". However, maybe if you lived in a police state where government told you when to wake up, when to brush your teeth, and when to go to bed you might understand that this amorphous concept of "freedom" actually means something.

I don't expect people with your opinion will ever go away. What I wish is that those who live in America would at least take just a few minutes and read the Bill of Rights that is attached to our Constitution. These are rights that are apply to everyone. You don't get to pick and choose who gets them and who doesn't. That's what makes them rights.

Honestly, when I hear questions like these, I wonder if they have simply stopped teaching Civics in the public schools. Maybe all the kids are day dreaming about sex when the teacher covers these issues?
Do people have a constitutional right to be over-billed by lawyers? To have legal clerks and assistants order out pizza and other food and assign the bill to some client without the slightest justification? All of which has happened on frequent occasion in at least one law firm in Boston according to someone I knew who worked there, and innumerable anecdotes over the years from other firms?

The topic here is ethics, not the right of lawyers to practice law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics