U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 06:40 PM

5,048 posts, read 3,331,835 times

Advertisements

They've experimented with dollar coins... Americans won't take to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 07:46 PM

260 posts, read 245,883 times
The dollar changed value so much that it is now feasible to have a 7 dollar bill.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:43 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,742,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
They've experimented with dollar coins... Americans won't take to them.
That is because they left dollar bills in circulation. Start withdrawing dollar bills at the same time as introducing coins and Americans will get used to them. Just like they did in most other developed countries.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:59 PM

1,013 posts, read 739,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
This is something I have personally wanted for years... to eliminate the lincoln cent and round everything to the nearest nickel, and eliminate the paper dollar and have people use the coins instead. They should do both at the same time, so the change drawers at stores won't be affected.

What do you people think? I suspect the resistance to eliminating the dollar has to do with vending machines. As for pennies, I don't see how they are of any use anymore and it costs more to make them than they are worth. I just throw them on the ground when I get them or I'll give them, along with nickels and dimes, to small kids as I pass by them in the grocery store, or set them where they will see them and pick them up. I'm curious what people here think about this?

A nickel now has less buying power than a penny in 1950 and they got by just fine. You're not going to go broke from having to pay 3 extra cents in a transaction.. over the course of a year you might lose 10 bucks and that's a very liberal estimate, probably more like 2 bucks. Whoop de doo.

I dislike dollar bills in my wallet as much as pennies in my pocket. I don't mind dollar coins and would rather dig one out of my pocket for a vending machine than try to stuff a crumpled up bill into one and have it spit it back out half the time. Bills should be for larger transactions, and coins for smaller. The cent has outlived it's usefulness, as has the dollar bill.

Oh, and it would save the government lots of money.

Thoughts?
perhaps instead of getting rid of current money it is the fact that prices are too high that made money worthless?
you think?

inflation is a b----.

blame yourself or god.
save the government money when it is intentionally trying to waste money.

well they may as well keep going then.
it will stimulate the economy after all right?

so they say...
of course the free money from the FED would never go to the people though.

so you can blame certain scumbags for the state of the currency.
the money itself is innocent but the policy makers aren't.

so then.
it's like saying
you: "penny we need to talk"
penny: huh wha?
you: "you see you are useless now"
penny: "i am?"
you: "yes you are"
penny: "but I did everything you told me to I even changed my body to zinc instead of copper are you still not happy?"
you: "sorry penny we are through"
penny: "but but I did everything for you how could you do this to me. my copper is now all gone. I can't go back now. *sniff*"
you: "sorry penny *leaves room*"
penny: "cries in the corner *thinks* (I should have stayed copper, then people would still want me...why am I all zinc now...)"

if only he didn't listen to the inflationists to change himself into a worthless coin...
too bad penny. too bad.

gg.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:25 AM

5,048 posts, read 3,331,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
That is because they left dollar bills in circulation. Start withdrawing dollar bills at the same time as introducing coins and Americans will get used to them. Just like they did in most other developed countries.
American's don't like coins in general.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:17 PM

574 posts, read 556,597 times
Quote:
It's not a question of "liking". It's called not making it an option. I don't particularly like coins either. But when you don't have any choice, you make do. I was in Japan earlier this year, and the only two bills they have are 1000 Yen ($10) and 10000 Yen ($100). Everything else is coins. They even have a 500 Yen ($5) coin! And I survived just fine with this.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:25 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,742,795 times
Quote:
Maybe we should have a 25c bill then.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:00 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,162,589 times
We could talk about logical steps our government could take with the currency system until we are blue in the face. The plain fact is that cash itself will probably disappear from the economy in favor of electronic payments long before our government decides to do anything that actually makes sense.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:17 AM

8,865 posts, read 4,829,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
We could talk about logical steps our government could take with the currency system until we are blue in the face. The plain fact is that cash itself will probably disappear from the economy in favor of electronic payments long before our government decides to do anything that actually makes sense.
Would it?

I mentioned before the stripping industry and how many people depend on that kind, that form of currency exchange.

Even if we isolate stripping from carnivals, even if we say that such is a small part of the economy and doesn't matter, face two points about it.

First of all, the customer in that industry is primarily the Man and Men still pretty much run the world. Secondly, SEX SELLS.

When one gets into the action of taking away people's playtime, be it sports fishing (an example of a playtime, not of "Dead Presidents" exchange) or tucking dollars into waistbands, people tend to sit up and take notice.

So does it actually "make sense"?

Old 11-18-2014, 04:53 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,058,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
So does it actually "make sense"?
0% sense in every way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or