Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 02:03 PM

215 posts, read 297,269 times

Advertisements

I am donating toys again to a local branch of a reputable national non profit. Hopefully the toys won't be stolen because I spent over $15 for each toy.

Do kids even appreciate toys other than video games? I usually buy something that requires some creativity and effort in art work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 02:29 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Well, you can hope. I am a big fan of creative toys.

Confessed with a bit of sadness, I volunteer at the food bank and those who are "hungry" are darn fussy about what they will accept. Apparently, they believe they only deserve the best and can't be bothered to actually do any cooking.

You can't really give video games without knowing what sort of console a child has. Also said with some sadness, I suggest that you donate things that can not be sold by the parents to obtain drugs.

I think that art supplies are good. Especially things like sidewalk chalk that a child can't use to place permanent graffiti onto walls. Remember, most low income people are in rented units and landlords do not appreciate drawings on the walls.

In a cold climate, things like warm hats and mud boots with high value cartoon characters on them would probably be well enough received, if the charity doing the collecting will accept that sort of item.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:24 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I only give cash to organizations that I know are reputable. I don't do the shopping anymore unless I know someone personally. I think many people would be shocked if they knew how "their" toy was really received. Sometimes I think things I buy go from one (gift) barrel to another (garbage) barrel....with just cash from my pocket being the only real action involved.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:32 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
My experience is that kids play with a new toy for a few minutes then they throw it into the toy heap and resume play with sticks and stones, discarded cardboard boxes, random stuff lying around, etc. In other words, using their own creativity and imagination. The only toys I can remember playing with on a regular basis were Matchbox cars and Legos.

Video games are too addictive. I would not give them to a kid unless I wanted them to die from obesity and a heart attack at 30.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:30 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Yeah, cardboard boxes and wrapping paper rolls were some of my favorites. We did get those oldschool hobby horses one year which were awesome. My first bicycle was another one I remember, but that's a little big as far as donating goes.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:24 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
I am donating toys again to a local branch of a reputable national non profit. Hopefully the toys won't be stolen because I spent over $15 for each toy.

Do kids even appreciate toys other than video games? I usually buy something that requires some creativity and effort in art work.
thank you for your charitable contribution. i was a poor lad growing up and i remember one or two christmas holidays i was taken to get some toys from santa, my parents could only afford so much...although they did have enough for small gifts. at that age we had video games, but the board game i received was quite fun, and the following year i received an electronic football game, they were both fun and put a smile on my face. when you dont have much, especially when you are a kid and there is virtually zero way to help mom and dad financially you appreciate anything and everything. the cool part was the second time around when i was there to receive a gift (i believe this was at a local church) the giftee was there and i had a chance to thank them.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:01 PM

526 posts, read 898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Confessed with a bit of sadness, I volunteer at the food bank and those who are "hungry" are darn fussy about what they will accept. Apparently, they believe they only deserve the best and can't be bothered to actually do any cooking..
I've been in too many homes (thru work) where prepackaged food boxes have been received. A good portion gets thrown out cuz they already have too much rice, peanut butter, etc. or just don't like it. They won't return it to charity of fear it may decrease ability to receive more. Food banks only get dog food from me!
The children I've seen in these homes have fun opening gifts, but are generally disappointed cuz they want the highly advertised "toy of the year". Toys go same route as the rice - in the garbage

Old 11-27-2013, 05:03 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
My church gets a list of a few families and their "wish lists" and we put them on a felt tree ornament and parishioners choose one and buy the gift. I took the 13-year-old girl who wants mystery novels. I don't know who this kid is, but when I was 13 I loved to read mysteries, too.

None of the lists included expensive or electronic gifts. Maybe the organization (it's the VNA--there is usually illness in the family) cautions the recipients against asking for high-end stuff. They also needs things like coats and socks.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:43 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Socks are a great idea as are sidewalk chalks.

Most elementary kids like Garfield & other cartoon books, I Spy books, pinball games, a lego shape. Little girls like small, cuddly stuffed animals & animal shaped pillows. Everyone loves chococolate shapes, unless there are nut/etc allergies.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:00 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
young kids (boys) like legos... I did, my nephew does. Not necessarily the fancy sets, just the big bulk containers of blocks like these.

Amazon.com: LEGO Ultimate Building Set - 405 Pieces (6166): Toys & Games

Too bad because the legos that I had as a kid could have been basically re-used since they haven't changed much over the last 25 years. Whether storing something for 30 years just to save 40-50 bucks is worth it is another issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics